DRIVING from Fort Worth/Dallas to WDW

RSADP

Mouseketeer
3 adults, 3 pre-schoolers...in a Suburban. Please help me plan this drive.

Would like to arrive at WDW on a Saturday evening, with plenty of time to get some rest for a busy Sunday at MK starting with BBB at 8am. We probably won't be able to leave Fort Worth until late Friday afternoon.

Is this drive do-able with 3 drivers? hope to drive straight through so we won't have to pay for a hotel halfway.

Any suggestions on where to stop to let the kids burn some energy? Any cheap places to eat?

Whats the best route to save time and avoid traffic jams?

And what's a Mickey Mile???

Thanks in advance

We've driven from Fort Worth a couple of times. It is about a twenty hour drive. It is very doable. We usually leave early in the morning, taking I-20 through Louisiana and just past Jackson, Mississippi we cut down US 49 and then US 59 to Mobile where we get on I-10 then to I-75. We stop in Tallahassee for the night so that we have a short drive on arrival day. Once you pass Jackson, there is not much in the way of Starbucks but you will come across some McDonald's for some coffee!

The rest stops are good through Louisiana. We stop in Vicksburg and again in Jackson if we need to but then there really aren't any good stops until Mobile.

The Florida rest stops are great for the kids.

We usually pack some breakfast items and for lunch and dinner stop at a Subway or something.

Have a great trip. This time we are flying but we have some great memories of driving to Florida in our Suburban with our three boys!

Cathy

We've driven from Fort Worth a couple of times. It is about a twenty hour drive. It is very doable. We usually leave early in the morning, taking I-20 through Louisiana and just past Jackson, Mississippi we cut down US 49 and then US 59 to Mobile where we get on I-10 then to I-75. We stop in Tallahassee for the night so that we have a short drive on arrival day. Once you pass Jackson, there is not much in the way of Starbucks but you will come across some McDonald's for some coffee!

The rest stops are good through Louisiana. We stop in Vicksburg and again in Jackson if we need to but then there really aren't any good stops until Mobile.

The Florida rest stops are great for the kids.

We usually pack some breakfast items and for lunch and dinner stop at a Subway or something.

Have a great trip. This time we are flying but we have some great memories of driving to Florida in our Suburban with our three boys!

Cathy

Thank you sooo much for the great travel tips! I have your pit stops marked on my map now!

I was having a talk with my DH about this and got on to ask about it as well. Luckily, our children are older (11 & 12) and can be easily entertained with DVD's. We are talking about going late next year or early 2012. My DH just thinks that after the drive from Fort Worth, that once we get to WDW, we will be too tired from the drive to enjoy it.

I was having a talk with my DH about this and got on to ask about it as well. Luckily, our children are older (11 & 12) and can be easily entertained with DVD's. We are talking about going late next year or early 2012. My DH just thinks that after the drive from Fort Worth, that once we get to WDW, we will be too tired from the drive to enjoy it.

We have flown the past 3 trips to WDW...this will be the first car trip. I was worried that we would be too tired but once you get to the World--I think the long road trip will be long forgotten. I hesitated and tried to see where I could pull funds to purchase plane tickets...but it will be an experience in itself to drive there!

Please keep in touch if you find out any tips! And after our trip I will try to fill you in!

I keep trying to tell my DH that driving there would be like having two vacations in one. He just thinks that with the boys, we have to fly. Which I don't understand b/c growing up we always drove. My plan is to get up early one day and drive straight to Gulf Shores, AL. We would spend the night there, the next day, spend it hanging out on the beach. When I was a child we had several summers that we went there b/c we had a time share on the beach there. Then day 3 we would get up and drive the rest of the way to WDW. That night we would go to bed early. Then we would spend the next 3 or 4 days in the parks. On the way home, depending on finances, I would love to check into a beach hotel not far from Kennedy Space Center. Then spend on day at the beach and another day checking out KSC before heading home.

If I find any tips, I'll make sure you share. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

We drove a few years back and like PP it took about 20 hours. We split the drive into two days. We drove the first day to New Orleans and spent the night that way we could see and do some fun stuff. The next day we drove straight to DW. On the way back we spent a night in Biloxi. I found the drive to be okay from FW to about the Pensacola area. After Pensacola it was a rough ride for us. There wasn't a lot and it just seemed like it took forever. I would encourage however you can make it to DW go that way...all I can say is we will not drive it again. It was too long for us. Good Luck!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter