• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

driving I65 thru Louisville

hearts8701

Castle
anyone driving to disney i just was wondering if anyone experienced long delays using I65 interstate traffic thru Louisville leaving next tuesday and i wasn't sure if the constuction delay from I64 was still an issue

Played golf last week at Disney with a gentleman from Louisville. Told him I drove down from Chicago area via I-57 in stead of I-65. He said great choice!!!
He said unless you go thru at 3 am, don't bother......its a big mess. Reports of people in traffic for 2+ hours at certain times of the day.

Absolutely avoid 65 if you can it's a nightmare, just dealt with it driving home from my parents, thought it wouldn't be too bad since today is technically a holiday but I sat for about an hour just trying to get over the bridge

One of the major bridges that goes from New albany Indiana to Louisville Kentucky is closed for major repairs. They have re-routed traffic from New Albany to I-65 and it is a mess/disaster at peak travel times. I would avoid it if at all possible. The bridge in New Albany will be closed for several months.

I agree that if its not too far out of the way you should completely avoid I-65 around Louisville. The I-64 bridge at New Albany is still closed so the traffic issues will continue till March. If you must use I-65 avoid going through between 6-9 am and 4-7pm on weekdays. Of course random wrecks on either of the two remaining bridges can completely snarl traffic at any hour. Once you reach the interchange with I-265 stay in the far left lane of 65, you will get through a lot faster.

i drove down in november and we had a bit of traffic on I65 maybe a 10 minute delay on a early friday afternoon so thinking i would have the same luck traveling home on a saturday i used I65 again big mistake traffic was terrible we were stuck for about 45 minutes on a saturday i was hoping for improvement not a big fan of 57 so glad i asked

We drive from the Chicago area to Disney at least 4 times a year - and have found that I57 though IL to I24 to be the better route for us. The truck traffic on I65 is awful - and we find it extremely stressful.
I would give you a word of caution driving through GA on I75. Turner County (between mile marker 75 and 85) has a bunch of speed traps. There have been days where we have seen as many as 4 sheriffs' cars in each direction on that small stretch of road.

We drive from the Chicago area to Disney at least 4 times a year - and have found that I57 though IL to I24 to be the better route for us. The truck traffic on I65 is awful - and we find it extremely stressful.
I would give you a word of caution driving through GA on I75. Turner County (between mile marker 75 and 85) has a bunch of speed traps. There have been days where we have seen as many as 4 sheriffs' cars in each direction on that small stretch of road.

you are so right about the section of about 10 miles we travel down about
4-5 times a year we have seen state police on exit ramps on and the bridges over the highway with radar i normally like 65 because we live in the city and once we hit illinois coming back we are home on 57 when we hit illinois we still have over 5 hours to go i guess its just a mind over matter thing but until that bridge is fixed on 64 we will be traveling down on 57

You could also take I65 to I74 in Indy to I275/I75 in Cincinnati. 65 continues to be a mess.

I live in "the 'ville", and this week they randomly decided to fill potholes off one of our other 2 remaining bridges on a Thursday afternoon, thus causing traffic nightmares on every single highway that runs through the city. Save your sanity - stay away!

DH & I drove Thanksgiving week..We drive thur Indianapolis..but that stretch on I 65 can be a pistol sometimes...weather i mean. We would have come up I 57 but knew about the bridge work being done,so maybe another time..
My mom was from Southern Ill so i am very familiar with I-57....Its just such a boring ride to me...but ya those trucks on I-65..are horrible..
This month we are flying down!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter