Driving Around the World v Buses

This trip we decided to do both for our day at MK. We'll drive to our 8:05am ADR (park opens at 9am) so we can ride the ferry. I love the view of the castle from the ferry. Perfect start of a MK day! And since we'll be at the parking lot at 7am we'll be parked in the front rows so no tram required. For our late afternoon break at the resort we'll take the bus back to AoA. Then we'll leave MK after Wishes with our car.

For me, driving would make it less of a vacation. So I'm strictly a bus/boat/monorail girl. If I have to get somewhere quickly, I use a cab.

Last time we drove everywhere but mk. It was much quicker and more convenient than busses, but we travel in summer when it is hot and crowded.

For those of you who drive, can you try to describe how much time you save? We drive to DTD and the water parks, and I've contemplated driving to EP/HS/AK, but never have. I've always figured that, by the time you walk from your room to your car, drive to the park, and walk from your car to the entrance, you really wouldn't be saving all that much time vs. waiting a few minutes for the bus right outside the hotel and then being dropped right outside the gate. Anyone care to share your thoughts/experiences? Can you make any comparisons to convince me?

It's been so long since we used the bus exclusively, but I remember th last straw was

It's been so long since we used the bus exclusively, but I remember th last straw was
...hitting the send button before finish typing....

The last straw was taking the bus from AKL to MK and it too us over an hour from bus stop to park gate. That was the time we vowed to never take the buses again unless we had to.

I like driving to MK any way because I really like the experience of the TTC and the monorail or ferry. I know it takes extra long, but I enjoy that part as much as a ride. We even used to wait longer for the front of the monorail.

We even tested it a couple times our last trip and split up leaving the park to fund out the time difference. The bus rider on 3 different times got back to the hotel an average of 25 minutes later than the driver. Wouldn't try it in the morning because that's 25 minutes of park time you lose.

We have only driven a couple of times. We usually fly and use busses mostly. When we drove we realized how much time was saved at 2 parks in particular. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. The parking lot is right there. Just as close as the bus stops. It really is much faster than waiting for a bus and hoping you will get on it and it not fill up or it be jammed pack. The longest wait we have ever had was at DHS for a bus. Granted getting there was easy but it was the getting back part that took forever!

Epcot is still a time saver with driving but the parking does seem to be a wee bit further away and proved a toss up. We always used a bus to MK as the busses always won in that scenario.

THe walk to the parking lot and the bus stop is usually pretty= at the hotel and often times closer as a PP pointed out. So t that is another time saver. Really with a bus you are waiting on an unknown variable. With your car you kind of know exactly how long it will take you.

To us what I highlighted sums it up. When I drive I know how long it takes to get to each park. I know what time we have to leave. You just never know about the busses. If you want to be there for rope drop and be there by a certain time or trying to be there for an ADR, then IMO you're going to be better off driving.

To us what I highlighted sums it up. When I drive I know how long it takes to get to each park. I know what time we have to leave. You just never know about the busses. If you want to be there for rope drop and be there by a certain time or trying to be there for an ADR, then IMO you're going to be better off driving.

Just don't get so caught up in thinking you know how long the drive will take, that you end up late for something. I've seen quite a few traffic back ups on the roads are WDW. The last one being a car that stalled out right at the gates to go into the TTC. Traffic was backed up for quite a bit.

Tonight is my last night :( of my first trip where I rented a car versus using Disney transport. It has been so much better than previous trips. Last I left DHS right after the fireworks and pushed my way through the mile long line to Pop century. So glad. I would have had to wait for 3+ buses only to stand all the way

We used the buses our first two trips and drove the most recent one.
We will certainly use the car again next time, we have 3 kids now it just makes things easier. Esp for heading off site (shopping and other parks) or to anywhere inside wdw that isn't resort to park or park to park (even dtd) like mini putt.

We drive down, and since we've stayed moderate these last few trips, we tend to drive everywhere (after a first day of taking the bus for the unintended reminder that we don't like the buses).

However.....that seems to be different if we stay in a deluxe level resort. I don't know if it's the mentality of walking through the resort and then to the, potentially, far-away parking lot, or what (even though the bus-stop at these can be relatively close to the parking lots, sometimes....it's all psychological, really).

It doesn't seem to bother us in the moderates, as the car is usually right outside or near our actual building and seems less problematic (as in the car is oftentimes closer to our room than the bus-stop).

isabellea said:
This trip we decided to do both for our day at MK. We'll drive to our 8:05am ADR (park opens at 9am) so we can ride the ferry. I love the view of the castle from the ferry. Perfect start of a MK day! And since we'll be at the parking lot at 7am we'll be parked in the front rows so no tram required. For our late afternoon break at the resort we'll take the bus back to AoA. Then we'll leave MK after Wishes with our car.

I'm not 100% sure on this but you might want to ask on the transportation board what time the ferry starts running from TTC. I have an 8:15 ADR (9 open) and was told if I drove to TTC, I'd have to take the resort monorail.b/c the express monorail and ferry don't start that early.

I love having my car there and wouldn't do it any other way. We are a family of three and enjoy the monorail and ferries to the magic kingdom so it doesn't bother us to park there like it does some. We always have the option of going offsite to sea world, universal, shopping ect. If we are at a Disney park and someone in our party needs a break they can use our car and get right back to the resort and whoever is left behind has the Disney transportation as a backup. I've always found it the fastest and most reliable.

Next week will be my first trip where I will have my car since I am driving from Atlanta. I've been thinking about the buses a lot. I will probably use my car for the morning park and then when I go to the afternoon park, after a break at the hotel, I'll use the bus. Most likely because I'll be extremely tired at night and won't want the hassle of driving back to the hotel while sleepy.

I am going to do part of the 24 hour event and at 3-4 am, I am going to want the bus!!!

We drive from home and drive to the parks as well. I like being able to have a seat, adjust the air, ride with the sunroof open and the windows down and enjoy either silence or the music of my choice with no screaming kids or mad parents. Oh yeah, only smelling our funk is a plus also:rotfl2:

I do take the bus to DTD and EPCOT when I plan on partaking in the above 21 beverages:thumbsup2

We always prefer driving, unless we are going to the MK or drinking around the world!

I prefer renting a car. I couldn't stand taking the bus when we stayed at a value. We were at AS Movies and most mornings, by the time the bus showed up to pick us up, it was already crowded. I'll give up my seat to the elderly, young kids and parents with babies.. so half the time I was without a place to sit. The rides back to the hotel weren't much better (sometimes worse, especially coming from DTD). Our last trip we rented a car and it was so much more enjoyable. No waiting and always a place to sit. We stayed at Saratoga and did take the bus to MK once. It wasn't nearly as bad as the AS buses but I still preferred the car. I don't mind monorail or boat transpiration and would take those over a car.

I like the freedom that comes with bus transportation. My husband and I can split up and meet back at the hotel depending on which child wants to be where.

But you can still do that anyway, right? I mean, once I went to Epcot early using our rental car, and my husband, who was feeling unwell, met me there later after taking the bus in. That's flexibility!

I hate waiting. I feel like I'm wasting time. I only take the bus if I'm forced to. Like others, though, I feel the boats and monorail are different. Those are rides!

We have always driven, but usually wind up taking disney transportation at some point in the trip. There is value in both. Having been on vacations where we haven't needed or had a car for the last five years (cruises and/or foreign countries), I now look forward to a week of no car. No hassle with directions. No hassle with car seats (ours weigh 35+ lbs). No extra expense. Plus our DS is OBSESSED with buses. He's going to think riding one is a thrill ride in itself. Oh the joys of being 2 and overjoyed by the simple things in life!

We're staying in POR during FD. Our buses to and from the resort should be empty, since everyone else jumped ship, right? A girl certainly can dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter