Driving from NYC to WDW (How does this sound?)

kandb

DIS Veteran
We are going at the end of April. We will be spending 8 days in WDW. (4 on property, 4 off property). We are going to drive 7 hours the first day, stop somewhere near the beginning of NC, drive 7 hours the next day (spend the night in Savannah, GA) and then the 3rd day we will be to WDW in 4 hours. We are taking our mini-van and will have our almost 4 year old twins with us. How does this sound? Any advice? Thanks, Linda

Hi Linda!

You didn't mention what time you were planning on travelling -- maybe you don't know yet -- but I would definitely think about that because you're going to encounter traffic from NYC all the way through NJ, Philly, Baltimore, DC... it may take you longer than 7 hours that first day. I'm assuming you're taking I-95 most of the way.

I think some folks here have traveled as far out of the way as Scranton PA to hop onto I-81 and take another route to avoid a lot of the northeast traffic... anyone out there know what I am talking about, or am I imagining it???

Good luck!

We plan on leaving after rush hour from NYC, maybe 9:30-10:00a.m. That way we will hit DC around 2:00-3:00 p.m. Yes, we plan on taking I-95 the whole way. Linda

When driving to and from WDW, it's taken me about 3 hours each to cross North Carolina and South Carolina. If you make it as far as the NC/VA border, 7 hours should get you near Brunswick, closer to the FL line.

A number of people from farther north have said they make their way to I-81 to get around the DC/Baltimore/Philly/NJ/NY traffic. I-81 does get a lot of truck traffic, but you don't pass through major metro areas like you would on I-95.

ACK!

My DH makes this trip monthly.

Leave at 4:00am on a Saturday and even with the baby you'll be in Richmond Hill, GA (several good, clean, safe motels in the area) by 7:00pm. Geta good nights sleep and finish the last six or so hours the next day.

It takes DH normally 16-17 hours, but that's without a kid along.

There is no need to stop twice for the night.

His route is NJ Turnpike to 95 in DE, stays on 95, takes Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore >> BWE (I-295) >> Remain on 295 across the beltway and past Bolling onto the 95 south Wilson bridge for VA. Take the Richmond by-pass then rejoin 95 and stay on it all the way to I-4 in Daytona.

Like I said, he makes the trip every month, and has tried several options, this one is truly the fastest.

He leaves at 4:00 am and is usually home by 9:00pm.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter