• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving in Dec

wisegal

Mouseketeer
Hi

I am thinking of driving down to Disneyland the week between Christmas and New Years. We would be driving from Port Moody BC (near Vancouver). I know it is straight down the I5. My question is about the mountain passes/ how are they during that time of the year?

Thanks
Nicole

The passes can be tricky - a lot of it will depend on what kind of weather we have. The first pass you need to worry about will be in Eugene, OR (the Cascades) about 2 hours south of Portland- these generally aren't too bad- it's about 4 peaks. The next one is the Siskyous (about 3 hours from the Cascades) and these will sometimes be closed if the weather is especially bad. Your best bet is to hit these early in the day- definitely carry chains and be ready to put them on if needed. We lived near the siskyous when I grew up and my father drove the Greyhound bus over them. I would allow extra time in case of closure of the road.

I would not suggest doing this at all. Can you take a more coastal route? I know it takes longer, but those mountain passes in the Winter are scary.

Maybe you should check the price on flights. Virgin America out of Sea-tac sometimes runs about $189 RT - wonderful airline.

I would not suggest doing this at all. Can you take a more coastal route? I know it takes longer, but those mountain passes in the Winter are scary.

Maybe you should check the price on flights. Virgin America out of Sea-tac sometimes runs about $189 RT - wonderful airline.

I agree with both of those!

The Siskyous are downright frightening, and the other drivers are even scarier.

Check out VA, Alaska, etc. Not from Vancouver (b/c it tends to be FAR more expensive out of Vancouver), but from Seattle. I'd take Amtrak down to Seattle, cab it over to the airport area, and either catch a night flight or stay over one night and catch a morning flight.

I agree with the person who suggested to take a coastal route if you have to drive down. It's scenic and less dangerous.

I agree with everyone else. I would NOT do that drive at that time. My husband and I moved from the San Juan's to San Diego in Jan. 2009. There was a terrible snow storm and we were stuck for two days in the Grant's Pass area because it was shut down. On the third day they opened the roads to drivers with chains only, so we bought a set at a gas station and finally got back on the road. It was not a pleasant ordeal!

Also once your on the 5 in Ca and almost to Anaheim, you've got the Grapevine to deal with....and it does close down due to snow and ice......I would check into flights for such a long trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter