Driving from PA, share your fav stop pleez!

We are driving down too, but from MD (about 30mins from DC). We mapquested it and it said about 14hr drive. We are doing it straight through the night since we know DD will sleep and be happier that way and DH and I can trade off sleep and drive on the way down. A good link I found was http://www.icity.net/cityguide/index.html
it's got everything from this area down to FL on 95. We are going down the Sunday right after Thanksgiving and figured we should arrive in orlando about 10 or 11am. That's including gas, potty stops, change drives, breakfast and a little run around time for DD. She'll be 1.5 by then and not big on being stuck in a car long when awake!

Good luck and enjoy your drive. I would say Williamsburg is a great place to stop if you are looking for an overnight on the way!

We're driving down tomorrow from South Jersey (right across the bridge from PhillY). We're stopping in Brunswick Ga, which is exit 36 off of I-95 in GA. We stop just to rest our heads, we really don't plan to see any other sites or take in another city. Brunswick has some really nice hotels and it's only 3.5 hours from Orlando. We're up early the next day at at WDW by 11:00 am. Prices are nice also.

We drive down and usually go to Savannah, Ga, but are changing it up and staying at the Embassy Suites in Brunswick, GA (around 30-50 min. south of Savannah). DC traffic can be bad at any time. It's really hit and miss. I'm originally from Tamaqua, PA (near Hazleton) right off I-81 and to avoid the "Mixing Bowl" in Springfield, VA..I used to take I-81 to Harrisburg then get Route 15 and take that all the way through Frederick, MD, Leesburg, VA, Gainesville/Warrenton, Va. Then I'd get Route 17 in Warrenton and take it to Fredericksburg I-95. Once you get past Fredericksburg there's not much more traffic.

Fredericksburg is a cute historic town with ties to George Washington and a lot of Civil War Battlefields as well. ANd it's not really off the beaten path. I-95 to downtown is 5 miles. When we drive we just really sleep in the hotel and don't look around. We've stayed in Rocky Mount before and that wasn't too bad.

eliza61-

Please let me know how long it took you to get to Brunswick when you return from your trip. My family (dh and twin sons 22 mons.) and I will be making the drive in November and I'm looking for a place to do an overnight. We live in Altantic County NJ so our drive should be similar to yours.

We plan on leaving around 3 or 4 in the morning on Saturday, taking 95 S. I figured we'd be past DC by 8. I thought since it was a weekend we'd avoid congestion. Can anyone tell me if that's a mistake?

Have to admit I love those south of the boarder signs....we stop there every year...Annual drive from Gainesville FL to PA....(14hrs if we don’t stop)...the place has gotten shady over the last ten years...but always good for a dollar key chain, bumper stickers and a laugh....

Hi PBHarris4 & HelenePA...

I am from Lehighton!

TO ALL THE I95 DRIVER... A HIGHLY COMMON PLACE FOR THE POLICE TO BE LOOKING FOR SPEEDERS... LAST 10 EXITS OR SO OF VA JUST BEFORE NC... ALSO SC IN RANDOM AREAS...

GIOny said:
What about Charleston, S.C.? I have never spent the night there but we did drive through there back in early May and it looked very charming :rose: . I'm not sure of the route you take but Williamsburg, Va. is also very nice and you could spend the day in the historic town :flower1: . Let us know what you decide. :butterfly

You know I had not thought of Charleston assumed it would be too far off the track but it really isn't that far it seems! I looked into some tourism info and I love everything I se! Chuck 65 also gave some tips for Charleston too!
It looks like a winner from here! :thumbsup2

100 acre wood said:
Four words for ya, from a fellow Yank......"SOUTH OF THE BORDER"....Just kidding..... I guess some people enjoy it, but we never did......We usually try to make it to at least Rocky Mount along 95.....Williamsburg is very nice, but that is almost a trip unto itself and for us, it's too far off of the beaten path of 95 and would add too much time to our already 18 hour drive.....Maybe just try for a nicer hotel(make ressies before you go or you will get stuck in a dive motel, you know the kind that had a chalk outline of a body and an unpleasant odor you just can't place) with an indoor pool and a nice resturaunt nearby...goodluck and safe driving!
Thank you all for your great tips!

100 Acre, I stopped at the chalk outline hotel in Virgina and on their webstie they failed to show the bellboy aka drug delaer with the cop at the beack enterance very scary thats why I am asking you goys!!! Pedro is very frightening ahhhhh!

Helene, it takes us longer than the trip tix shows, usually 19 hours we have been taking 81 to 64 but will try taking 15 see if that adds some time!

Bad Black Pug! I wnat to be there now thats my whole problem! heheh! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter