Driving in Florida!

Holstar

Have faith in your dreams <3
Heya guys!

Quick question... I've read a lot of contradictory information regarding whether we'll (well, my OH) need an International Driving Permit for Florida?

We're hiring with Alamo if that's any help, though I've not found anything on their website.

No the IDP isn't required.

There was briefly a law last year but that was quickly repealed.

No, it's not needed. As Tracy said, there was law put in place, which was later repealed.

the RAC, AA and DVLA websites all say that while it is technically not needed the hire car companies may refuse to pay if you have an accident and don't have one. For £5.50 is it worth the risk? You can get it from your local post office.

From the AA website "USA (Florida)
Compulsory IDP
A law was introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requiring all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

Latest - 3 April 2013
The Governor of Florida has repealed the law requiring all drivers holding a licence issued outside of the USA to hold an International Driving Permit (IDP).

It is therefore no longer a compulsory requirement for UK licence holders to hold an International Driving Permit when visiting the State of Florida .

However, car hire companies and insurance companies can impose their own terms and conditions so we advise that you check with your intended company prior to travel or obtain an IDP as a precautionary measure."

the RAC, AA and DVLA websites all say that while it is technically not needed the hire car companies may refuse to pay if you have an accident and don't have one. For £5.50 is it worth the risk? You can get it from your local post office.

From the AA website "USA (Florida)
Compulsory IDP
A law was introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requiring all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

Latest - 3 April 2013
The Governor of Florida has repealed the law requiring all drivers holding a licence issued outside of the USA to hold an International Driving Permit (IDP).

It is therefore no longer a compulsory requirement for UK licence holders to hold an International Driving Permit when visiting the State of Florida .

However, car hire companies and insurance companies can impose their own terms and conditions so we advise that you check with your intended company prior to travel or obtain an IDP as a precautionary measure."

None of the main car hire companies have the IDP as a requirement in their terms and conditions.

In fact when the law was introduced it took them several weeks to even catch up that it might be required.

All an IDP does is translate the licence into English so completly not needed. :)

was on my Disney to-do list today to sort my driving permit, but looks like its not needed :crazy2:

if its not needed by uk driving licence holders why does the post office still sell them lol, arghhhhh :lmao:

was on my Disney to-do list today to sort my driving permit, but looks like its not needed :crazy2:

if its not needed by uk driving licence holders why does the post office still sell them lol, arghhhhh :lmao:

Possibly for other countries or DL not in English. Not required for UK DL in US though.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter