Driving NY Metro area to Orlando - tell me the good, bad and ugly!

janey99

DIS Veteran
DH and I are toying with the idea of driving to Disney from central NJ in August. It will be us and our 2 boys, 3 and 12. Car is a Ford Explorer.

DH thinks it will be an adventure that we will look back on and say "remember when . . ." I'm not so sure.

If you've done it this distance (about 1100 miles) - what was your experience? Did you love the experience or hate it? Did you power through or take a liesurely pace? How long did it take? Where did you stop for the night? I want to hear all the gory details.

Thanks!

Jane

In December we drove back from Orlando to NYC, we left at 8:30 and made it to NY by 11:30 we drove thru the night.

Our kids are 3 and 9 and they did fabulous. This was a rental car.

Fast forward to August 2011 we are driving our Dodge Durango from Queens to WDW we are driving thru so we are thinking it will take about 18 hours.

Did you and your DH switch off driving? How often? Did your kids sleep through a large portion?

Our first thought is to do one day of heavy driving, sleep in a hotel somewhere along the way one night, and then do a much lighter day of driving the next day, to arrive by early afternoon.

I hadn't thought of driving overnight, but we could consider it.

Jane

Wait, I just did the math - it took you 15 hours the first time, but you think it will take 18 this coming time? Why?

I did it about 8 years ago, when I was stationed in Atlantic City. I was the only driver, with mom along to help with the kids. We left early in the morning and made it to SC that afternoon. We stayed in Gaffney and visited with family that night and the next morning. We left after breakfast and were in Orlando around suppper time. My kids then were 4, 4, 9, and 10, and one was extremely ADHD. It honestly wasn't that bad. I was tired from all the driving, we only stopped when we absolutely had to, and Grandma wanted more bathroom breaks then the kids did lol. We stayed off-site the first night, then checked in to WDW the next morning. On the way back, we left after breakfast and stopped when I got to tired to drive. We left after breakfast the next morning and were home that evening. We didn't have a dvr in the car then, drove a minivan, and I only bought a few things for the kids to play with in the car. Even my hyper kid wasn't bad on the drive. The biggest complaint they had was we went in Dec. that year and it was colder in FL then it was in NJ! They were looking forward to swimming and it just didn't happen that year lol.

We drove from Central PA to Orlando this past fall. We had flown every other trip, and DH really wanted to drive. The trip was about 1020 miles. We took I-95 down, leaving at 3am so we would get through DC before rush hour. I didn't time this right though, and would leave earlier (about 2am) next time. The early morning wakeup didn't really bother DH or I too much (we normally HATE waking up...ever). We stopped at about 8 for breakfast at a Denny's, then at 12ish at South of the Border, at some JR's tourist thing, a welcome center in Georgia. We stopped for the night about an hour south of Savannah and then ate dinner at a sit-down restaurant. Got to Disney the next day about noon. On the way back we took I-81 most of the way, and it was much more boring. We did stop at Natural Bridge and some restaurant shaped like a Pirate Ship. Would do 95 both ways next time.

My kids were 1 and 5. We had a DVD player but only used it once on the way back. The kids mostly slept, colored, read, or the oldest had a hand-held gamer.

We drove down from upstate NY back in Jan. It was us and our 2 kids plus my sister and brother. We left at like 11:30pm (DH didn't think it was a good idea to get a good nights sleep:rolleyes:), we got to a hotel we had previously booked outside of Atlanta, GA (it was a frickin dump, pics were deceiving) about 4pm. We stayed the night there and left the next morning and got to Disney around lunchtime. It was a nice drive and saved us more then a couple thousand dollars. Even though it was a nice drive.....it was LOOOOOOONG obviously, lol. I don't mind flying but you really miss a lot when flying. There's pros and cons to doing both. We had the portable DVD, books, activity books and games to keep the kids occupied, oh and tons of snacks and drinks. On the way home we stopped in VA beach for the night. Stayed right on the beach in a hotel that is normally seriously expensive in the summer. However it was like 30 degrees, lol....but at least we got to see and walk on the beach.

We done it numerous times from Central NJ. I felt the same as you and my dh thought it would be an adventure.

When we drove down in our RV, it was an adventure. So comfortable and easy to travel with kids in an RV (you have a bathroom, fridge, microwave, couches, TV including in motion satellite dish). When we drove in our Chevy Blazer, it was not quite as much fun, but it was OK. Either way, it was neat to get off the highway occassionally and see the country. I can remember looking out the window with my then 5 yr old and wondering for a moment what all that white stuff was.... cotton fields!

We've pretty much always tried to do the trip in 2 days, driving as far as possible on day 1. We've had luck just finding a decent hotel somewhere. With the RV, it was even easier, because we could just park in a truck stop. Not something I ever thought I would do, but it worked and was definitely an adventure!

We've driven twice from Rhode Island (2008, 2010), and it took about 23 hours including stops. Everyone kept telling us what a horror show it was going to be but...and I know I sound weird saying this, it was fine! My kids were almost 5, almost 7 and 9 our first trip. The key for us was to leave early (3:00 am) to beat NY traffic and DC traffic. It worked wonderfully and we made it to South Carolina by 6:00 that night. We stayed in a motel and were on the road at 8, pulled into Disney at 4:00. The kids stayed busy with DVD's, books on tape, and plain old car games (their favorite was coloring US maps after seeing license plates with the states on them). Oh yeah, and I stocked up on stuff for them to do at the dollar store - coloring books, small puzzes, and also food!
Our first trip my husband drove the whole way - and was basically comatose for two days since he was exhausted. Last year I drove too (not through NY though). It's a really easy drive and we hit no traffic either time. Our way home both times we drove straight. Leaving at 5 am and arriving home at 1am. Both trips the kids conked from an exhausting week at 6 pm and never woke up until we got home.
This year, we are flying (my dh does not want to drive again) Plane tickets were 1800, car rental 450. So you definitely save a LOT if you drive.
HTH~
Jen :lovestruc dh :cool2: ds 11 pirate: ds 9pirate: dd 7 princess:

:banana:21 days till our Disney Vacation!

We drive to Disney from Central NJ about twice a year.

We usually leave right after work and drive until about 2 am. Stay over in a motel along route 95 and then get an early start. We are usually on the road again by 8 am. The first night, depending on traffic, we usually make it to southern Virginia or sometimes pretty far into North Carolina.

We then will make it to WDW in the early evening...usually by 7 pm. We'll check into a hotel outside Disney and then start fresh on our Disney vacation the following morning.

Our advice after taking this trip at least 35 times......NEVER drive straight through the night. Don't risk someone being too tired to drive. Also, if you go straight through the night, someone's clock will be off for the first couple of days of the trip.

We find that the first overnight is short....even with only about 5 hours of sleep, it is enough to keep the driver engergized and avoid falling asleep behind the wheel.

Our alternate strategy is to leave for the World at @ 3 am. Have the driver go to sleep @ 9 pm......and start driving at 3 am. You'll arrive at Disney at about 8pm or so. Again, get a good night's rest and hit WDW fresh the next morning.

We live in Bergen County, NJ (approx 6 miles from the GWB) and have made the drive to Disney a few times. We have experimented with leaving at different times (very early a.m., afternoon, early evening and late evening) and we prefer to leave in the early evening, shortly after dinner. We also prefer to drive straight through but, we have stopped over for the night in Santee, S.C (it's approx. 12 hours from our house to Santee).
The kids also prefer to leave in the early evening because they sleep through alot of the drive (overnight) and then it doesn't feel like such a long drive to them.

Our usual driving routine:
*since we leave shortly after dinner this is what we do.
-day of departure I try to sleep as much as possible during the day because I am the overnight driver.
-try to tire the kids out before you leave by bike riding, playing kick ball, running around etc.
-have the kids take a warm shower or bath before you leave to relax them
-if your child is prone to car sickness make sure they take dramamine 30 minutes or so before you leave
-comfy clothing is a must for long car rides (sweats and t's or shorts and t's)
-each child brings their own pillow and blanket
-DVD's for the car ( a few old favorites and a few new selections) the kids take turns picking the movie to watch
-each child packs a bag (that they keep near them) with things to occupy them: nintendo DS, books, travel board games (we have connect Four, trouble, scrabble and a couple of others), notebook or sketch book and colored pencils (crayons will melt quickly in the car in the southern summer heat), I-pods

*DH usually starts off the drive and then I take over sometime after midnight or so and I drive through the night while everyone sleeps. I use my I-pod so that I can listen to music but not disturb anyone (only use 1 ear bud so you can hear emergency vehicles etc.). I keep a bottle of water and a couple of snacks within easy reach in case I get the munchies (a ziploc with grapes and a ziploc with M&M's are my car munchies of choice).
DH usually takes over driving again either shortly before we stop for breakfast or right after. The rest of the drive we usually switch off every couple of hours or so.

What we pack to eat:
Cooler:
-small water bottles
-juice boxes
-fruit (apples, grapes etc.)
-string cheese
-sandwiches (sometimes)

snack bag:
-mini cereal boxes
-mini muffins
-cookies
-gold fish crackers
-granola bars
-M&M's
-mini bagels are also good

Misc:
-roll of paper towels
-wet wipes (for cleaning hands and faces etc.)
-box of small wastebasket size garbage bags (emergency vomit bags, garbage, misc.)
-small notebook (great for license plate game, notes etc.)
-pens

*we also pack a ball and a frisbee so that the kids can burn off some energy at some of the rest stops, 10 or 15 minutes makes a huge difference when sitting in the car for a long time. (when the kids were little we would stop at a fast food place for lunch that had a "play place" so the kids could run around for 30 minutes after they ate).
*Earplugs are a must for the other driver (allows the other driver to get a bit more rest even when the kids are awake)
*headphones for the car TV are wonderful (they can listen to their movies without bothering anyone else)
*If you have a child in a car seat try putting a small suitcase or cooler on the floor in front of them that they can rest their feet on so their feet aren't dangling for hours and hours, it really does help with their comfort level.
*when you stop for gas everyone uses the restroom!

**Please remember to stop when you feel tired and don't push it. Taking a power nap (1-2 hours ) at a rest area will really help, many many people do this.

DH never wanted to do the long drive but, I managed to convince him about 6 years ago and after the first drive down he says he will never fly to Disney again. We all really look forward to the drive, for us it's part of the adventure and we will be making the drive again in June.
Good Luck!!

We just drove down from March 31- April 9. It was myself and my husband, our five children and my sister. We drove my Chevy Trailblazer EXT that has a DVD player. We left NW Ohio at 7:30 am and stopped at a Country Inn and Suites at exit 99 off of I-75 in Cordelle, GA. It was nice for being an unscheduled stop and had two beds and a pull out sofa in each room. We rested overnight and left again right after an early breakfast. We arrived around 1 pm to our resort (off-site) in Orlando.

This was our third trip driving to Orlando. Our children are 17, 12, 11, 4, and 3. They were very well behaved and we only needed to stop for gas and to use restrooms and stretch out. With as many people mas we had for this trip, we needed about 20 minutes each time we stopped. It worked out great! We did have snacks and drinks packed for the ride and that helped tremendously!They also watched movies and listened to I-pods on the drive.

Take time to stop when you need it and don't try to push yourself if you are tired. I liked leaving early and driving as much daylight time as possible. Next time I think we will leave even earlier (5am). Some coffee and an early start will get you further the first part of your trip so the next day you can arrive into Orlando early.

We would have drove straight through on our way home, but due to multiple traffic stops because of accidents (don't know why, it was beautiful outside)
we only made it to Lexington, KY and stayed overnight.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip!

This is such great info from everyone, particularly mousebymarriage - it's practically a handbook!

Everyone's positive experiences make this seem pretty doable.

Anyone with anything to add, please jump in!

Thanks again,:goodvibes

Jane

We drove from the Boston area to Disney back in November with our three and a half year old triplets. If we can do it, anyone can. It really wasn't that bad - it was hard on the kids though. They were in various stages of a cold/cough thing and didn't really sleep as much as we thought.

Here's a summary of our trip down from my blog. (On the way back, we stopped in DC to spend an afternoon/night at my BIL/SIL's house.)

Massachusetts to Orlando, FL
Road Journal

Thursday, November 11, 2010

4:29 AM - Welcome to Rhode Island!

5:09 AM - Welcome to Connecticut!

7:03 AM - Welcome to New York!

7:28 AM - Welcome to New Jersey!

10:31 AM - Welcome to Delaware!

10:45 AM - Welcome to Maryland!

12:21 PM - Virginia welcomes us!

4:31 PM - Welcome to North Carolina!

7:46 PM - Welcome to Lumberton, NC. Time for bed. We have traveled 789 miles.

Friday, November 12, 2010

8:55 AM - On the road again.

9:16 AM - Welcome to South Carolina!

12:28 PM - Welcome! We're glad Georgia's on your mind.

3:02 PM - Welcome to Florida!

6:00 PM - Hello, Orlando! Your traffic is just like Boston's.

6:40 PM - Welcome to Walt Disney World!

6:44 PM - Welcome to Port Orleans, Riverside! FINALLY. We have traveled 1,307 miles.

I forgot to add that there is a board on here somewhere with lots of driving posts. Travel board? Something like that....
Jen:lovestruc dh :cool2: ds 11pirate: ds 9pirate: dd 7 princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter