Driving annoyances

I will assume your car has a steering wheel. Go around someone if they are driving too slow for your taste. You, too, have the option of switching lanes. No one on the road is obligated to drive any faster than the posted speed limit. In case you forgot, it is illegal. As is tailgating.

Tailgating and light flashing are dangerous, not only to you and the other driver, but to everyone else on the road when you cause a pile-up because you are following too close because you are angry that someone is doing the speed limit.

The left hand lane is for passing, you need to get out of it unless your are passing someone. I repeat, the left hand lane IS for going around someone, it isn't yours to do with as you please

The left hand lane is for passing, you need to get out of it unless your are passing someone. I repeat, the left hand lane IS for going around someone, it isn't yours to do with as you please

Here on Long Island we have too much traffic to dedicate one lane for passing only.

The left lane is used like any other lane.

It is common sense that slower traffic stays to the right and faster to the left.

If someone is driving 70 in a 55 in the left lane and someone approaches them from the rear, they may move over or they may not. Flashing them would be obnoxious. If they want to go faster than they guy in front of them, then the car goes around them on the right.

I haven't seen it work better. I've seen it create bottlenecks and longer lines.

What ends up happening is people cram their cars into the lane that merges then they turn their signals on. It's annoying for the people that are in the right lane and have been waiting to see car after car after car hop in the lane to merge to get in front of everyone that has been waiting.

It works better if that's the custom in the area. There is no right lane or wrong lane - both lanes are used and the traffic merges at the end in a zipper-like pattern. That being said, if the custom is to merge in immediately, then using both lanes makes one an inconsiderate jerk. It's easy to see what the custom is when you approach an area. If everyone is crammed into one lane, then the open lane is not your own private lane.

In my area, we merge in immediately. Even though I know it would be more efficient to use both lanes, I don't.

I love it when I'm in the left lane in a long line of cars going around a fairly long line or cars and trucks on the right, i'm not the one going slow and some idiot decides to flash their lights and tailgate. Patience Grasshopper Patience. Wait until traffic in front of me clears and there is a space to pull into and then, I'll let you by to tailgate the next guy in line. Meanwhile stop bump drafting. You aren't nearly as skilled as Dale Earnhardt. This isn't Talladega. And I don't want to be in the Big one.

I also love it when were in the mountains and some idiot decides to pass that struggling truck going 25 mph up the hill in another struggling truck going 25.000001 mph. I and the 70 other vehicles now stacked up behind you thank you for that. Oh and wouldn't you know it, here comes Mr. Flashy lights with Mrs Horn layer right in tow. Now my day is complete. Hey. When these 50 cars and trucks clear out in front of me, I might think about pulling over for you. Meanwhile, you can slow to 25.000001 with the rest of us and get off my bumper.

Oh and I just love it when I'm pulling on an on ramp and here comes Mr. you're not pulling out in front of me despite there being plenty of room to do so. And sure enough Varoooom, here the idiot comes hammer down trying to close that gap so I can't get in. Never mind the he's on my 7 until the last minute and I can't devote my entire time to turning around and staring at him what with having to look forward and avoid the guard rail or traffic in front of me, or the ditch and he can see me the whole time and had an empty lane beside him if he wanted. He just has to be first because HE has right of way. And sure enough when he couldn't get there, and there was still actually plenty of room despite the fact he sped up, he has to continue to accelerate behind me so as to get on my bumper and lay on the horn half a mile down the road because he had a divine right to be in front of me.

Oh and Mrs. Pass you at the last minute and then cut you off and slow down just to exit really thrills me. Like you couldn't just slow down in the first place?

Oh and my favorite people.
Mr. and Mrs. my phone call is more important than worrying about oncoming traffic and Mr. and Mrs. your life isn't worth cab fare to me so I'm hopping in the car drunk or stoned.

Here on Long Island we have too much traffic to dedicate one lane for passing only.

The left lane is used like any other lane.

It is common sense that slower traffic stays to the right and faster to the left.

If someone is driving 70 in a 55 in the left lane and someone approaches them from the rear, they may move over or they may not. Flashing them would be obnoxious. If they want to go faster than they guy in front of them, then the car goes around them on the right.

Well sure, I mean if both lanes are full then this really doesn't apply. We have those times here as well. I am going on the case where both lanes are open, and the person is in the left hand lane going the exact of under the speed limit and just refuses to get over. I dont flash anyone, but boy I would like to.

It works better if that's the custom in the area. There is no right lane or wrong lane - both lanes are used and the traffic merges at the end in a zipper-like pattern. That being said, if the custom is to merge in immediately, then using both lanes makes one an inconsiderate jerk. It's easy to see what the custom is when you approach an area. If everyone is crammed into one lane, then the open lane is not your own private lane.

In my area, we merge in immediately. Even though I know it would be more efficient to use both lanes, I don't.

I don't know. I should qualify that I *have* seen it work but it has been a very rare occurrence in my experience. Usually the every other car thing works when there aren't a gazillion cars zipping and racing to be first.

It may be a custom thing. Although I've seen crammed traffic in the merge lanes with signals on all over, especially on the interstate on vacation travel. Not sure it's a custom thing or the collision of different customs. You never know.

I always thought the merge lane was to give people enough time to get over not to rush to the front. It's a warning of what is to come. So following the direction of merging as soon as possible to the designated lane, would make it the "right" lane. It looks like that is up to interpretation. To each their own.

I think it's more an expectation thing.

ETA: Additionally, I think it's fine to let a people in. We do it. It's when they keep coming and coming and coming and they all expect to be let in. Hey, I'm waiting here too. It's not a situation of "I'd like to get in". It's a situation of "I'd like to get in as far ahead of the line as possible". That is very annoying.

People who think making a legal right turn on red means they can go as soon as they have made a stop. Then pull right out in front of me.

You are 1000 percent incorrect, some jurisdictions consider it a passing lane but many more consider it a regular traffic lane. I rpeat it is not a passing lane in many places.

People who sit at a 4 way stop light with their blinker on (in the right lane) indicating they are turning right, and DON'T GO UNTIL THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN, even with no traffic from the left for miles. :furious: :drive:

Ahh, that's probably my biggest annoyance, too!

I live in NYC and rights on red are illegal unless there's a sign saying it's ok. so I am not at all used to doing it and have caught myself waiting when I don't have to.

Here in Los Angeles/SoCal in general they are legal unless posted otherwise. Now I'm wondering in what other major cities it's more common to be illegal, as L.A. has a lot of transplants.

Reading all this talk of passing lanes and flash to pass had my head spinning, there is definitely no such thing here in my neck of the woods, LOL! Our freeways are 'numbered' 1, 2, 3, etc from left to right and the #1 lane is the fast lane, not a passing lane, just a regular lane. Passing isn't even very regulated, passing on the left is fine on a wide enough freeway.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Pretty much all of the above.

Plus, I hate it when people stop in traffic because they missed a turn or exit, decide they will stay in the wrong lane on purpose so they can pass a bunch of cars but block the people who are in the correct lane or the drivers who use the shoulder to go around traffic because being ahead one car will make the difference.

And people who don't know what to do at four way stops.
Ugh. I absolutely hate this. Poor planning on your part doesn't give you the right to hold up everyone behind you. Just stay in the turn lane and make the block. Or, if you are wanting to turn and are in a straight lane, go straight and turn later. I assure you that there is more than one way to get somewhere. Missing one turn isn't going to make it so you have to drive clear around the globe before reaching your destination.

I don't remember ever seeing anyone doing the "flash to pass" thing or whatever it is. Around here, if it is a two lane highway, most of the time, drivers are courteous enough to pull off to the shoulder and let someone pass. If it is a four or more lane road, well, there is the far left lane that is for passing. On the highway, I most often see people using the right lane for cruising and the left lane for passing. If I'm behind a car going slower and I move to the left to pass and find myself behind someone going slower than me, but faster than the car next to me, I calmly slow down to the speed of the car in front of me and wait for him or her to switch lanes after passing. If he or she ends up not switching lanes, I will just switch over to the right and end up passing them in the right lane. Sure, the right lane is for cruising, but that doesn't mean you have to slow down to slower than the cars in the left lane if they are not properly utilizing the lanes. Freeways and such that have 3, 4, and 5 lanes in the same direction are sort of a free for all with a basic understanding that the farther left you are, the faster the general speed.

I also really hate it when a person is wanting to turn left out of a shopping center or something, but the street is just too busy so they pull into the turn lane and just sit there waiting to merge. It never fails that a person will do this and block where I am wanting to turn in. This means I get to sit behind them and wait while they try to merge over. Our community and even our LEOs have had debates over whether or not this is illegal. Personally, I just find it to be a pet peeve and don't really care about the legality of it.

I also really hate it when a person is wanting to turn left out of a shopping center or something, but the street is just too busy so they pull into the turn lane and just sit there waiting to merge. It never fails that a person will do this and block where I am wanting to turn in. This means I get to sit behind them and wait while they try to merge over. Our community and even our LEOs have had debates over whether or not this is illegal. Personally, I just find it to be a pet peeve and don't really care about the legality of it.

I admit I have been guilty of this from time to time and generally it doesn't bother me when others do it. However, the other day I saw someone do it but rather than just sitting there until there was space for them to merge into traffic they continued to drive along the turn lane, fast enough to keep pace with me. There wasn't really room in front of me but scads of room behind me. I really don't know why they insisted on driving down the turn lane when all they had to do was pause for a second and they could have easily gotten in behind me.

I admit I have been guilty of this from time to time and generally it doesn't bother me when others do it. However, the other day I saw someone do it but rather than just sitting there until there was space for them to merge into traffic they continued to drive along the turn lane, fast enough to keep pace with me. There wasn't really room in front of me but scads of room behind me. I really don't know why they insisted on driving down the turn lane when all they had to do was pause for a second and they could have easily gotten in behind me.

I personally don't like it because, as I stated, I seem to get behind these people who are blocking the entrance where I am hoping to turn in. Also, I see someone pulling out when I'm driving along and I don't know if they see me and are going to pull into the turn lane, or if they don't see me and are just going to turn right into me.

I can't stand the people who, as soon as the light turns green for both sides of the intersection, make their left in front of the traffic going straight that has the right of way. I realize that intersections where there is no turn arrow can be frustrating, but it doesn't mean that drivers should ignore right-of-way rules.

Op here, lol that video is of course not me!!!

For me, the driving I'm talking about is on the nys thruway, where the left is a designated passing lane. I drive on it fairly often. I don't flash after like 15 seconds lol, it's more like 30 seconds :p kidding!! I flash when I got someone else behind me waiting for pokey to make a move.

I think though, in general, the left lane is a "faster driving lane" and all I'm saying is that it bugs me when someone holds up that lane instead of moving over to let traffic pass.

Not always! If you are sitting in the passing lane then how am I supposed to go around you? You are in the passing lane ! you aren't supposed to pass on the right.

You still haven't answered why do you have to sit in the passing lane if you aren't passing?

Not passing on the right refers to passing on the shoulder, not the driving lane.

Not passing on the right refers to passing on the shoulder, not the driving lane.

No a lot of states have laws regarding only being allowed to pass on the right under certain circumstances and a rude person riding in the passing lane is not one of them. I was not referring to the shoulder which I believe is illegal everywhere.

Actually, most states have some sort of "keep right" law -

Some sort of keep right law is not the same thing as making the left lane for passing only. My state is one of them. We're a keep right except to pass state, but it is not practical to enforce in heavy traffic and even in rural areas where they can enforce it, you're not going to get a ticket unless you are well under the limit and impeding a lot of traffic. And it is very rare here for left lane drivers to be under the limit. Most of the time it's someone going 5 over the limit in the way of someone that wants to go 20 over. They simply aren't going to ticket someone for that.

If I'm already exceeding the speed limit and you come up behind me flashing your lights at me to move because you are speeding even more than me, I'm going to think you are an obnoxious, self-entitled jerk.

I had some idiot doing that to me one night and there was a car in front of me and traffic in the right lane already. No idea where he thought I was supposed to go. I assumed he was drunk or high. When I was finally able to move over and get away from him, I was delighted to see him remain stuck behind the car that was ahead of me to begin with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter