• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Clearwater

PooohBear

Gimme peanut butter and jelly
We are going to Clearwater in November, can't pass up the opportunity to go to Disney since it's so close ! My plan is to rent a car and drive to Orlando, is this an easy drive for someone directionally challenged :drive:And can anyone give me a rough estimate how long it would actually take me to get there on a Sunday morning ? Thank for any help !

You're flying into PIE?

St Pete's/Clearwater airport to WDW is approx a 90 minute drive at that time of day on a Sunday (traffic could add 20-30 minutes if you are returning at a busier time).
It's fairly straightforward, when you leave the airport turn east on to Ulmerton Road (SR-688).
Drive for about 4 miles and take the I-275 East exit.
Stay on I-275 for for about 15-16 miles (across the bay and into Tampa) and you will see the I-4 signs, it's kind of straight through, I-275 turns north and I-4 continues east. Just follow the I-4 signs.
From here its about 65-70 miles east along I-4 before you will see the WDW signing

Directionally, I-275 and I-4 are pretty easy as described above. Stay clear of the Veterans Expressway to the west and north of Tampa Airport (FL 589) - this is a tollway that is toll-by-plate only and you will get a bill in the mail for using it. Just be sure if you are using FL 60 to and from Clearwater to stay south toward Tampa and I-275.

I do want to warn you about the "easy" part of your question. Sunday morning is likely to be easiest in terms of when you drive. But I-275 in Tampa is often congested and adds time if you do not use detours like Hillsborough Ave. And I-4 from Tampa to Daytona is one of the most congested Interstates in the country, often with heavy traffic, "rubberbanding" slowdowns, and accidents/breakdowns along the shoulders. Leave a super long following distance in front of you and stay alert! (Don't forget I-4 is under construction through downtown Orlando and is often stop-and-go from Lake Buena Vista up to Maitland.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter