Driving from Milwaukee???

WIDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
We are just back from a wonderful Disney vacation and have started planning for next year. For the first time one idea we are considering is driving from Milwaukee (with an extended stop to visit family on the way down)

My question is very simple - in your experience how long is the drive from Milwaukee to Disney (time wise) - I have looked at a number of sources and they differ by as much as 6hrs which is 30% of the total driver time!

Bing says 18hrs 34min
Google 21hrs 33min
Microsoft Street and Trips 18 hrs 49min
DIS Website 24hrs 24min

So what has your experience been?

21 hours driving straight through. That was back in the early 1980's though. I've always flown to Orlando since then.

Straight trip with out stopping, we've done it 19 1/2 hours and 20. If you can rotate drivers and eat on the run while fueling. Good luck...we live in between Madison and Milwaukee.:thumbsup2

I will agree that the 18 hour estimates are too low. We have driven straight through from Sheboygan (1 hour north) in just about 22-23 hours. That was also rotating drivers and not stopping for a long lunch - just drive through.

Definitely not less than 20 hours straight through. We live outside of Chicago and drive every Sept. It takes us just about 24 hours but we stop for fast food meals. The drive down is awesome...drive back not so much.:rotfl:

I've done that trip a couple of times in the last few years...but never straight through! :scared1:

I'd say that 21-24 hour time frame is reasonably accurate. Also remember to take into account the major bottlenecks along the route: Chicago, Nashville and Atlanta. And it's always nice to be able to take time to stop and see stuff along the way.

I have done it in 19 hours including time to fill up the tank and grab something to eat. You will have to add time because we drive from Janesville and avoid Chicago traffic by using 39. This saves you at least two hours, so from Milwaukee, I would figure 21 hours at least.

I would go with the google search try mapquest or AAA triptrik. We are 2 hours north of Milwaukee and it too us about 23 hours. Try to plan around Chicago rush and it goes a lot faster. We took the skyline this time and a lot better driving than the toll way.

We've driven from Milwaukee three times, and I wish we were for our next trip in October but time won't allow. As pp said, the drive down is great!! The one back not so much, because I am sad.

It usually takes us about 21 hours from Milwaukee to Orlando. On our trip last year, we left home at 3:00 am to get through all that road construction mess from Kenosha through Chicago and to beat the day-long rush hour in Chicago. After that, smooth sailing. It really is a pretty ride through the Smokey Mountains, especially in the fall. Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter