• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Greensboro, NC

alexander09

Earning My Ears
HELP!

Our family will be visiting Disney for the first time and we will be driving from Greensboro, NC. We are arriving on Saturday, February 8th and I'm getting conflicting directions!!!!

Has anyone ever made this trip? And if so how do you drive down and how long does it take. I'm coming up with everything from 8-12 hours and I don't know what maps/apps to trust!

It will be me, my spouse, and our 4 year old daughter. We were planning on leaving around 5am on Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I'm such a planner and this is STRESSING me out!!!!!

We live in Hillsborough and took 40 to 95 to 4... If i was in Greensboro... I would probably go toward Charlotte and then cut over to 95...it took us forever because we have a one year old and had to stop a bunch but it is a really easy drive! You will have an awesome time!! Have fun!

I'm in Charlotte and take 77S to Columbia and then 26E to 95. Stay on 95S until around Daytona and take I4. From my house in south Charlotte to Disney is about 8 hours.

I'm in Charlotte and take 77S to Columbia and then 26E to 95. Stay on 95S until around Daytona and take I4. From my house in south Charlotte to Disney is about 8 hours.

We are in Greensboro as well and take 85 to Charlotte and then follow this exact route. We are actually leaving a day ahead of you and heading down. We tend to leave around midnight, helps with traffic. We have gotten down there in around 9 hours. Its gonna be dependent on how many times you stop and what time you get to Jacksonville at, so keep that in mind.

Safe travels! :thumbsup2

HELP!

Our family will be visiting Disney for the first time and we will be driving from Greensboro, NC. We are arriving on Saturday, February 8th and I'm getting conflicting directions!!!!

Has anyone ever made this trip? And if so how do you drive down and how long does it take. I'm coming up with everything from 8-12 hours and I don't know what maps/apps to trust!

It will be me, my spouse, and our 4 year old daughter. We were planning on leaving around 5am on Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I'm such a planner and this is STRESSING me out!!!!!

Good advice from the previous posters.:thumbsup2

The NC 'fall line' for heading West vs. East is somewhere around Burlington. From GSO, I would go to Charlotte, then take the 77,26, 95, I-4 to WDW.
As a point of reference, we drive from just outside W-S, and it's 8.5-9.0 hours every time, with no sit down meals and 2 stops for gas/restroom breaks. I keep it within 10 mph of the speed limit, and generally run with traffic flow.
(From Charlotte at the NC/SC line, it's 532 miles to WDW property, going the above mentioned route).

Leaving Saturday that early, you should not have any traffic issues (knock on wood). The main potential traffic areas would be where you bounce off Columbia, SC and then again at Jacksonville, FL. Columbia shouldn't be an issue that early, and Jacksonville has the bypass if 95 was backed up, which only adds a few minutes.

If you need more info, feel free to post here, or pm me.
Travel safe!
Rob

We drive from Western, NC and take the 77-26-95-4 route as well. I usually take the 295 east loop around Jacksonville to avoid downtown. It's a little longer but much less stressful in my opinion and the kid likes to drive over the big suspension bridge near the port.

It takes us an 1 1/2 hours to get to 77 and it takes us about 10 - 10 1/2 hours to get to the main gate.

Have a safe trip OP.

Thanks for all the responses. We live on the eastern edge of Greensboro and closer to Burlington. The directions to drive up to Charlotte and then down is what I was getting but not understanding. I think we may take the east route. We are much more familiar with 220, so I think we will be going down that way. Lots to think about though - who knows we may end up doing the Charlotte route!
So excited for our first trip!

Since the 220 route is pretty specific to the GSO/Asheboro area, it doesn't get covered alot here on the board. If you do go that route, please post back about your trip. The 220 route does seem to be shorter, but gets kind of choppy with small towns and zig zags as you work your way to I-95. Still, if it's easy access from your home, it could be worth taking a look at. You could always pick 2 of the 3 options, change it up down and back, and at least rule out 1 of those for future trips.

Since the 220 route is pretty specific to the GSO/Asheboro area, it doesn't get covered alot here on the board. If you do go that route, please post back about your trip. The 220 route does seem to be shorter, but gets kind of choppy with small towns and zig zags as you work your way to I-95. Still, if it's easy access from your home, it could be worth taking a look at. You could always pick 2 of the 3 options, change it up down and back, and at least rule out 1 of those for future trips.

We do the 220 route. I go 220 to 74 East to 38 East to I-95. From the Asheboro area, it takes exactly 2 hours to get to I-95 just north of Florence. It would probably take about 2.5 hours to get from Greensboro. I DO NOT recommend 220 to 1 through Cheraw and Society Hill, etc. It is more direct but you really do drive through lots of small towns, lots of stoplights, and it takes longer to get to I-95. Society Hill is a huge speed trap, where is you go any faster than 35, you will get a ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter