Driving from San Fran to Disney-good place to stay over?

We always drive straight thru from San Jose, but my in-laws from Benicia always stop in Buttonwillow for the night. The problem with their plan is that they are stuck in LA commuter traffic in the morning, and it takes them forever to get to the park. We usually leave between 6 and 8 in the morning, and we're at the park in time for lunch. If we're driving in the afternoon, we leave after 3, so we are sure to miss the really bad traffic thru LA.
But like others have said, if you must stop, I'd also suggest going down the coast and staying in SLO or Pismo or Solvang.
Have fun planning, and let us know what you decide.

My trips almost always involve a stop at Pea Soup Anderson or Harris Ranch. If we're in a hurry (as we usually are going down) we grab a cup of pea soup to go (either in Santa Nella when we go I5, or in Buellton near Solvang when we go 101).

My kids(6, 8, 10) would have a fit if we tried to stop halfway to Disney! We drive from Sacramento, so its about the same distance. We usually only stop once for gas, potty break, and grab food to go. But we've been making the drive to San Diego a few times a year since they were babies to visit family, so the drive to DL is actually short! Last time we left on a Friday afternoon after school at 3:15 was out and pulled into the Hojo parking lot just as the fireworks started. It was a GREAT "Welcome to Disneyland"!!

If you are gonna stop... I'd stop in Bakersfield on I-5 or if I was taking the more scenic route I'd stop in San Luis Obispo on Hwy 101.. Also, to find a hotel/motel I'd use tripadivsor for reviews. Usually, you can get a good idea on the places...

We drive to DL from Sacramento and it usually only takes us 6 hours. It is the same distance from the Bay Area. We usually leave early in the morning like 4 or 5 am but not earlier as we don't want to distrupt our sleep habits. Or we leave after school around 3:30 pm or after work around 6:30 pm. If we leave after school at 3:30 pm we tend to hit the most traffic in Los Angeles. So, timing is everything when driving into Los Angeles. Just make sure you aren't hitting the traffic areas.

The other thing we got this tip from the bell hop is to take Hwy 57 to Hwy 210 to avoid the LA I-5 traffic. There was nobody on these highways. I was amazed. So, going down you'd just take Hwy 210 to hwy 57. It looks like it is a long way out of town but it isn't.

We're doing the drive from SF to LA (staying in Hollywood before Anaheim to do Universal and the other touristy stuff :)) and will probably be driving down Highway 1, it looks spectacular from the pictures i've seen and everyone I know who has done it says it's a must do experience! I'm a little nervous about the curves but i'll just take my time and hopefully enjoy it. There's always the 101 option if I chicken out! *lol* We're staying the night in San Luis Obispo (Vagabond Inn, we just wanted something cheap but clean and safe and the reviews seem fine) on the way down, and stopping in Solvang for an hour or so the next day.

So....I'm from San Jose. My dad lives in Santa Cruz. I know, my dad knows, everyone one of my friends knows...that the drive is a short one.

So I need SOMEONE to explain to me why the drive from Aptos to Anaheim took over 12 hours!!!!

And the drive up got so dark so early, and we were so tired, that we had to stop for the night. :confused3

I don't know a good place to stop, but a BAD place to stop is the Travelodge in Coalinga. Actually the hotel, for a Travelodge, isn't bad at all. But the smell in the morning as the wind blows the feedlot stench and the feedlot FLIES, in your direction, is ghastly. HUGE flies covering the car. BLEAH.

On our way down we did go down 101, but everyone, including my dad who drove for Greyhound when it was Union and good, told us it was six of one, half dozen of the other.

Therefore, if you're going down 101, stop at Andersen's split pea soup restaurant, and stay at the hotel there (I think it's a Best Western?). :) They do have more than just split pea soup. :goodvibes

Bumbershoot..I am from San Jose too! Loved Santa Cruz when I was a kid.
Now..I love the Goleta/Santa Barbara area for a nice stop. It took us forever once in a heavy rain storm to go from LA to SJ..so...sometimes it isn't so short a driving time.

We're doing the drive from SF to LA (staying in Hollywood before Anaheim to do Universal and the other touristy stuff :)) and will probably be driving down Highway 1, it looks spectacular from the pictures i've seen and everyone I know who has done it says it's a must do experience! I'm a little nervous about the curves but i'll just take my time and hopefully enjoy it. There's always the 101 option if I chicken out! *lol* We're staying the night in San Luis Obispo (Vagabond Inn, we just wanted something cheap but clean and safe and the reviews seem fine) on the way down, and stopping in Solvang for an hour or so the next day.

Highway 1 is a beautiful road to travel. A real must see. The pacific coastline is a sight to behold no matter whether it is the north coast or the south coast. The ocean is much friendlier for swimming on the southern part of the coast, but being a northern resident I love our part of the coastline for it's stark beauty. We camp on the north coast, enjoy the fog and the mist and the tide pools and such.:offtopic: Sorry. While you are in the Hollywood area be sure and go to Beverly Hills and see Rodeo Drive. I have lived here for my whole life and 2006 was the first time I ever went into Beverly Hills. I was a true tourist, and there was a Jimmy Choo shoe show while we were down there and they actually closed it off and set up tents and everything it was a cool sight. Also if you are a fitness person another must do is an exercise class with Richard Simmons. We do one everytime we are down there and September and our second honeymoon will be no exception.:goodvibes Most of all enjoy California!:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone! With all of your input, I think I've convinced him to drive through with a food break at Harris or the Pea Soup place.

Also if you are a fitness person another must do is an exercise class with Richard Simmons. We do one everytime we are down there and September and our second honeymoon will be no exception.:goodvibes

How cool would that be? My mom and I belonged to the Anatomy Asylum in San Jose in the mid 80s. It was so great to go to a place that wasn't just for already-in-shape people (though at the time I was and so was she). My mom even met him at the opening. :goodvibes

How much is a class? Is it actually taught by RS? Do you have to sign up in advance?

Hey, my dad drove for Greyhound too! He was out of Medford, Oregon. Who is your dad? Maybe they knew each other.

He is David B. He was out of San Francisco then Santa Cruz since the 60s. Took permanent disability in, hmm, the 80s at some point, and is now receiving his pension from them. :goodvibes My dad's a trip, if your dad knew him he'd remember him. He's always ready with a story, he was a short-haired (thanks to Greyhound) hippie, LOL, and he knew so many people back then! We used to ride the bus on our weekends with him...my brother and I learned very polite and relaxed bus etiquette in those days, and to this day if I have a choice I'll wait for a plane to empty before I even make a move to get off, from my "training" in those days. (much more relaxing to just hang out in your seat and wait, instead of standing and waiting for people to go)

I won't get on the bus anymore, it's just not the same. My dad had the ability to kick off drunks in the middle of nowhere, he could and would stop fights and harassment. People were safe on the bus back then, he took no trouble from anyone, and it just doesn't feel the same anymore. I'm not normally a hip-hip-hurrah-for-unions person, but when the union left Greyhound it made things bad. (my dad met my stepmom there, she worked at the ticket and dispatch counter in Santa Cruz)

How cool would that be? My mom and I belonged to the Anatomy Asylum in San Jose in the mid 80s. It was so great to go to a place that wasn't just for already-in-shape people (though at the time I was and so was she). My mom even met him at the opening. :goodvibes

How much is a class? Is it actually taught by RS? Do you have to sign up in advance?

Yes he teaches. He definitely teaches a class on Thursday nights, and two classes on Saturdays. One is a Project Me class, more of a motivational class. On Sundays though from noon to three he records his Sirius Radio show which is open to audiences and it is a kleenex experience. The classes cost $12 a person or they did in March of 2007. You don't need reservations to do the classes. his website is www.richardsimmons.com and there is always a calendar of what dates Richard will be teaching. All of his teachers are wonderful though. Dh and I went to an exercise retreat at Slimmons in October 2006 and it was one of the most fun weekends we have ever spent. Richard even had dance instructors come in and teach all of us ballroom dancing. Here is a picture of him with our kids and my niece in '07.
fw64g2.jpg

Hi - My two boys and I have driven from San Francisco to Disneyland and have done the trip in one day. This time, my husband is going with us and he wants to "take our time" and not try to rush through. He'd like to find a place to stay over.

Can anyone who makes the I5 trip down recomend a good place to stay over? The only place I know with a lot of hotels would be the Santa Clarita area but if you're that far, you might as well keep going!

Thanks!
KC

I just did this drive (starting from Santa Clara) the end of June. I left home at 7:30pm and drove to Buttonwillow. I stayed at the Red Roof Inn overnight and hit the road again by 9am. I got into Anaheim by about 11ish. I suggest doing this. I wrote a Trip advisor and Yahoo review about it.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-6...d_reviews-i;_ylt=AuiIuC390_sc1Wbe_9BQm3fiphQB

http://www.redroof.com/

Worked for me.

He is David B. He was out of San Francisco then Santa Cruz since the 60s. Took permanent disability in, hmm, the 80s at some point, and is now receiving his pension from them. :goodvibes My dad's a trip, if your dad knew him he'd remember him. He's always ready with a story, he was a short-haired (thanks to Greyhound) hippie, LOL, and he knew so many people back then! We used to ride the bus on our weekends with him...my brother and I learned very polite and relaxed bus etiquette in those days, and to this day if I have a choice I'll wait for a plane to empty before I even make a move to get off, from my "training" in those days. (much more relaxing to just hang out in your seat and wait, instead of standing and waiting for people to go)

I won't get on the bus anymore, it's just not the same. My dad had the ability to kick off drunks in the middle of nowhere, he could and would stop fights and harassment. People were safe on the bus back then, he took no trouble from anyone, and it just doesn't feel the same anymore. I'm not normally a hip-hip-hurrah-for-unions person, but when the union left Greyhound it made things bad. (my dad met my stepmom there, she worked at the ticket and dispatch counter in Santa Cruz)

My dad is A.R. Mills III and worked out of Medford, OR and briefly out of Portland, OR. He retired in the later 80's. I agree that when the union went out, it went downhill. Did you ever stand in picket lines? I remember a couple of times when they went on strike and we were out holding picket signs and yelling at the scab drivers. Dad used to bring the bus home and take us kids out for a ride (when he did charters). It used to be an adventure to ride. Now it is just kind of dirty and unpleasant. The memories live forever though.

We come from 100 miles north of SF and it takes us about 9 hours to get there. A "work day" is the way I like to put it. We generally leave by 4:30am and arrive in Anahaim by 3ish, depending on how many stops and how long we take at Stops. This works out well because we miss the Bay Area commute traffic and the LA commute traffic.

We have our "scheduled" stop at a Starbucks in Pleasonton and then the TA at the Grapevine and usually one other stop in between. We have only had to stop once after the Grapevine (sorry when you gotta go you gotta go).

Now to answer the question, one day we stoped at a Best Western in Coalinga, I woudn't recommend it. And we only stopped here on the way home because we didn't leave Anaehim until 3pm and I was exhausted, it was getting dark and for safety sake we stoped.

We to take 5 all the way there. We live about 20 minutes north-eastish of SF, I think its north-east. (we live in Pinole).
Anyways, another suggestion for driving all the way through, is leave early, at a time to where lunch would be about Hollywood, and eat lunch and get ice cream at Disneys Soda Fountain, next door to the El Capitan theatre, as another poster suggested. That way, you can start getting your Disney fix early!!
I need to find out how I can get inside the studio too, I want a tour!!

We to take 5 all the way there. We live about 20 minutes north-eastish of SF, I think its north-east. (we live in Pinole).
Anyways, another suggestion for driving all the way through, is leave early, at a time to where lunch would be about Hollywood, and eat lunch and get ice cream at Disneys Soda Fountain, next door to the El Capitan theatre, as another poster suggested. That way, you can start getting your Disney fix early!!
I need to find out how I can get inside the studio too, I want a tour!!

Adventures by Disney...Backstage Magic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter