driving from winnipeg

gizmom29

Earning My Ears
Hi all! been to Disney World many times always flew,has anyone driven from Winnipeg,if so what were the pros and cons thanks.:wizard:

We haven't driven, but I remember doing it as a child in a RV a couple times (once we stayed at Fort Wilderness and got to play at River Country- very cool!). We used to take about 3 days to get there and three back, and it was neat going on March/Easter break because the snow just gradually disappeared during the second day of driving.

I did do a CAA triptik out of curiousity a while back, and I recall the driving time to be about 31 hours from Winnipeg. This is the major drawback for us - you need at least two days down and two back which eats into your time there, especially if you only have a week of vacation time (we are stuck with school breaks - we tried summer once, and it was just too hot for us.

The pro is it is a pretty nice drive, especially in March where you drive into spring and greenery that is months away at home. I really liked those trips.

Man, that is one loooong drive. I guess if you had 2 weeks, spending most of one week driving (look at it as a fun road trip rather than just a 'must do' drive), then it could be good.

We drive from eastern Ontario and like to take our time- 3 days down and sometimes even longer to get back if we stop off to visit friends. We look at it as a vacation within our vacation.

But if you are driving 15-16 hrs a day just to get there and back, it's not fun any more. You'll have to look at the costs of driving vs flying as well, factoring in not just gas, but the cost of food and lodging (and some factor in wear and tear on the vehicle as well). For us, because we always use reward or loyalty points to stay free in the hotels, it's actually cheaper to drive.

I think it would depend on how much time and how many people. West Jet is now flying direct from Winnipeg to Orlando. I got flights booked for March (I booked them in November) for under $450 per person with taxes. It also depends on how many hours a day you want to drive. I am sure it is beautiful but I know from past trips to Disney World I would be too tired to drive all that way back. Good Luck choosing:goodvibes!

Hi, I was just booking our flights to go on a cruise March 11-16th, i found the prices on United reasonable... around 519.00/pp one way...
saves you alot of time and gives you a rest....

We are driving from Winnipeg in a few weeks. I can let you know when we get back :)

I think the drive would be okay if you had the time and could stop and see things along the way. My husband does not think it sounds fun at all!

We have flown from Grand Forks or Minnieapolis the last 4 trips...so much cheaper. We recently got flights for $250/return (including all fees and taxes) Our cheapest was $180.00/return.

I think the drive would be okay if you had the time and could stop and see things along the way. My husband does not think it sounds fun at all!

We have flown from Grand Forks or Minnieapolis the last 4 trips...so much cheaper. We recently got flights for $250/return (including all fees and taxes) Our cheapest was $180.00/return.

Did you fly Allegiant out of GF? If so how was it?

Did you fly Allegiant out of GF? If so how was it?

We will be flying Allegiant for the first time in February. Little nervous as it is our first time, but everyone I've talked to says it is fine...just no frills at all.

Allegiant flies into Sanford Airport, so that is different for us. We always rent a car, so it doesn't change much for us.

We will be flying Allegiant for the first time in February. Little nervous as it is our first time, but everyone I've talked to says it is fine...just no frills at all.

Allegiant flies into Sanford Airport, so that is different for us. We always rent a car, so it doesn't change much for us.

What did your tickets end up costing if you don't mind me asking?

I believe we paid just under $250.00 each after the taxes and fees. Had I booked the day before they were $40 cheaper :( Still good price thought!

This price factors in the fact that we paid for 2 pieces of luggage as well.

I believe we paid just under $250.00 each after the taxes and fees. Had I booked the day before they were $40 cheaper :( Still good price thought!

Thanks! I'm thinking of giving it a try for next year's trip!

That is a great price! We were looking at them for our trip, but they seemed to have figured out when we have spring break and price accordingly :sad1:.

We are driving from Winnipeg in a few weeks. I can let you know when we get back :)

Please do!

I am debating going for 3 weeks in August and driving would be fun! Well maybe not with a 7 and 4 year old:rotfl2:

Thought we could do Aug 10 - Sept 2nd. 5 days to drive there (aiming for 8 hrs a day)- is that a realistic estimate?

10 days at the park - 4 days exploring the gulf coast and then 5 days to drive back just in time to start school.

I have driven the Minnesota route and the Kansas City (i29) route as well. We usually leave Friday night after work and drive as far as Fargo then get up really early Saturday morning and drive. We are at Disney by Sunday afternoon after a hotel stop somewhere Saturday night. I prefer the route that takes you through Minnesota/Wisconsin only because the route through the Dakotas is so boring. We drive from Brandon so it adds on a couple of hours.

Ooo. I'd like to know how one of the posters drive went. I have thought if it but you would need a long vacation to do it.

Hi I am from Winnipeg and I have thought about using Allegiant from GF. Is it still cheaper even though you have to pay to park your vehicle? Did you take a bus to GF?

Hi I am from Winnipeg and I have thought about using Allegiant from GF. Is it still cheaper even though you have to pay to park your vehicle? Did you take a bus to GF?

I've gone to Vegas with Allegiant through GF and it was fabulous. Parking is very reasonable. In our case it was well worth the savings. Check the GF Airport website.

Hi all! been to Disney World many times always flew,has anyone driven from Winnipeg,if so what were the pros and cons thanks.:wizard:

We did the drive from MB March 2011. We anded up driving as far as Grand Forks the first night, til they closed the Highway on us, so we ended up storm stayed til the next afternoon. Wanted to make up time so I drove straight thru from there til we hit Orlando (wouldnt recommend this unless you have multiple drivers tho. I finally gave up the wheel in Nashvile and let my Mom take over for the rest of the way LOL). We really enjoyed the trip though. The savings were astronomical, even with fuel and hotel factored in. We planned on a full 3 day trip down, spent 5 days in Orlando, then 4 day Cruise, before we headed out on our 3 day drive back home.

Weather was a big factor for us, but other than that, depending on the time of year you plan to travel, no cons that I can think of :)

I know gas prices change all the time but can you mention what type if vehicle you drive and how much gas cost? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter