Driving in L.A.

BecBennett

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
I know I've seen something like this posted before, but I can't find it.

I'm trying to convince my fiance that he'll be fine driving in L.A, who else can back me up with this?

How easy is it? He's fine driving all over Sydney, and he drove to the shops last time we were in Connecticut, but he's not too sure about L.A...

I'll back you up.

For me, the hardest bit about driving in LA is getting out of the car hire parking lot and merging on to the first freeway. The only time we've ever come close to have an accident in the US is in the car hire parking lot :rotfl2:.

If your fiance is a macho sort of a bloke, perhaps he might change his mind about driving in LA if you tell him that a "girlie" (me) drives in LA everytime she goes there. ;)

The LA drivers tend to drive a little bit too close for my liking but in general, they are pretty courteous and let you in, if you indicate.

We hired a car and drive everywhere, San Diego, Vegas, back Anaheim and into LA a couple of times.
We also hired a GPS which was a godsend :laughing: otherwise who knows where we would have ended up.
I thought the freeways were easy to drive on, just follow the traffic really, actually found the traffic moved more freely than the Monash here in Melbourne :)
I was pretty hesitant at first but once I started I wanted to do all the driving.

I was only on the highways of LA going back and forth from LAX to Disneyland, but they seemed like a nightmare to me, NO way Jose if it was me having to drive. :rotfl:
Sorry can not back you up I live in Connecticut and LA was not anything like it is here.
Any reason you can not do the driving if you think it is so "easy"?

I'll back you up.

For me, the hardest bit about driving in LA is getting out of the car hire parking lot and merging on to the first freeway. The only time we've ever come close to have an accident in the US is in the car hire parking lot :rotfl2:.
Oh I totally agree!!! It is the car hire lot that is the problem :scared1:
Once you get out it is free and easy :lmao:

The LA drivers tend to drive a little bit too close for my liking but in general, they are pretty courteous and let you in, if you indicate.
I also agree with this.
My last drive in LA was from Disneyland to LAX and although there was traffic as long as you go with the flow I find it generally easier to get through and change lanes. It is a different experience to Sydney.
I found Sydney traffic WORSE when I got back home.

My only issue with driving is getting onto the flippin freeways. :lmao:
But once you are on....gone are the days of Victoria road and the M4 :eek:

I was only on the highways of LA going back and forth from LAX to Disneyland, but they seemed like a nightmare to me, NO way Jose if it was me having to drive. :rotfl:
Sorry can not back you up I live in Connecticut and LA was not anything like it is here.
Any reason you can not do the driving if you think it is so "easy"?

I really only referred to him driving in Connecticut to say that's he's done the other side of the road thing :laughing:

Driving in CT is also nothing like driving in Sydney, lots of traffic, can be many lanes - and thinking about Parramatta Road here - can be very small tight lanes! :rotfl:

I would drive, but I haven't yet done the other side of the road thing, plus he's one of those manly men - of the belief that if he's in the car - and sober :lmao: - then he's the driver :confused3

I think he's willing to do it, but it helps if I can show him that lot's of Australian's have done it, and not including being on the wrong side of the road, it's just like Sydney.

I'm going to be a wuss and save my US driving experience for Hawaii. Yes, I drive in Sydney every day (Hume Hwy and part of M5), but the thought of getting on one of those freeways scares me! I mentioned to my hubby last night that I was planning on hiring a car on Oahu for a couple of days, and he told me a cheering story of friends of his who had a 'traffic incident' just outside of the airport, costing them $2000! That would be me LOL.

I'm going to be a wuss and save my US driving experience for Hawaii. Yes, I drive in Sydney every day (Hume Hwy and part of M5), but the thought of getting on one of those freeways scares me! I mentioned to my hubby last night that I was planning on hiring a car on Oahu for a couple of days, and he told me a cheering story of friends of his who had a 'traffic incident' just outside of the airport, costing them $2000! That would be me LOL.

:scared1: I just had a vision of myself trying to drive along Kalakaua Ave in Waikiki and sitting in a taxi with him/her dodging the traffic trying to get out of our hotel, very scary, LOL. You are more game than I, I'd still be terrified to drive in Honolulu but I'm terrified to drive anywhere on the other side of the road. I have images of a friends father when I was younger, driving in Europe and turning down a street and next thing we had all of this traffic coming straight for us :lmao:

Oahu still has some freeways and very scary drivers and roads/traffic. But there are some parts of the island that it would be lovely to drive around.

OK, so now I'm leaning more towards doing an organised tour of the North Shore instead of driving myself LOL. My daughter is the worst backseat driver :-)

I know I've seen something like this posted before, but I can't find it.

I'm trying to convince my fiance that he'll be fine driving in L.A, who else can back me up with this?

Whats wrong with the bloke ??:lmao::rotfl:

Driving in LA is fine - I drove Anaheim to San Diego , Anaheim to Universal also Anaheim to Cabazon outlets , plus locally in Anaheim .

Easy no problems except sometimes becasue the wheel is on the wrong side:lmao: I would drift a little - my wife and kids would just say drifting dad !!

Make sure you get GPS though - it was a godsend and well worth it !

It really is no harder than driving around Sydney and in fact sometimes easier once you're on the freeways.:thumbsup2

Driving is easy in the states seriously. A good map (or GPS), a little bit of patience, and the full awareness that the bloke who you may want to give a gob full to, may have a handgun in his glovebox, leads to a remarkably relaxed driving experience.

:-):lmao:

I've driven part of the way from Vegas to LA, that was pretty easy as it was on a reasonably boring stretch of road! :lmao:

You will find that you're super alert as it's so weird initially, but the biggest thing is REMEMBER TO PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON! I recall my Dad forgetting a few times when we visited Hawaii in my teens...

We're hiring a car this time but just for our side trip from Irvine (where my BFF lives, so handy of her!) to San Diego, so probably won't be facing the mad freeways.

They can't be any worse than the arrogant Auckland drivers...

Driving is easy in the states seriously. A good map (or GPS), a little bit of patience, and the full awareness that the bloke who you may want to give a gob full to, may have a handgun in his glovebox, leads to a remarkably relaxed driving experience.

:-):lmao:
omg...so true.
The thing that stops you from tooting is that simple fact.
There was one freeway trip where this minivan was in the left lane (yes left lane ;) ) and going just under the speed limit and driving people nuts.
Now a road train in Queensland would have blasted him and driven over him but no tooting...just tailgaiting! :lmao:

As mentioned above it is drifting into the gutter (so to the right) that is all you need to watch.

I would much rather be driving there than in Sydney :eek:

Tell him the trick is ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN DRIVING IN THE USA KEEP YOUR WIFE IN THE GUTTER. :rotfl:

I've driven part of the way from Vegas to LA, that was pretty easy as it was on a reasonably boring stretch of road! :lmao:

You will find that you're super alert as it's so weird initially, but the biggest thing is REMEMBER TO PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON! I recall my Dad forgetting a few times when we visited Hawaii in my teens...

We're hiring a car this time but just for our side trip from Irvine (where my BFF lives, so handy of her!) to San Diego, so probably won't be facing the mad freeways.

They can't be any worse than the arrogant Auckland drivers...
You should be fine but depending on when you leave Irvine for SD, there are some stretches along the 5 fwy that get pretty busy. Especially around the San Clemente/ Camp Pendleton area. I've been stuck there for several hours before going only a few inches every few minutes! L.A. and Orange County are fairly easy to drive, a GPS is good because there are so many freeways that intersect and go off all different directions etc... My wife and I both grew up around L.A., however she was more in O.C. and knows the CA freeways like the back of her hand. I would constantly get lost and she can find 8 different ways to get somewhere. The good thing is that if you get off at the wrong exit, you can easily get right back on where you left off. In other parts of the country, a wrong exit will put you miles out of the way.

Another tip for those with smart phones or internet access would be to check out www.sigalert.com for up to date traffic conditions for most of Southern California.

Enjoy your trip! I hope some day I'll be able to come back to this forum and ask for driving advice in Australia!

I love driving over there. Roads are wide and plenty of lanes. Drivers are courteous. All exits, roads etc are very well sign posted and finding your way is quite easy, and a good map helps as well (we prefer maps to GPS). Hardest part was staying in the lane and remembering the sea is on the west and not east (happens to me in Perth as well). It's easy and he shouldn't worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter