Driving from San Francisco to Anaheim

ski_mom

DIS Veteran
We're flying into San Francisco to Anaheim and are planning on driving on the route that goes down the coast. we are planning on stopping about half for in order to split the drive into 2 days.

Any advice on this would be great! One thing we'd like to see if possibly are some of the great redwoods. It's kind of my understanding that the biggest of them are farther north than San Francisco, so I know we won't see those, but are there any good spots to stop and see some on the drive down?

Thanks!

I would recommend that you take a look at the Skyline Boulevard, CA State Road 35 as a drive out of San Francisco. I would recommend you drive it from the 92 to the 9. There are parts of it where you're driving through (small) redwoods. It is a pretty drive; and windy in parts.
From the 9, head towards Big Basin Redwood State Park. When you get to the Ranger station at Big Basin, there is a very easy walk that will take you through some redwoods. Some of them are a decent size. From here, you can continue along there to the Cabrillo/Highway 1.

The other state park I've been to for Redwoods is Henry Cowell State Park. This one is closer towards Santa Cruz. But I saw it from the steam train from Felton; so I can't say which is better.

If you are driving along the PCH, I like stopping at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and looking at McWay Falls. You walk to a vantage point to see the falls. It drops into the beach. I don't believe you can get to walk down to the beach.

Enjoy the drive.

Not to direct you away from DISboards, but trip advisor has three or four top questions in the California forum all about the drive down highway 1; what to see, where to stop, etc including redwoods. Although I think I'd take the time from SF to go to the Muir Redwoods.

I would recommend stopping for a night in San Luis Obispo. Quiet, pretty beach town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter