Driving from Memphis, TN to WDW

disprincessmama

Earning My Ears
Has anyone driven to Orlando from Memphis, TN? Any suggestions on route to take, good places to stop along the way, etc.???

Hi There!

My future in-laws are driving from Tennessee for our wedding. Most of them who are driving plan to stay a night in Atlanta to break the trip down to two days. This way you're still somewhat refreshed your first day there. :) I hope that helped.

Ashley

If you stay in Atlanta I would suggest the Hotel Suite One in Woodstock. It is off the beaten path a bit (about 14 miles from I-75). But, it is clean, and cheap. And, provides very easy access to I-75 the next day.

If you need directions or a phone number let me know.

Have fun.

I would REALLY suggest NOT stopping in Atlanta....there are plenty of overnight clean, nice enough places south of there and then you don't run the risk of hitting AM rush hour tie ups the next AM.

If you are willing to get an eaarly start from Memphis you could easily get through Atlanta before PM ruch hour. I would suggest Macon...it is less than an hour south of Atlanta with many lodging choices (try Priceline)...then you have an easy 5 or 6 hours the second day to get to WDW.

Wherever you decide to stop I would plan it so that you will not be in Atlanta between 7 and 9AM and 4 to 7PM....it will really delay your trip. (weekdays only)

In Nashville be sure to take the I-440 loop over to I-24. They are doing MAJOR work on i-40 so you want to get off it as soon as possible.

I'm leaving for WDW the same day you are, from Collierville, and I am planning on taking 78 to Birmingham, were I will get on I-20 to Atlanta. From there I will take I-285 around the city to I-75.

I'm hoping it takes less than 14 hours this way....

Thanks for the advice. We had been told about a route to take that doesn't go through Atlanta. I think it takes you down through Mobile, AL. Anyone done this? I think we are going to drive straight through, leaving in the morning.

Going through Mobile would be out of the way and take longer.
You could take 78 to Birmingham and then take I-65 to Montgomery and then 231 from Montgomery through Dothan Al to I-10. From I-10 you would get on I-75 south to Orlando.
Ps....if you pass a black mercury mountaineer with a mickey baseball antenna topper and a DVC license plate on the front.. that's me!

Just curious, following the Alabama route you describe, how long does it take to get from Birmingham to Orlando?

Thanks!
Karla B.

p.s. We're driving from Nashville, but have been trying to think of a non-Atlanta area route and had been wondering about going through AL instead.

When I run it through AAA's triptik, it gives a time of 10 hours, 45 minutes.
I've never driven that way so I don't know how close to actual time that quote is. I personally think that is way off. But then every trip calculator, mapquest, google, etc, gives me a different time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter