Driving from Ohio?

breakingd_awn

DIS Veteran
We"ll be driving to Port Canaveral from Ohio at the end of Feb, we were wondering what the drive is like with the weather and all at that time of year. I would like to fly but my little one (15mo) is a SCREAMING DRAMA QUEEN :angel: I'm thinking it would be the flight from hell. :scared1: We thought we would give ourselves 2 days to get there 500 miles each day and stay overnight in hotel. Has anyone else made this trip?

I made the trip with my wife and sons (2yrs and 4yrs) from the Detroit suburbs. Weather could be an issue until you get thru KY, but it will likely not be a non issue. Just plan on stopping every 2-3 hours for potty/stretch breaks, and realize that you will lose at least 45 minutes each time you stop for a meal (longer for sit down meals). I figure it took about 30% longer for us to make the trip with kids than when we didn't. Having a dvd player in the car was also crucial for us. Lastly, we always get on the road real early, ususally about 2 a.m. The kids fall back asleep once in the car, and we have a 200-300 miles behind us once they wake up. This realy helps with restlessness later in the day. We are going again next year, and I think I'll try driving through the night.

What route will you be taking I 75 or I 77? With I 77 you will be going through the mountains in WV. That could get a little tricky that time of year. I prefer this route because the I75 route takes you through Atlanta and that is a pain. I have done this in February and March and have not had a problem but the weather was with me. The trip is easily doable in two days. We usually make it to around Hilton Head on day one and then make it an easy trip in on the second day. I have also driven home in one day. That was 16 hour drive and really wasn't that bad.

Hope that helps.

We also planned on bringing movies to watch on the way, leaving that early makes alot of sense they probably would go back to sleep. I have heard driving through Atlanta is a nightmare, and I wouldn't want to drive through WV in snow or ice:scared1:

We've driven from Kentucky to the Port a couple of times. We don't use I75, because of all the construction it has. We use I-95. We have had one close call, a wreck on the interstate had everything backed up, and we had to use backroads..before we had GPS!! Make sure to take into consideration things like that. I would plan to get there the day before and spend the night near the Port. Then you can relax a little. Hope you have a great time!!

We do plan on getting there the day before so we can go out to eat and relax after the long drive there.

We've driven to WDW from Ohio on numerous occasions since 1995 (when our kids were 6 & 8). We take the I-77 route because it is shorter from the eastern side of Ohio. Weather should not be a concern because the road crews are used to snow and have the means to keep the roads clear. I've driven several times in early December and have not had a problem.

My only suggestion is that, rather than doing 500 miles each day, go further the first day when you are fresh and then take it easy the second day. We always try to make it to Walterboro (South Carolina) the first day and, as our kids are older, even further south. We usually drive 12 hours the first day and 8 hours the second day. We leave at 5AM the first day, but sleep in until 9 or 10AM the second day. This has always worked well for us.

Good luck. Bon voyage.

We fly out of Columbus on Southwest and it is a direct flight to Orlando. Just thought that you might be interested in this.

We almost did this drive (from Wooster to the Port) in May and were saved by some free SW tickets (the flight the PP mentioned) that my brother gave us. I have to tell you....I was DREADING the drive.

Honestly, if you can swing the $$$ (and SW has good deals), do the flight from Columbus. It leaves pretty early in the morning and the back section was relatively empty. Take your DVD player on the flight and some "treats" that will keep her busy. It's early enough that she may just sleep, but if not....it is a short flight (compared to a LONG drive) for which you'll have to keep her occupied.

Can they kick us off the flight if we can't calm her down? I have looked into flying and for all 6 of us its only 600.00 and we'll be there in like 3 hrs. I'm not sure of what to do , I don't want to make everyone on the plane mad.

They won't kick you off (especially not in mid-air)....and it is a flight to Orlando (lots of kids...many first time flyers). Chances are that your child wouldn't be the only one fussing if she does scream.

P.S. I've known a few parents who have given their child a dose of Benadryl to treat those bug-bites at the most opportune time!

Can they kick us off the flight if we can't calm her down? I have looked into flying and for all 6 of us its only 600.00 and we'll be there in like 3 hrs. I'm not sure of what to do , I don't want to make everyone on the plane mad.

They won't kick you off (especially not in mid-air)....and it is a flight to Orlando (lots of kids...many first time flyers). Chances are that your child wouldn't be the only one fussing if she does scream.

P.S. I've known a few parents who have given their child a dose of Benadryl to treat those bug-bites at the most opportune time!

We are from Columbus and have driven to disney many times even in the winter. If the forecast is iffy we would opt for I-71 to I-75 south through Atlanta.

When our kids were small we asked the pediatrician about the flight and she recommended benadryl! so I have to second that and also would recommend a direct flight on Southwest.

If at all possible i would buy a seat for her - you could hold her, but if she is upset it could be hard to hold her and keep her from kicking the seat in front of you.

Bring new toys and games for her to unwrap and play with on the plane. Playdough is always fun (if she won't eat it) and could keep her occupied for a good while. Bring lots of finger foods and snacks to help keep her busy. Personally I would skip the DVD player, it is often hard to hear with the noise on the plane being so loud even with headphones and its one more thing to carry and keep track of. Another tip is to collect toys from kids meals before you go (I know Mcdonalds has toddler toys) and save them and give them to her one at a time to play with. My DD always loved the toys and can play with them for hours.

If you anticipate problems, have the rest of your party board the plane and secure seats and then board at the last possible minute. Make sure to have something for her to drink during take off and landing to help with her ears (they suggest chewing gum, but she is too young for that). Maybe book a later evening flight or a flight at nap time so that she would be tired and sleep. I would fly over driving (especially in winter).

Try not to worry too much - I can't imagine that she will scream the entire time and the won't stop the plane and make you get off ;)

Tammy

Thanks for all the great tips, I know I'll use every one of them. By the way do they serve tequila on board;):lmao:

Before moving to Ohio, we lived in Hilton Head for 7 years. We've made the trek from OH to SC too many times to count, may of those trips were during the winter months. I can think of only one time that we had really bad weather. The WV turnpike is a well maintained road. I'd think that you would really only have a problem if there was a major storm. Once you are south of Charlotte, life is good. From Hilton Head, the port is an easy 5-6 hour drive straight down 95 (depending on your stops).

If you decide to drive, you're welcome to PM me. I've got the "good stops" all mapped out from here to HHI.

Girlfriend, take it from me: FLY!

We live up by Toledo so we fly out of Detroit. But once we're on that plane we arrive in Orlando in 2 hours.

Since it is such a short flight you shouldn't have a problem keeping her occupied. Just pack a little backpack with activities she enjoys, snacks, and maybe even a special surprise toy she has never seen before.

Oh yeah...and that Benadryl works like a charm if all else fails! :laughing:

Flying does sound much better and 2hrs is pretty good, much better than 16 and worrying about speed and weather with 4 kids fighting in the back. Plus it's less clothes to pack.:)

Flying does sound much better and 2hrs is pretty good, much better than 16 and worrying about speed and weather with 4 kids fighting in the back. Plus it's less clothes to pack.:)

Plus if you factor in gas, hotel, and food stuffs you really don't save any money. I used to live in Port Clinton and would drive to Florida all the time. But, with all of the cheap airlines out there it is actually less money to fly. Heck, one time it was actually cheaper to fly down, rent a car for 10 days than it was to drive down in my gas guzzling car without stopping at a hotel for the night.

I agree especially with our family of 6 we always have to get 2 rooms or a suite. Just that is at least 160.00. :eek: Our little one still has 5 more months of maturing , and she'll be able to tell us what she want's instead of pointing and screaming for it.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter