Driving from NH

jenn0295

Earning My Ears
I'm starting to plan a trip to Disney from NH, for Feb. It may be the whole family... or it may just be my kids & I (15, 8 & my little one will be 11 months then) I don't like to fly & it could get expensive, so we've (I've) decided to drive. I'm thinking we'll probably stop twice? Leave Sat morning & plan to arrive in FL early Monday?
My question(s) are... I've read that it's possible to avoid NYC & DC & I'm thinking that'd be a good idea for me, but how does that work with a GPS? Wouldn't it just take me right through the quickest route?
Also, any places that I should avoid? If it does end up being just me, I'd like to avoid any sketchy places alone with 3 kids ;)

I'm starting to plan a trip to Disney from NH, for Feb. It may be the whole family... or it may just be my kids & I (15, 8 & my little one will be 11 months then) I don't like to fly & it could get expensive, so we've (I've) decided to drive. I'm thinking we'll probably stop twice? Leave Sat morning & plan to arrive in FL early Monday?
My question(s) are... I've read that it's possible to avoid NYC & DC & I'm thinking that'd be a good idea for me, but how does that work with a GPS? Wouldn't it just take me right through the quickest route?
Also, any places that I should avoid? If it does end up being just me, I'd like to avoid any sketchy places alone with 3 kids ;)

It is going to be a very long drive alone unless the 15 and 8 year old are helpful with the infant :-)

Scrap the GPS, print out your final set of directions and have the 15 year old help you. You will only be taking major highways, it will be hard to get lost. I'd plan to leave as early as possible Saturday morning and go as far as possible. Wake up Sunday and do the same thing, you will want to be at Disney for Sunday night, even if it is late. Remember you have to drive back the next weekend so you'll want as many full Disney vacation days as possible. Good luck!

Not me, I did it once and will never ever do it again. Amherst St in Nashua to Wally World. I'll poke my eyes out with a hot poker first.

I hate to disagree with NHDisneyFan as I'm still a Pats fan too, about the GPS.
While you may not need it for the trip down as long as you don't deviate from the main highways, if you do and get lost, it's nice to have. You'll also like having it when you're down here.

The worst thing will be the trip back. Leaving Florida for NH in Feb, where's that hot poker? BTW, Pixie dust only lasts so long. It'll probably wear off by the time you hit NY, just when you need it most.

We drove last March, leaving MAPike/Rte 84 exit at 4:30PM. Stopped to pick up DH at office in CT, then drove all the way non-stop. We arrived at 6:30. We had a child in a wheelchair (who was on the floor on a mattress after our first stop in NJ), so had a few long rest stops for diapers and other personal care for our disabled son.

It rained/sleeted from CT to NC and we saw a lot of cars spun out. I think a few spring breakers don't know how to drive tired and in the rain!

We took a few 2 hour naps between 2PM and 6A. I tried to drive, switched, but the other driver stopped after 45 minutes and we decided to sleep until breakfast. A very good move.

Driving through 95 and GW bridge really was not bad. Friday night, rain, around 8PM. I also was stuck in 2 hours once at 2AM on Sunday, so who knows. If GPS has traffic (my phone does), I'd get both routes (Tappan Zee and GW) and decide when close to Hartford to go 91 to 95 or keep on 84 to NY Thruway.

I'd only stop once unless you are visiting or going to see sights somewhere. We stopped in DC on the way home and took the morning to do some drive-by sight seeing in the city.

- Betty

I know the GPS can be helpful, but in general you are going to be on 95 South for 90% of the drive. Do not stress the NYC stretch, it is not that bad. I'd be worrying more about 1 adult who is doing the entire 22 hour drive keeping sane with 3 kids in the car.

Did the drive from Keene to WDW with a 7 and 5 year old straight thru once... never again. I will borrow that hot poker! Of course DH did the driving lol. But craziness.
We now have a rule that we stop no matter what for sleep. We leave around 7am, usually get to mid-bottom of NC by 10-11pm and stop and sleep. Finding a hotel can be hairy, but so worth it. Get up at 7 the next morning, stop at a Waffle House and are in WDW by 4-5. I of course pack drinks n snacks so that saves time at gas stations with kids wanting to go get something. Nope.. sit your butt there and we are out as soon as the tank is full lol.
DH does want to try that route around NYC/NJ/DC. He hates the NJTP and NYC with every single part of his being lol. He hates the tolls (all $30worth lol) and he hates the traffic. He says its worth the extra hour on the trip. But I have read weather permitting that route might not be reasonable. We have driven home in a blizzard. Its no fun regardless... Doing 25mph up the NJTP... too much LOL!!

To All,
Hi Jenn sorry to hijack a little - I posted on the 2,000 miles thread looking for some feedback for places to stop on the VA/NC border stretch of I95. My in-laws are taking a two day road trip to Disney from southern NH with their friends in December. My FIL wants to stop halfway, according to Google maps that's right around the border.

Any tips here that I can pass on to them about good stopping point on 1st day??? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

get on the train my friend :)
I LOVE it and would agree that I would rather poke my eyes out that drive that!!

I’m looking at the possibility of a solo trip with 2 kids coming up next month. My Fiancé and I had planned to drive down with the kids, it was going to be an easy drive for him, since he drives trucks for a living and had no concerns about driving, but we are having serious issues right now and he is no longer going with us. So, now a month out from our trip, the thought of paying for airfare is outrageous over the Thanksgiving holiday and I’m wondering, how doable it would be to just do the trip myself with the kids.

We’ll be leaving from Harrisburg, PA, and I presume I’ll try to drive as far as possible and then find somewhere to stay halfway down, we’ll stop at my brother’s house in Jacksonville for some rest and then continue on to Orlando.

But then I worry about the logistics, the silly logistics..what if I get a flat? What if I have to go to the bathroom and the kids are asleep? What if it snows and the roads are nasty? And so on..but the thought of paying airfare and then renting a car while there, will put a huge dent in my planned budget…

Don't leave the GPS home since it would extremly valuable if there was an accident and the need to detour. Depending on where you are in NH, you can avoid NYC by taking 84 through CT and then once in NY take 684 to 287 over the Tappan Zee Bridge and then the Garden State Parkway to the New Jersey Turnpike (which is back to being on 95). We live in CT and avoid 95 at all costs at all times of the day.

My number one concern is for your safety and that of the drivers around you. You are talking about a lot of driving plus looking after those kids, especially the baby. No matter what, it’ll be an experience that everyone will remember for a lifetime! My number two concern is the weather – snow in the northeast and sleet and freezing rain in the mid-Atlantic states. Fortunately traffic overall is lighter in the winter and road construction is pretty much on hold so those are pluses. I know you will get a lot of advise about going through the mountains on Rt. 81 but I think that is a bad idea in February – weatherwise. The temperature is a little warmer as you get closer to the coast which makes Rt 95 your best bet even with the heavier traffic around the big cities. I assume that you mean leaving early Saturday morning? Here’s how I would do the first part of your trip. Get over to Rt. 91 in Hartford (either down 84 if you are in the eastern part of NH or down 91 if you are near Vermont). Take 91 to Meriden where you get off onto Rt 15 (the Wilbur Cross Parkway which becomes the Merritt Parkway). Believe it or not but this is a better road than Rt 95. Stay on this until it hits Rt 287 then get onto 287 towards the Tappan Zee Bridge. Just before the bridge, get onto Rt 87 (the New York Thruway) south (this is a tricky exit so stay awake). This will take you right to the base of the GW Bridge and a spiral ramp up to the bridge. I always take the lower deck because it’s a little easier to get onto. There is no toll if you are going south. If all goes well, you should be across the Bridge about 5 hours after leaving home. From there it’s another 4 hours to Washington which on a Saturday late afternoon should present no serious traffic problems in February. Even Northern Virginia (which is normally the biggest headache) will not be a problem at that time of day on a Saturday. Once you get south of Washington, you’re golden! From just north of Washington (where we live) it’s a 12 ½ drive to WDW. If you get queasy at the thought of the GW Bridge, you can stay on 287 and take it across the Tappan Zee Bridge and take the Garden State Parkway to the NJ Turnpike. It might not be a bad idea to make a motel reservation for Saturday night either in Fredericksburg or Ashland (a college town). You can usually cancel these without cost if you do it by 6:00 pm. One other last little thing – I made two trips to NH in the last month and one of the biggest delays I experienced was at the toll booth in Delaware. Apparently there is construction going on there. There is an easy workaround by getting off the highway at either Exit 2 or Exit 3, going by the University and getting back onto Rt. 95 past the toll booth. Oh yes, and take your GPS with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter