Driving down to WDW from PA on Friday (after the storm). I-81 or I-95?

TrustyMutsi

Earning My Ears
I know there are other threads that handle this, but I wanted to get an opinion on this keeping in mind that we're driving the day after a big winter storm.

We probably won't have a 4-wheel drive car to use, as it's having issues, so the snow is a bit more of a threat to us on this trip. We'll be driving a Honda Fit.

Is looks like I-81 to I-77 to I-95 will take us out of the Washington DC traffic, and only takes about 25 more minutes for us, but I'm concerned the road conditions may be a lot worse on I-81.

We might try timing the trip so we're taking I-95, and going near DC around 11am, so we'd hopefully avoid the traffic jams.

Any thoughts on the best/safest way we can get to WDW? We'll be stopping in GA the first night, so we're not trying to do the whole trip in one shot.

Thanks for any feedback.

What part of PA are you from. I checked Accuweather and it seems the heaviest band of snow is on the I-81 corridor (12+ inches). I-95 corridor is only supposed to get 6+ inches. I would keep an eye on the storm to see how it tracks. Another thing to consider is volume of traffic. There will be a much greater volume of it on I-95 than on I-81. Either way make sure you take food and winter supplies in case you get stranded. Good luck...Just keep thinking...I am going to Disney and it will make it better

What part of PA are you from. I checked Accuweather and it seems the heaviest band of snow is on the I-81 corridor (12+ inches). I-95 corridor is only supposed to get 6+ inches. I would keep an eye on the storm to see how it tracks. Another thing to consider is volume of traffic. There will be a much greater volume of it on I-95 than on I-81. Either way make sure you take food and winter supplies in case you get stranded. Good luck...Just keep thinking...I am going to Disney and it will make it better

I'm from the eastern side, around Allentown.

How do you find out the inches for the different highways on accuweather?

Crud, seeing all the weather reports, this seems the WORST time to take this trip. I'm tempted to cancel it.

I would take I-95. as the PP said, the I-81 area is getting a lot more snow. Besides that there are a lot more truck taking that route. Our daughter goes to school in Blacksburg and we all despise the traffic on 81.

If you go on Accuweather.com there is a section on this storm and it shows the path of the storm placed over maps of the interstates. The storm definitely shows that I-81 will be in the 12+ range. But if you are leaving Friday the worst of the storm may have moved through, and roads may be well plowed by then

I know there are other threads that handle this, but I wanted to get an opinion on this keeping in mind that we're driving the day after a big winter storm.

We probably won't have a 4-wheel drive car to use, as it's having issues, so the snow is a bit more of a threat to us on this trip. We'll be driving a Honda Fit.

Is looks like I-81 to I-77 to I-95 will take us out of the Washington DC traffic, and only takes about 25 more minutes for us, but I'm concerned the road conditions may be a lot worse on I-81.

We might try timing the trip so we're taking I-95, and going near DC around 11am, so we'd hopefully avoid the traffic jams.

Any thoughts on the best/safest way we can get to WDW? We'll be stopping in GA the first night, so we're not trying to do the whole trip in one shot.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have made the drive a few times from pa. :lmao:

I use 81/77/26/95 in the non winter months only!!! I spent the night in my car in a truck stop in the early 80s because of the snow in the mtns.

winter I use 78/81/66/17/95. 17 is a four lane road but it will take you thru towns with stop lights. you will hit i95 just north of Richmond. you will avoid philly, balt and dc. just don't hit Richmond at rush hour. I stay on 95 all the way thru Richmond and Jacksonville. takes me 15 1/2 hours from the Lehigh
valley. :thumbsup2

I have made the drive a few times from pa. :lmao:

I use 81/77/26/95 in the non winter months only!!! I spent the night in my car in a truck stop in the early 80s because of the snow in the mtns.

winter I use 78/81/66/17/95. 17 is a four lane road but it will take you thru towns with stop lights. you will hit i95 just north of Richmond. you will avoid philly, balt and dc. just don't hit Richmond at rush hour. I stay on 95 all the way thru Richmond and Jacksonville. takes me 15 1/2 hours from the Lehigh
valley. :thumbsup2

This route looks promising. I do NOT want to drive around Philly if I can help it.

So I-81 southbound before 66 isn't bad in the winter?

This route looks promising. I do NOT want to drive around Philly if I can help it.

So I-81 southbound before 66 isn't bad in the winter?

i81 isn't to bad. its when you start heading into the mountains on i81 and i77. i66 isn't to far across the ma/va boarder and its before you start getting into the higher elevations.
we started out in the rain in the early 80s one year.it was just my wife and I and we were in our early 20s. it was rainy on the bottom of the mountain and snowing to beat the band in the mountains. I will never forget the night in our car at whites truck stop.:lmao: i81 was started to get slippery and the snow started to pile up. there was a tractor trailer sitting on the side of the road. I pulled over next to him and he said "don't try it the road is blocked and slick." we got off that exit and pulled into whites. we got gas, ate at found a nice place to park and folded the seat down. we left the car run for heat. we are to old for that anymore.:lmao:
I have been using 66/17 for years and love it. keeps you out of the major cities and belt ways.
make sure you have food,water and blankets in the car and a shovel. Im in outside sales and drive 40k plus a year just remember..... its not worth your life. pull off if it gets bad. watch the tractor trailers, if you see them pulling off, its time to get off the road. what I did when we went down this past December, I made a few different reservations at Hampton inns. I had up to 6pm to cancel them. that way I knew I had a room some where on my way to stay at if I see the weather getting bad.
good luck and be safe.:thumbsup2

We're also driving down this Friday from MA. We're planning on leaving mid-afternoon and probably taking I-95 down. Hopefully the mess down south will be clear by Saturday when we get to that stretch of I-95. I'm not too worried about the snow storm tomorrow - should be plowed by the time we leave on Friday.

I just did the drive from PA last week taking 81 down and 95 back.

Considering the weather I would not be going anywhere near 81 anytime soon. 95 is a piece of cake as long as you are driving overnight as that takes the PHL, BAL and DC traffic out the picture. Went through DC this past Sunday at around 2am and had all four lanes to myself.

FL to Bethlehem in 16 hours and 19 minutes with an hour dinner stop in SC mixed in as well.

Sure 95 is a pain with the tolls but at least it will be plowed and cleared and as long as you drive over night the traffic angle will be a piece of cake.

We, too are driving down from Ny. We are leaving around midnight this Sunday morning. Hubby and I are somewhat concerned about the power outages in the south. Gas??

We always take 81-66-17-95 as well. It's always worked for us.

We drove back from disney during the Hercules snowstorm. Hit snow in Virginia and all the way home. The worst state by far was Pennsylvania. 81 was not even plowed. But we made it home to syracuse!

More snow headed Friday too, stay out of 81 area! The mountains are no place to be.
Stick to the I 95, try to avoid the DC traffic and Richmond. Just be patient, have full tank, snacks, and safe travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter