Driving NS to Orlando

poffles

Dreamin' Disney
I considered driving down for my last trip but we flew instead, but here I am again planning a drive mid July and my biggest struggle, aside from avoiiding high traffic times, is knowing where to stop each night and get cheap lodging.

For those that have driven recently from Nova Scotia (Halifax), where do you stop each day and does the cost of lodging in that area affect your choice or is it more dependant on the time of day?

It is two adults driving so we thought we would drive maybe 10 or more hours a day but that is flexible. I've driven to Wrentham, MA in one day so I have a concept of how long a drive you can do in the first day but after that we are open to suggestions. We do not want to drive all night as we feel this would ruin the trip when we arrive at Disney and where is the fun in that.

Thanks all.

I considered driving down for my last trip but we flew instead, but here I am again planning a drive mid July and my biggest struggle, aside from avoiiding high traffic times, is knowing where to stop each night and get cheap lodging.

For those that have driven recently from Nova Scotia (Halifax), where do you stop each day and does the cost of lodging in that area affect your choice or is it more dependant on the time of day?

It is two adults driving so we thought we would drive maybe 10 or more hours a day but that is flexible. I've driven to Wrentham, MA in one day so I have a concept of how long a drive you can do in the first day but after that we are open to suggestions. We do not want to drive all night as we feel this would ruin the trip when we arrive at Disney and where is the fun in that.

Thanks all.

We've considered driving a few times, but when we considered the lost time there and back, the cost of meals, gas, lodging etc, we just flew from halifax. I would consider next time to drive to Portland Maine as I've seen better rates from there - and only 8 hours drive - so much better use of my precious vacation time and patience !

We have driven a couple of times. The most recent was probably 5 years ago. We now drive to Portland or Bangor and fly from there. :goodvibes

The last few times we drove all the way to Orlando, we stopped outside of Boston on our first night. The next day we got up early, on the road for around 5:00 am, and drove through to Northern North Carolina. This was by far the longest day. We used to live in Washington,DC so the traffic doesn't bother us, but usually encounter slow downs in this area. :confused3. This second day was anywhere from 14-17 hours, depending on traffic :confused:

The third day is usually around 12 hours or so but the kids were so excited by then, they did not seem to mind it.:thumbsup2

We considered driving last summer but were able to snag airfare from Bangor for $200.00 each :woohoo:

We have driven a couple of times. The most recent was probably 5 years ago. We now drive to Portland or Bangor and fly from there. :goodvibes

The last few times we drove all the way to Orlando, we stopped outside of Boston on our first night. The next day we got up early, on the road for around 5:00 am, and drove through to Northern North Carolina. This was by far the longest day. We used to live in Washington,DC so the traffic doesn't bother us, but usually encounter slow downs in this area. :confused3. This second day was anywhere from 14-17 hours, depending on traffic :confused:

The third day is usually around 12 hours or so but the kids were so excited by then, they did not seem to mind it.:thumbsup2

We considered driving last summer but were able to snag airfare from Bangor for $200.00 each :woohoo:

What do you do with your car in Bangor, leave it in Park & Ride?

I'm thinking of driving from Nova Scotia next March...maybe to Bangor or Portland and a flight from there if I can get cheap airfare and the difference is big enough to warrant driving to Maine. The way flight prices are right now, anything will help. :)

So, to update the poster's question above, do you just pay long term parking at Bangor or Portland?

I just booked (again) Portland to Orlando for the summer. Non stop, 5 people for $997.00 US:goodvibes. We have 3 kids so we do stay over the night before in Portland. The hotel we stay at is a Holiday Inn (free hot breakfast) and they have a park and fly program,which adds $$ onto the nightly rate, but we like the convenience of the free shuttle to/from the airport. When we get home, we pick our car up from the hotel and keep driving home.

Really? Awesome tip on the hotel and parking Bea.

What site did you book those tickets on? I've been surfing Expedia and Travelocity and can't find anything that good. :)

wow thats a great price! we've stayed in south portland for the past two summers. we stayed at the what was the whyndam and now is sheraton- or the other way around. the two round towers. nice hotel, but we had the military discount to get it for cheap. theres also a days inn just down the street about 80$ a nite. not too bad.

i've looked into flying out of maine, and could never find the bargains.

canabrits2 ... look at airtran.com jetblue.com or continental.com

parking? Embassy Suites has a park and fly package for the low $200 range, but Howard Johnston, south has a $99 package (1 night and up to 16 days parking, plus shuttle)

canabrits2 ... look at airtran.com jetblue.com or continental.com

parking? Embassy Suites has a park and fly package for the low $200 range, but Howard Johnston, south has a $99 package (1 night and up to 16 days parking, plus shuttle)

Thanks!!! Will look at those sites.

I was just looking at stay and park deals at the Hojo in Portland, and came up with $82 total for 1 night stay and up to 20 days parking. That was for the end of April. Figured the place must be a dump for that kind of money, but the reviews are pretty good on trip advisor!

This thread has been the best medicine for my Disney addiction, ever..... I may never fly out of over-priced Halifax ever again.

For that money, I wouldn't even care if the Ho Jo in Portland turned out to be a dump....I know Disney is not a dump once I get there. lol

We are planning on driving to Portland, then flying to Orlando with JetBlue. We are renting a van and using it while we are there and driving it back to Portland. We will than return the van and pick up our car and drive home. One way rentals out of Florida this time of year are cheap!!! 10 dollars a day for compacts and 12 for full size and minivans with Alamo and National. Combine the one way deal with the walmart code and $25 dollar off coupon, van rental works out to $140 for 10 days. That is the paln as of today anyway.

I often use Kayak.com to compare prices for airfare and hotels. For our flights from Portland, I booked airtan directly from their own website. We have flown with them before and always had good experiences. The flight we got are direct.:cool1:

I will check into hojo. For now we are booked at Holiday Inn South Portland for $115.00 a night (gov't rate) but that doesn't include parking. I will call this w/e about that additional expense. I know they have park/fly package advertised on their website, but the package was around $200.00/night:happytv:

Last year (March) we did the drive to Portland, park and fly at hojos north, flight to Orlando with Jet Blue.

Flight was ridiculously cheap, I believe it was $89 each way per person.

Park and fly was free with a night's accomodations at Hojos.

I wasn't very impressed with Hojos. The place was a little run down, and our room had a leak in the ceiling that made a nice big wet spot on the carpet. I reported it, but the front staff acted like it wasn't something new. I asked to move to another room but all they had left was the smoking floor. I took a quick run up to check out the floor..... disgusting. As soon as you open the door from the stairwell, the stench of smoke hit you, it was really bad.

I kindly refused the offer to move up there and asked if they would like to come to the room to see where the leak was. They said no, in a manner that left me thinking they knew about the leak. I was offered $20 off the nightly rate for the inconvenience. I accepted it.

It ended up being a good 9 hour drive from our house. For the savings, it was a good deal becasue it was March break and flights from Halifax were ridiculously expensive. But, to do it again the savings would have to be at least $1000 to be worth, IMO.

Last year (March) we did the drive to Portland, park and fly at hojos north, flight to Orlando with Jet Blue.

Flight was ridiculously cheap, I believe it was $89 each way per person.

Park and fly was free with a night's accomodations at Hojos.

I wasn't very impressed with Hojos. The place was a little run down, and our room had a leak in the ceiling that made a nice big wet spot on the carpet. I reported it, but the front staff acted like it wasn't something new. I asked to move to another room but all they had left was the smoking floor. I took a quick run up to check out the floor..... disgusting. As soon as you open the door from the stairwell, the stench of smoke hit you, it was really bad.

I kindly refused the offer to move up there and asked if they would like to come to the room to see where the leak was. They said no, in a manner that left me thinking they knew about the leak. I was offered $20 off the nightly rate for the inconvenience. I accepted it.

It ended up being a good 9 hour drive from our house. For the savings, it was a good deal becasue it was March break and flights from Halifax were ridiculously expensive. But, to do it again the savings would have to be at least $1000 to be worth, IMO.

We go to South Portland every summmer in July and August. We love the shopping. :banana: We always stay at the Holiday Inn in South Portland. Go to know about the Hojo. How was the Holiday Inn & Suites Universal. We are thinking about next February with the extended break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter