Driving From Illinois

bmorr1963

Mouseketeer
Has anyone driven from the Chicago area to Orlando lately? Once into Indiana, I generally take highway 65 south through the state into Kentucky/Tennessee. However, I have been reading a lot about construction that could be severe not only in Indiana but south of Louisville, KY on Highway 65. Any updates?

Has anyone driven Highway/Route 41 (southbound) in Indiana as a southbound alternative to get into the Kentucky/Tennessee region?

Thanks in advance of your replies.

I've taken the US 41 route numerous times. It's a 4 lane road with very little traffic, construction or stop lights (after you get south of St. John, IN). I rarely saw police on that road and traffic is normally similar to interstate speeds. The only areas you will slow down in is Terre Haute and Evansville, but I normally can get through both in about 10-15 minutes. The drive in Indiana on 41 is definitely more beautiful than taking I-65 IMO. Once you get through Evansville, US 41 turns into I-69 for awhile until Morton's Gap. Again, very little traffic and construction. After Morton's Gap, the interstate turns into the Pennyrile Parkway. Its a relatively quick drive then to catch I-24.

If you choose to do this, I suggest grabbing I-394 south of Chicago, turning east on Exchange St., south of Sauk Village, turn south on Calumet, and east on 109th st to grab US 41. This will cut out all of Schererville and St. John which could save you an extra 30 to 40 minutes of drive time depending on when you go through the area. Don't let you GPS sweet talk you into taking US 30 (That is a story for another time).

One of the best parts of this route is the great farmers markets/Amish stands along the way. We always pickup fresh fruit and bakery on the way down. Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for the report. I was hesitant thinking it would be a lot slower than 65. Is going through Terre Haute and Evansville street-to-street with stop lights? That initially seems like it would be slow - - but having never been through those cities, not sure if there is a bypass to get around them or just easiest to go through.

I was just in Evansville (just the Northern part) Thursday. There's no bypass. It's a nice highway, but you will lose some time with the lights.

my understanding is 65 south of Indpls is a complete mess. I was warned to take back roads from friends in the area

We drive from the chicago ohare area we have a road trip planned for July 2 if 65 is under construction from what I read it's a nightmare for the next few years http://www.jconline.com/story/news/2015/05/16/travel-nightmare-coming-soon/27453447/
we might take 57 thru Illinois to 24 -75 onto the turnpike we exit at 429 which takes us to western way on Disney property which saves us the traffic on I4
The 429 is a toll road the exit is 267A (western beltway) right towards Tampa exit Disney world hartzog rd exit 8
Western way leads to coronado springs resort area
BTW if you look to your left at exit 13 on429 on a clear day you can see Cinderella's castle the contemporary resort tower of terror and spaceship earth

Last edited:

We drive from the chicago ohare area...

...we might take 57 thru Illinois to 24 ...

We drove few times via I-65 and got discouraged not only driving south, but coming back as well after driving over 2 hours just to pass the last 30 miles...

Now we always take 57 to 24, will never drive on I-65 again.

The only thing I don't like about driving 57 is when the sign says welcome to Illinois I still have over 5 hours to go I guess its a mind over matter thing

Last edited:
I have a family member who took I-65 from Chicago to Indy today. They said they were white-knuckled most of the drive due to high traffic volume and numerous construction areas. They were suppose to arrive at their destination around 1 pm but didn't arrive to 2:20.

65 has many, many construction zones through the entire state and I would avoid it if I were you depending on the time of day and date you plan to travel.

The only thing I don't like about driving 57 is when the sign says welcome to Illinois I still have over 5 hours to go I guess its a mind over matter thing

Whatever works for you the best.

I'd rather not enjoy the view of Chicago Skyline for couple of hours before I can see in it my rear view mirror... :sad2:

Just like the State of Georgia. They're both a VERY long drive, but necessary to get to Disney and to get home for us. We've done the drive both ways (through Indiana and through Illinois) several times and prefer going down I57 through Illinois. It's a bit longer, but we avoid the "white knuckle" driving on I65.

I'm bad with directions but I live close to the Illinois border (in Ky). Would it be much further if you drove through KY (I 24) down through Nashville to get on I 40 and then go through Chattanooga and down through Atlanta to Orlando? We go that way but I am not sure if it will add too much time on your trip. My sis drove from Indiana through Louisville on Sunday and said I 65 was horrible with lots of detours due to all the construction.

I live in Evansville. There is a bypass. While driving south on 41, just north of Evansville, take I-64 east toward Louisville for a few miles and then take I-69 south. This stretch of highway was formerly called I-164 but was recently designated as I-69. Just south of Evansville you will rejoin 41 to take you into KY. As there is construction on 41, taking it down to one lane, it would be a good idea to take the bypass. Happy trails!

Just thought to add, take 41 south until you can take IN hwy 63 south. There is so little traffic just be sure watch your speed in Clinton. You will rejoin 41 south in Terre Haute. Lots of lights in Terre Haute. Also, between Terre Haute and Evansville be sure you drop your speed in those small towns, particularly Farmersburg and Sullivan. Plenty of tickets issued in those areas.

Last edited:
Made this drive home on Sunday. Used the Waze app going both ways. Got re-routed after crossing into Louisville and ended up going east to Lexington and down through Knoxville. Did a straight shot up 65 from Nashville on Sunday. MAJOR back-up on the southbound lanes south of Indy. I did not want to be on that side of the highway.

Is there a site you use that works best for gas prices leaving tomorrow morning

The site Gas Buddy allows you to input your starting and ending points (and any stops in between) and will calculate how much gas you'll use and where you are most likely to stop based on your vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter