Driving from Toronto to Disney World????

clickTHEMOUSE

Earning My Ears
Hi Folks! We are driving to Disney World this summer. We've never driven. I'm thinking it will take about 24 hours. I understand the book Along I-75 is good. Any advice for me? Thanks! Sandra

Although we have driven a few times, we go a different route (since we live near Trenton, we cross the border near Syracuse). My advice is to check out the driving threads on the Transportation forum. There is one for drivers only driving 2,000 miles return (you qualify) that we found particularly helpful.

Do you belong to CAA? Getting maps and/or TripTiks for the trip is helpful as a backup for your GPS. They're also great for checking out hotels for your overight stops.

Thanks Minnie! I so want to try a ROAD TRIP to Florida for the journey. But it's so tempting to just fly!

There was a link in the transportation forum to an online trip calculator that compared the pricing (driving vs. flying). My wife was looking at it a couple of months ago. The price difference between driving and flying (from Buffalo) just didn't justify the time to drive (for us the difference from Toronto was estimated around $300 (mind you that is airfare for four).

We are 2 hours north of Toronto. We drive down every winter. With kids to St.Augustine, our first shopping stop, takes us 23 hours, nobody can co-ordinate bathroom stops.:confused3 . Without kids, 21 hours. We have done both routes to Florida. Our favorite, and the one we are taking in two weeks, is the I95 route.
If you are going in the summer, I would take the I95 route. It is very scenic, especially in the summer months. You would have no weather related problems.
We go 400-407-QEW and cross at Fort Erie then 90-79-19-77-95-4. We drive straight through.

We are 2 hours north of Toronto. We drive down every winter. With kids to St.Augustine, our first shopping stop, takes us 23 hours, nobody can co-ordinate bathroom stops.:confused3 . Without kids, 21 hours. We have done both routes to Florida. Our favorite, and the one we are taking in two weeks, is the I95 route.
If you are going in the summer, I would take the I95 route. It is very scenic, especially in the summer months. You would have no weather related problems.
We go 400-407-QEW and cross at Fort Erie then 90-79-19-77-95-4. We drive straight through.

YES PLEASE ! only take this route in the summer. We got in a major car accident in Pennsylvania in October after hitting black ice in the mountains. Now I will only fly and drive in the summer...never again in fall/spring or winter. Good luck ! ;)

YES PLEASE ! only take this route in the summer. We got in a major car accident in Pennsylvania in October after hitting black ice in the mountains. Now I will only fly and drive in the summer...never again in fall/spring or winter. Good luck ! ;)

I hope no one was hurt. I watch the weather for a week before we leave. Then adjust our schedule to the weather reports. We have run into heavy fog last year, and the year before, we were just ahead of an ice storm.

We are going to be driving down this October from Sarnia with a couple friends. Should take about 20 hours so we are going to stop for the night halfway down. I think it is just straight down the I-75.

We have no kids so I will be bringing my laptop for movies. :)

Thanks Minnie! I so want to try a ROAD TRIP to Florida for the journey. But it's so tempting to just fly!

Hardly worth flying if you can get a cheap fare during low season in summer. I would check Allegiant and DirectAir from Niagara Falls as well. I do see some return flights for $145 inc taxes in July and up til mid August with Allegiant.

We drive to Florida every December and are on the I95 most of the time. Now mind you we are in Nova Scotia and it takes us 36 hours. Oh how I wish it would only take 23 hours. We did the drive once in 2 days and drove the first day for 18 hours. It is a great drive. We love it. And we watch the weather as well and were lucky this past Dec when we didn't hit any snow at all!!! :cool1:

We are going to be driving down this October from Sarnia with a couple friends. Should take about 20 hours so we are going to stop for the night halfway down. I think it is just straight down the I-75.

We have no kids so I will be bringing my laptop for movies. :)

Straight down I-75 till you hit the Florida Turnpike/Ronald Reagan Turnpike. Follow that east till Orlando.:cool1: Good place to stop for the night is Atlanta GA.

We drive to Florida every December and are on the I95 most of the time. Now mind you we are in Nova Scotia and it takes us 36 hours. Oh how I wish it would only take 23 hours. We did the drive once in 2 days and drove the first day for 18 hours. It is a great drive. We love it. And we watch the weather as well and were lucky this past Dec when we didn't hit any snow at all!!! :cool1:

36 hours, wow...... but I agree, driving is the way to go. You see some amazing, funny and unbelieveable things on the drive. Every year, either going or returning, we have some story that we chuckle about over for the next year. Two years ago, in a plaza parking lot in Clarksburgh WV, we went into a store to stretch our legs, came out and a guy had a monkey, dressed in a little suit and tie, walking with him on a leash. My kids love that one. They fed the monkey cheesies.

I'm in Oakville...we've done the drive several times. From Toronto the shortest route is the I95. If you take the I75 you will add an extra 3 hours onto your drive.

It's about 21 driving hours....then add in stops. We usually do it in 23-24 driving hours....we only stop for gas/potty breaks and to eat. We pack all our food so when we stop to eat it's only about 15 minutes.

We like to leave home at 2-3am and drive until around 9pm. It allows us to sleep in a little and still make it to WDW for lunch. There have been a few times that due to major traffic that didn't work out.

36 hours, wow...... but I agree, driving is the way to go. You see some amazing, funny and unbelieveable things on the drive. Every year, either going or returning, we have some story that we chuckle about over for the next year. Two years ago, in a plaza parking lot in Clarksburgh WV, we went into a store to stretch our legs, came out and a guy had a monkey, dressed in a little suit and tie, walking with him on a leash. My kids love that one. They fed the monkey cheesies.

We flew the first year and it cost us $2500. Driving we spend no more than $1000.

Last Dec coming home we were getting gas...for some reason I want to say Georgia and a lady was there asking everyone for extra money to get home. That her and her husband who was sitting in their car needed money for gas/food. We gave them about $5 but it was nice to see everyone helping them out. Some people came over before she could even ask them.

I would have loved to see the monkey. My daughter would have loved to feed him. YOu do see all kinds of crazy drivers/people when driving down. Some need to redo their license test again. They pass on the shoulder of the road and everything.

YOu do see all kinds of crazy drivers/people when driving down.

A handfull of years ago, probably 10 or 11, we were heading to Ocala Fl for kart racing and we pulled into a travel center early in the morning, not sure exactly where, about 730am. I took the boys into the boys washroom, my wife took our daughter. We were going to meet in front of the washrooms and then go grab something to eat, then gas up and hit the road again. Well us boys were waiting for the "girls" to finish up in the washroom when this guy came strutting past us, walking real fast like he had a mission, into the mens rest room. In his hand was a handgun. Well, I grabbed the boys, and the girls, when they came out, and we high tailed it outa that place faster then you can say SHOOTING SPREE!!! We never heard anything on the radio, and always wondered if anything happened.
If you fly or if you drive, doesnt matter, you have to have your whits about you. Learned that real quick.

Hi Folks! We are driving to Disney World this summer. We've never driven. I'm thinking it will take about 24 hours. I understand the book Along I-75 is good. Any advice for me? Thanks! Sandra
If you take the I75 route, I highly recommend the Along I75 book. It contains so much information and it is nice to see what is coming up as you are planning to stop. We go at March break and watch the weather for the week before we leave but usually end up taking I75 because it is better maintained during the winter months. But we've taken I95 several times during summer vacations to PA and points south. It is nice in summer.

We flew the first year and it cost us $2500. Driving we spend no more than $1000.

Last Dec coming home we were getting gas...for some reason I want to say Georgia and a lady was there asking everyone for extra money to get home. That her and her husband who was sitting in their car needed money for gas/food. We gave them about $5 but it was nice to see everyone helping them out. Some people came over before she could even ask them.

I would have loved to see the monkey. My daughter would have loved to feed him. YOu do see all kinds of crazy drivers/people when driving down. Some need to redo their license test again. They pass on the shoulder of the road and everything.

Driving costs us about $750 compared to about $1800 for flights. And that is driving a big, gas guzzling truck. But since we go at March break, we wouldn't go without having 4WD available if we need it.

I agree, you do see some crazy things while driving. But it is entertainment and is part of the fun of the trip!

YOu do see all kinds of crazy drivers/people when driving down. QUOTE]

A handfull of years ago, probably 10 or 11, we were heading to Ocala Fl for kart racing and we pulled into a travel center early in the morning, not sure exactly where, about 730am. I took the boys into the boys washroom, my wife took our daughter. We were going to meet in front of the washrooms and then go grab something to eat, then gas up and hit the road again. Well us boys were waiting for the "girls" to finish up in the washroom when this guy came strutting past us, walking real fast like he had a mission, into the mens rest room. In his hand was a handgun. Well, I grabbed the boys, and the girls, when they came out, and we high tailed it outa that place faster then you can say SHOOTING SPREE!!! We never heard anything on the radio, and always wondered if anything happened.
If you fly or if you drive, doesnt matter, you have to have your whits about you. Learned that real quick.

I agree. No matter where you go whether States or within Canada you always have to be careful. I would have been terrified to see someone with a gun.

We stopped once (not a regular stop) and it was an old gas station with young guys in an black SUV. It was dark and only 1 washroom. We had to wait until one of the guys came out then my DH went, then my daughter and then I went. But when my daughter and I can't go in together we always make sure that someone is with her. The guys were very friendly but were dressed like "punks". I know I shouldn't sterotype but late at night and I watch enough horror movies lol

Driving costs us about $750 compared to about $1800 for flights. And that is driving a big, gas guzzling truck. But since we go at March break, we wouldn't go without having 4WD available if we need it.

I would never want to fly again. Everyone at work thinks were crazy but we were able to stop along the way and see other places. There is always an advantage/disadvantage to both flying/driving. It is all what you and your family prefer.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

We drove down Sunday (feb 12) from Kingston. We always travel I81 through Watertown and Syracuse. Despite watching the weather channel, New York State had snow squalls and the first leg of our trip took us 10 hours instead of 8! We saw a few accidents, but nothing major! Our first night was spent in Winchester VA and Monday we drove the bypass around Washington. Traffic was surprisingly light and I 95 was great. We stopped at the Magnolia Outlet Mall near Smithsfield NC and then stopped in Florence SC for the night. We had light rain Tuesday, but it cleared up around Jacksonville Fl. The last 3 nights we have spent in Daytona Beach and are driving over to Windsor Hills on Saturday. Really looking forward to heading over to Kissimmee. :worship: Daytona had these small biting insects and Love Bugs, so pool time has been limited. :eek: The one tip we discovered this year, was to purchase cold meat, cheese and sub rolls as soon as we crossed the border! We ate picnic lunches at the rest stops (except for PA where we ate in the car) and avoided the fastfood restaurants. We much preferred our light lunches on the road, and didn't experience that afternoon sleepiness due to sugar and high carbs. Flying doesn't really enter the picture when you are down for an extended period. Rental car prices are crazy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter