Driving from NB. Any suggestions?

Disney_Mama

DIS Veteran
Going to be driving down this summer and was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints? I have bought an EZ-Pass and Sun-Pass. Leaving on a Friday and hope to be at OKW by Sunday early afternoon. I will be doing all the driving and don't mind doing long days.

That will be a great drive. I've driven east to Cape Breton several times, door to door about 21 hours (we're near Hamilton). The drive to Disney is about 19 hours for us, and I just today decided to drive down for a week next Friday with our daughter. Sunpass is a great investment, I picked up ours for our March trek. I understand there is ongoing and/or upcoming construction on the I4 inbound to Orlando, so you may want to consider taking a toll road when you get closer to Disney. Apparently they're putting a few more toll booths on the I4. Do a thread search on this site, there is one dedicated to traffic concerns.

If you're taking the route through the Virginias and Carolinas, mind your speed, even a couple miles over the limit can get you a hefty ticket. Lots of troopers. Lots of 70 and 65 mph roads though. Have fun!

Grab a copy of Drive I-95 for your navigator. A great way to find out what's at the next exit over the horizon, and to find out where the radar traps are usually located.

Get the gasbuddy app on your smart phone so you can shop the best fuel prices on the way down. Arrive with a few extra $$ for the park.

If you aren't preplanning your overnight stops (we don't), stop at the state welcome centers and grab the hotel discount booklets. They have great coupons for walk-in rates, but run them against the CAA travel guide or an app to make sure the hotel is okay. I like long distance driving too (ours is about 22 hours on I-81/I-95), but I always stop when I start to feel tired. Not having a reservation means I can go further if I'm not tired, or I'm not pushing to make a pre-reserved destination if I am tired. Arrive alive.

The state welcome centres are great pit stops on the way down and back. I'm pretty sure I've peed in every one from Eastern Ontario to Florida and back. Kind of feels like a dog leaving his calling card in each state. Arrive comfortable.

If you have time, don't forget to stop and see some sights along the way. I don't mind driving endlessly, but DW gets more than a little car crazy, and I have to remember to let her out every now and then. Arrive Married.

Sunday traffic should be okay across Orlando on the I-4, but it at all in doubt definitely take the 417 tollway around Orlando. It starts around Sanford and ends right near the Maingate (South) end of Disney property. Since you have SunPass you can sail right along the whole length. Arrive without Road Rage.

Enjoy the drive and your time when you arrive!

Last edited:
Drove down in 2006. Kinda got stuck around Washington beltway for a few hours.
You can avoid by going further in 84 west and 81 south I believe.
We tend to do a day drive to Manchester NH and fly from there now. Cheap 3 hour flights.

Thanks for the advice. I have done the drive many times on I75 when we lived in Ontario. Only done it once on I95 and that was a few years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter