• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Oklahoma

spinfairy

Earning My Ears
We will be driving to WDW from central Oklahoma this summer and have gotten many different opinions on the best directions. Anyone here done this trip, and what are the pros and cons of the different ways? We want to get the bulk of our driving done the first day and plan to leave at 4-5am.

Any help would be appreciated!

We have done this drive 4 times now. We have a Garmin that plots the route for us.

The Garmin takes us down I-35 to I-20 to Shreveport. From there it has routed us both south through Louisiana to I-10 and across I-20 into Jackson and then down south through Mississippi to Mobile Alabama. I prefer the Mississippi route as it seems to be a bit shorter and has more of a scenic view. You get to see some Old homes, lots of trees with Spanish Moss and some logging areas. There are parts of this road that are smaller highways and you do go through some towns/stoplights.

The GPS has also routed us off the highway in Mobile down some residential streets with Old Plantation style homes. It was cool to look at, but slow going. We also missed the tunnel too when it did that, so we just stay on the highway to I-10 so we don't miss the tunnel under the bay. We like driving through the tunnel. It is one of the little amusements on an otherwise long boring drive.

We always just drive through, which with stops takes us 20 hours. We leave around 5 or 6pm and the kids sleep through the bulk of the drive. The first 12 hours are easy and the last 8 through Florida really drag. Driving through the Florida Panhandle is pretty tedious and boring.

The only problems we have had were back in 2008 when gas prices shot up to $4 and we were driving between two hurricanes that shut down Gulf Production and there was a run on gas. Several Gas stations right off the highway were completely out of gas. We had to drive several miles into Tallahassee to find a station that still had gas. It was crazy. Also if traveling during Football season be prepared to encounter Game Day Traffic between Tallahassee and Gainsville.

Overall we don't mind the drive. It is definitely easier going than coming back when you are worn out from the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter