• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Bay area to DL resort

richfei

Earning My Ears
We're heading down to DL on Sun June 12
We'll be driving and heading to one of the offsite hotels on Harbor
Mapquest is suggesting taking the 5 down and taking exit 110A on Harbor

From searching the forums, it seems as though 5 is the fastest way to go, but the traffic can be really bad from the Grapevine onwards and particularly around Magic Mountain

I'd like to take the 5 down there, but is there any alternate routes to avoid the traffic around Magic Mountain. Someone mentioned the 405, but I don't often head down there, so I'm not sure at all if that makes sense or it's too long of a detour

Any good sites to check latest traffic conditions in that area ?

Your choices don't really open up until you are past Magic Mountain. I would at least stick with the 5 until you start getting into the metro LA area. From there, if you really want to avoid the downtown LA area, you can take the 210 East to the 57 South, then exit Ball Rd, and head west for about 2-3 miles. This will run you right into the DLR area. This route takes you up and around the LA basin, so it is not as direct, but can be less traffic. Check it out on mapquest or google maps and see how it compares (in mileage and minutes) to the 5.

I would avoid the 405, as this is almost always a congested freeway and really doesn't get you to DLR. If you are arriving into the LA area when it is not rush hour, then I would just take the 5 all the way. Sundays are not too bad, but traffic can pick up in the later afternoon. The 5 is definitely the most direct route from where you are coming.

I agree..take 5 all the way. Just plan to not be on the road anywhere past Magic Mountain between 6 and 10 in the morning and 3 and 6 in the evening and you should not have any problems. Traffic is really only bad at those times. Also, if you are traveling on the weekends you should have no trouble at all. Gook luck and have a great time!! :cheer2:

We take the 5 all the way...we have a Garmin and she re-routes us if we hit traffic but we take the 5 until we are into LA.

We are in the Bay Area and always just take the 5 all the way as well. You will get there eventually, I promise! We are sort of experts at this drive, as all of my in laws live in Los Angeles. We typically leave very early in the morning (like 6:00 a.m., sometimes earlier)--and then get to L.A. around lunch time. The only time we didn't do this (we left later--around 9:30), we were kicking ourselves. We got stuck in traffic h-e-double hockey sticks by Magic Mountain and our middle child got car sick (won't say more that that, but use your imagination) from all the stopping and starting and extra hours in the car. We vowed to never do that again, and so far have stuck with it.

The 5 is most likely the best way to go. The 405 isn't going to let you avoid the Magic Mountain area, so that wouldn't make much of a difference. You could take the 5S to the 405S to the 55N back onto the 5N and that'll drop you right off at DL. It would add about 15 or 20 minutes onto your trip, but if the 5 has alot of traffic, that might be most beneficial :confused3 Either way, you'll most likely hit a little traffic, but being a Sunday, it shouldn't be so bad.

We did 210 / 57 route for the first time this past February. We normally just take 5all the way.

The 210 / 57 would have been great but there was an accident on the 210 going down and an accident coming home.

Overall the traffic was less (minus the 45 minute backup due to the accidents) and there was a carpool lane "most" of the way.

There is one tricky spot on the 210 where it seems like you are getting off the freeway but you are actually continuing on. We almost missed it.

The 210 / 57 route was recommended by a co worker who used to live in the area.

If we drive down again we would probably take 210 / 57 again.

We're heading down to DL on Sun June 12
We'll be driving and heading to one of the offsite hotels on Harbor
Mapquest is suggesting taking the 5 down and taking exit 110A on Harbor

From searching the forums, it seems as though 5 is the fastest way to go, but the traffic can be really bad from the Grapevine onwards and particularly around Magic Mountain

I'd like to take the 5 down there, but is there any alternate routes to avoid the traffic around Magic Mountain. Someone mentioned the 405, but I don't often head down there, so I'm not sure at all if that makes sense or it's too long of a detour

Any good sites to check latest traffic conditions in that area ?

I am in Santa Clara and don't worry. One of the BEST days to travel through LA is on a Sunday. I often plan my drive on Sunday and so far never had any trouble. Mind you I have made the drive on plenty of other days and it was bad. Go for it! :banana:

So Cal native here who knows the drive from up North well and all the areas here in the South. The traffic for Magic Mountain really isn't bad at all. Believe me the punishment of the 405 is much worse than anything Magic Mountain can offer, and like others have said, the 405 comes after Magic Mountain so it won't help anyway. The quickest route was already stated...take the 5 all the way, then the 210 E (easy to miss so be careful) and then the 57S and exit on Ball or Katella Road. That is the best and fastest way (if you wish to avoid downtown LA). If you really want to miss Magic Mountain, there is a small scenic highway that comes right after the grapewine that will take you off the 5 and to the 101. It is called Highway 126. You will miss MM that way. It is a pretty drive...takes you through Fillmore and Santa Paula and then connects you to the 101 in Ventura. The only thing with that is that it makes you drive through downtown LA on the 101, which some people might like. It might take a little longer, however. Good luck!

BTW we're doing the same drive.. the same day :) Sacramento to Paradise Pier :) We're leaving at the butt crack of dawn though..

On a Sunday, you should be able to take the 5 all the way down. If it gets traffic-y at all, I would do the 210/57 detour to save time. But avoid the 405, I swear that freeway is the worst of all! I hate driving the 405 to Orange County. Blech. :sick:

On a Sunday, you should be able to take the 5 all the way down. If it gets traffic-y at all, I would do the 210/57 detour to save time. But avoid the 405, I swear that freeway is the worst of all! I hate driving the 405 to Orange County. Blech. :sick:

On a sunday we once got from Santa Clarita (Magic Mountain) all the way through LA to Anaheim in less than an hour because of the lack of traffic. Like I said, Sunday is a good time to drive. OF course nobody can precict a huge accident or something unforseen but IN GENERAL I would stay on 5 the whole way down.

On a sunday we once got from Santa Clarita (Magic Mountain) all the way through LA to Anaheim in less than an hour because of the lack of traffic. Like I said, Sunday is a good time to drive. OF course nobody can precict a huge accident or something unforseen but IN GENERAL I would stay on 5 the whole way down.

Exactly. Sundays in general are one of the best days to drive in LA. For me, Fridays are the worst and Fridays during rush hour, the absolute worst! I lived in the valley and one day had a flight out of LB on Friday at 7pm (don't ask!). The drive from my house to LB should have been 45 minutes to an hour. It took me four hours to make that drive! :scared1: I almost missed my flight. Lesson learned.

We were aiming for about 5 am departure.. car packed the night before and put the kids in the car in their PJ's we'll dress them later :)

I have a 5 pm goofy's kitchen reservation to get to! LOL

If you really want to miss Magic Mountain, there is a small scenic highway that comes right after the grapewine that will take you off the 5 and to the 101. It is called Highway 126. You will miss MM that way. It is a pretty drive...takes you through Fillmore and Santa Paula and then connects you to the 101 in Ventura. The only thing with that is that it makes you drive through downtown LA on the 101, which some people might like. It might take a little longer, however. Good luck!

You can also just take the 101 all the way down from the Bay Area. If you start your drive in the morning, you should hit SLO around lunchtime and that's a better place to stop without veering too far off course than anything remotely comparable along the 5, imo (cute downtown to walk around in and some great casual restaurants). Also, the drive is prettier because you pass by the ocean a few times (and avoid the stinky cows just north of Harris Ranch :thumbsup2). Once in the San Fernando Valley, just take the 101 east and continue onto Highway 134 (do not turn south to head into Hollywood), and you will connect up with the 5 in Burbank. The 134 also takes you right by the Walt Disney Studios :wizard: (so be on the lookout on the left side if you choose to take this route).

Along the lines of the OP, I'm looking for some advice regarding the drive from San Luis Obispo to DLR on a Friday.
We'll be leaving our hotel in San Luis Obispo on a Friday morning (hope to be on road by 9:00) and making a beeline to DLR in order to avoid Friday traffic. Question is which route to take?
We would like to stay on 1/101 as long as possible without causing us major delays, so maybe...
101-134-5?
101-134-210-57S?
Hwy 1 into Santa Monica and then 10 to 5?

Any opinions or even other routes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CPC

I think everyone else posted exactly what I was going to say (avoid the 405 at all costs!!!) but I also saw that you asked for sites to update you on traffic conditions. Well unless you have a phone that can access the internet (someone else in the car to do it) a website isn't going to be the most useful once you are in the LA area so my advice is to tune your radio to AM 1070, KNX news radio. I have found that it provides the most accurate traffic updates so even if you can't get around it, you are at least prepared for what is coming ahead and if there are lanes blocked, you won't get caught unprepared in the wrong lane. Updates come even 10 minutes on the 5s (15, 25, 35, etc.) Hope this helps and have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter