Driving from Ontario to WDW in March 2016

5Dreamers

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could share their experience(s) on driving to WDW from the Toronto Area in March.
I've heard that I75 is better for winter driving because it is less hilly/mountainous than the I90-I79-US19-I77-I26-I95-I4 route.
I've heard that crossing the border at Detroit isn't recommended because the I75 is in poor conditions through Michigan. Would we then go QEW-I90-I71-I75 ?
I'm confused :worried:
I have not driven before and we decided to give it a try to save $ since flights back at March break are more than we want to spend, even from Buffalo. It's a long drive and we are going to try to switch drivers every 2-4 hours and drive straight through.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

We did it this past March for the first time. We took the I75 from TO , Detroit. No issues, we drove straight and took total of just under25hrs. That is with stops with a 4 and 8 yr olds. We left about 7pm at night just after the wife got home and a quick dinner. She drove to Detroit, crossed the boarder, then I took over till about 5am. We switched up again around lunch and then I finished. As long as you have 2 drivers and kids that are good, its not that bad. The wife even said she would do it every time now.
Good luck.

We did it this past March for the first time. We took the I75 from TO , Detroit. No issues, we drove straight and took total of just under25hrs. That is with stops with a 4 and 8 yr olds. We left about 7pm at night just after the wife got home and a quick dinner. She drove to Detroit, crossed the boarder, then I took over till about 5am. We switched up again around lunch and then I finished. As long as you have 2 drivers and kids that are good, its not that bad. The wife even said she would do it every time now.
Good luck.

Thank-you for your reply!
I was laughing and looked at DH and jokingly asked him if he posted this because we also plan on leaving at 7pm after I get home from work and have dinner, and I want to take the first shift driving.
If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know how often you stopped for gas, coffee, etc. and any details/recommendations about stopping for food.

We didn't really have any plans about firm stops. We stopped when we were hungry and topped up gas at the same time. With having a 4 and 8 we stopped at a couple of Mcds and BK that had play areas for them to run about for a bit. Laughed at my wife and said we must be on vacation because we never stop or eat fast food. We never had to stop just for gas since we have an Odyssey and the thing will go for longer then I can go before I have to pee.:headache: The last 6 hours were the worst because my little one had to stop and pee multiple times, but we made it. I must say both going and coming we stopped at the waffle house and were pleasantly happy with food and cost and will stop again there.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could share their experience(s) on driving to WDW from the Toronto Area in March.
I've heard that I75 is better for winter driving because it is less hilly/mountainous than the I90-I79-US19-I77-I26-I95-I4 route.
I've heard that crossing the border at Detroit isn't recommended because the I75 is in poor conditions through Michigan. Would we then go QEW-I90-I71-I75 ?
I'm confused :worried:
I have not driven before and we decided to give it a try to save $ since flights back at March break are more than we want to spend, even from Buffalo. It's a long drive and we are going to try to switch drivers every 2-4 hours and drive straight through.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I think the key here is that A) you want to drive straight through and B) you haven't driven it before. Based on those two factors alone I would suggest you go the I75 route through Detroit. It will take you 2 - 3 hours longer but there are so many more exits along the I75 route with gas stations, restaurants, hotels (if suddenly needed). Definitely purchase Along I75 by Dave Hunter. You should be able to pick it up at Chapters/Indigo. Don't wait until it is sold out due to all the Florida bound winter drivers.

DW and I always go down for March Break and we tend to drive one year and fly the next. We've always crossed at Buffalo and driven the I79/I77/I95 route but I know it like the back of my hand and I know exactly to a mile where I'll be stopping for gas, restaurants and hotels (we don't drive straight through). We also don't have kids with us. Of course, I'm always checking the weather prior to leaving. I have hotels booked along the I77 route that can be canceled last minute if we decide it's best to do the I75 route due to the weather. I also know where I plan to stop along the I75 route and can call via cell phone while we're driving.

A bad snow storm is a bad snow storm no matter which route you take and a storm while unlikely is alway possible. But…as I mentioned earlier…you have far more options to pull off to on the I75 route in case you happen upon a storm.

If I were in your shoes I'd take the I75 route this time. That's my .02 cents…Actually….03 cents due to the exchange rate :)

We drive from windsor each year taking i75 right to the florida turnpike. We usually can make it just inside Georgia the first day, lots of good hotels along that route. We got caught in an ice storm once when we went in January and stayed in Tennessee for a full day buy it's pretty good in Feb and march.

If I were in your shoes I'd take the I75 route this time. That's my .02 cents…Actually….03 cents due to the exchange rate :)

I laughed when I read that, so true!

We will check the weather and factor that in last minute and I think I will get the I-75 book.
I have celiac and have to eat gluten-free, but I know I have options at Wendy's and Sonic fast food restaurants. We don't usually eat out, but that's part of the fun of vacations. I might plan a stop at a grocery store some time after we cross the border so I can get some fruit/veggies to supplement our fast foods.

Thanks for all the replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter