Driving from PA to orlando

Rland8228

DIS Veteran
I saw a post on here a couple of days ago about someone driving from NY to Orlando and asking about places to stop, I cant seem to find it and wanted to know if anyone and any suggestions on places to stop. We are not scheduled to check in to Disney until the 28th but was thinking of doing a room only reservation on the 26 and 27th and possibly doing Disney quest. Or we could just take our time going down and stop somewhere. Any Advice?

I can say that unless you like "tourist trap" type places you can stop at South of the Border, but it is a lot of cheap souviners and it is a tourist trap. I am looking at driving from PA this fall, and I think if we can we are going to try to stay the night in Savannah, GA. I am also wanting to stop in Daytona for some things that I like to go to there and of course the St. Augustine Outlets...LOL!!

I can say that unless you like "tourist trap" type places you can stop at South of the Border, but it is a lot of cheap souviners and it is a tourist trap. I am looking at driving from PA this fall, and I think if we can we are going to try to stay the night in Savannah, GA. I am also wanting to stop in Daytona for some things that I like to go to there and of course the St. Augustine Outlets...LOL!!

Sadly, now that I 79 is complete, coming from western PA we no longer pass through South of the Boarder. :sad1:

We are planning on stopping around the Mooresville/Lake Norman area just outside of Charlotte, NC for our trip next month. Instead of using I-95 for most of the trip, we like to use I-81 to I-77 to I-26 which brings us to 95 in South Carolina. ALOT less traffic and prettier scenery. :thumbsup2

We've also driven it staright through in the past a numer of times too! Enjoy your trip whereever you decide to stop! :yay:

I am driving in Feb, three of my kids and I will be taking the trip without my dh and youngest two. We plan to drive all the way down to Daytona the first day, stay the night there and then over to disney the next day.

We will be driving down from NY in just over a week. Our typical overnight stop is in Manning, South Carolina, at the Hampton Inn at 2822 Paxville Highway. I've found it to be a very nice hotel, with clean rooms, and a decent rate for AAA members. Free breakfast is a nice little bonus :thumbsup2

It is about a six hour drive from there to Disney the next morning.

We are planning on stopping around the Mooresville/Lake Norman area just outside of Charlotte, NC for our trip next month. Instead of using I-95 for most of the trip, we like to use I-81 to I-77 to I-26 which brings us to 95 in South Carolina. ALOT less traffic and prettier scenery. :thumbsup2

We've also driven it staright through in the past a numer of times too! Enjoy your trip whereever you decide to stop! :yay:

That is a nice trip down that way also!!! I am on the fence on which way I want to drive down this fall. I can go down through Charlotte (which I love that city) but I am also fond of going down I-95 (and not going through DC) because it is just going through my memories as a child.

We usually stay in Walterboro, SC, on I-95 just south of I-26. We get there about dinner-time, and the next day is only a 5 hour drive (get to WDW around 1-2 pm). I have stayed at the hotels west of I-95, just across the street from Cracker Barrel for a nice meal.

WalterboroSC-2.jpg

We usually stay in Walterboro, SC, on I-95 just south of I-26. We get there about dinner-time, and the next day is only a 5 hour drive (get to WDW around 1-2 pm). I have stayed at the hotels west of I-95, just across the street from Cracker Barrel for a nice meal.

I was actually looking at that exit to stop at when we go down. I should know this week if this trip is going to happen.

We drive from Limerick, PA and split it up between two days. We usually stop in Savannah/Pooler, GA overnight. Then head to WDW the next day.

I can tell you that you should stop. We had to stop in VA this past trip cause something was wrong with the car and after sitting there for hours we finally left at 7pm :eek: no way to make it to GA for our reservation. We canceled it and decided to drive through. My dad and fiance took turns driving. Dad until Sc then fiance until GA then dad until FL and fiance until POP. It was horrible. We couldn't really fall asleep in the car and I had to sit up front with my fiance to talk to him and make sure he stays awake. We could feel the effects of driving straight through even a couple days into our vacation. We never really got to catch up on our sleep.

OMG South of the Border :lmao: Never stop there but the signs are a nice count down to how many miles to go in that state hahaha

We drive from Pa to FL a lot since my inlaws live in florida and I don't fly. We always stop in either Florence SC (its the halfway point for us) or if we are feeling brave and want to keep driving a while longer we will stop in Savannah GA (about the 12 hour point)

OH man, I've no advice but wow. We live 2 hours from Disney now and we fall asleep driving lol. We are just not car people.

I think we are just doing to drive straight through we do every year and my husband works night so he is kinda use to it. Cant Wait only 10 more days!!!!

We drive from the Lansdale area to Santee, SC for the first night and the next day we stop in ST.Augustine before heading to the Orlando area...

Great people, great information on the 2,000 mile thread.

:thumbsup2Great advice. Just click on the underlined words (2,000 mile thread) in the quote above and it will take you right to it. Learned a lot from this thread for our drive down to our DCL cruise in May. It was Memorial Day weekend and shore traffic on 95 would have been a mess. Took the inland route that they suggested and had an easy drive. Also, someone from I believe Illinois mentioned going to Gold N Gem Grubbin in Georgia on their way home one time and how much they enjoyed it, so we stopped there on our way home after the cruise and had a fun 2 days at the mine. Wouldn't have known about it but for that thread.:thumbsup2

Sadly, now that I 79 is complete, coming from western PA we no longer pass through South of the Boarder. :sad1:

How long of a drive is it for you from Pittsburgh? We have always taken Southwest or Airtran. I did drive with my family when I was a teenager and I swore I would never drive again. I think I recall we drove straight home and it took around 16 hours? Does that sound about right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter