1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Driving am I nuts?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Welcome to the DIS' started by Elizabeth102003, Apr 29, 2013.

1. emilyltd

emilyltd Earning My Ears

We're driving 19 + hours, too. My DS is going to help drive, too. I think we're crazy not to fly, but everyone else thinks it'll be an adventure.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DisneyCrazy1981

DisneyCrazy1981 Earning My Ears

Some of my best memories as a kid are my family's road trips from WI (near Madison) to Disney World. My parents would always pack us a "surprise bag" to keep us busy in the car and we wouldn't know what was inside until the crack of dawn as we loaded ourselves into the car. We would always stop in TN or GA and stay overnight.

When I was a teenager I went with school and we went straight through on a school bus. . .was still fun! My senior year, my friends and I took turns driving straight through- yup- still a fun time!!

The only bad parts are the days you need to add to the vacation for driving which is the reason I don't drive now with my DH and DS. As much as I HATE flying, I would rather be in FL and enjoying Disney in 2 hours than 2 days. Also, I'm not a big fan of driving the mountains (the emergency truck lanes filled with sand to stop them scare me) and can't stand driving through Atlanta. Oh- and IL and IN are loooooong states to drive through.

I would say go for it! There is nothing like leaving the snow and ice of WI and reaching that invisible line where you stand outside at the rest stop and realize it's time to put on your shorts and tshirts. There is also nothing like the tacky souvenir shops and Waffle Houses along the way. The mountains are beautiful and it's a great way to see the US!

4. hymanptm

hymanptm Earning My Ears

We leave this Sunday morning hopefully around 6.. Am :cool1:with dw pixiedust:and dd :rotfl: hope to be Disney by 2.30 pm taking 95 hope the Gil's slept most of morning so we can keep on trucking down the Road got get cd ready for Some good rock and Roll :drive: .rey to have Blast at Disney !!!

5. jpfiff

jpfiff Earning My Ears

We drive from boston every year...alternating Disney and West Coast Port charlotte area.

20 hrs drive time to Orlando takes 22 hrs with 4 children ages 2,5,9,10 on our last trip. Port Charloltte is approx. another 2.5-3hrs drive time.

We take a minivan, fit everything in the back, 1 big stroller and 1 umbrella stroller and pack in duffles to safe space for packing into the van. We have cooler with drinks, etc behind the passenger seat and a snack bag. Each kid has there own bag of things to do (crayons, paper, books, puzzle books), ipad/itouch/kids players and each has a dvd player in front of them.

We leave late afternoon, stopping only for bathroom breaks/diaper changes and make our longest stop for breakfast in morning around 7 or 8am which ususally takes about an hour.

We don't stop for anything except gas or emergency potty break if a baby is sleeping!

fun? no. Worth it vs the cost of 6 airline tickets? yes!

6. dgagnon519

dgagnon519 DVC member AKL since 2008

We flew our first trip to Disney and then drove the next 3. This year we are flying. We drive from RI so it is about 20 hours, but with stops it is about 22.

The first time I drove it was just me and my 2 kids who were 8 and 5. I stopped twice on the way down. We spent one night and Virginia and one night in Georgia. It was very nice. Driving home, we only made on overnight stop and it was in North Carolina. I am not sure why I didn't just fly, but I am thinking at the time I thought a road trip would be fun and it was.

The next two times we drove it was for financial reasons. There was 7 of us going, which at the time was going to cost us about $2000 for airfare and it cost me $600 to drive round trip. We drove straight through without overnight stops both times. It was fun and worth the savings.

This trip we are flying. There are 12 of us going, three families. We are all coming at different times. If we drove it would have cost about $1800. Flying is costing 1932 so it made more sense to fly.

7. LeahA

LeahA DIS Veteran

We drive from Illinois every time we go! It is a long drive but we are used to is by now. We used to stop in Dalton, GA. at a Hampton Inn, very clean and nice. Dalton is right over the border between Tennessee and Georgia. We now even go further driving almost 15 hours the first day! We have stopped in Tifton or Valdosta the last several trips.
    We stop every 3 hours or so for a break, the boys watch movies, play with IPOD touches or IPhones, when they were smaller their DS's. They nap, I bring a bag of snacks and drinks for the car. Some of the rest areas are nice to stop for a picnic and some have playground equipment.

If I want to go to Disney every year, we have to drive!

8. SA mom

SA mom DIS Veteran

We drive from San Antonio, Texas, and it is about a 20 hour drive. Neither of us likes to drive at night so we spend the night somewhere after about 15 hours of driving.

Our kids are great road trippers. When they were little, I used to take some of their favorite toys out of rotation about 2 months prior to the trip. Then I'd wrap the toys up in tissue paper. Every half hour, I'd give them a little present.

We try to encourage reading books, drawing pictures, and playing games versus using electronic devices on the way to our destination. On the way back, we break out every gadget we have.

Have a safe trip!

9. tryplm

tryplm Mouseketeer

:welcome:

We've driven from Cleveland twice, which is about a 18-19 hour drive without stops. Did I mention that we did it in a Kia Soul on the last trip?:crowded: I agree with a PP poster about taking time to see the sights along the way. There's so much out there that you would otherwise never get the chance to see of you didn't drive. DH & I are flying for this trip, but that's only because we were able to find airfare for $350 round trip total. As for the being crazy part, you'll notice that most of us are!! :crazy: