Driving all night

Chaoster

Mouseketeer
Driving from NY to WDW at night. Leaving about 9pm. Any tips from those that have driven all night? Does it help to take a nap before leaving? TIA.

In the past when My family would drive to WDW on our 1st day of driving we would leave our house around 4:00 PM and drove all day/night to Dalton, Georgia and got there around 11:00 AM the next day. As for any advice I would say take a nap before you leave and if you need to stop a long way.

We have done an all night-er only once and that was it. By the time we got to WDW in the morning, we were all too exhausted to go to any of the parks that day. Since then, we have always spent a night somewhere between South Carolina and Georgia. We usually leave home around 3 am(beating most traffic near DC area) That takes us into SC/GA area ~6pm. After a good night of rest, we would head off to WDW ~5 am; arriving WDW about 9 am FRESH and WELL RESTED for a full day in the park. That is just how we do it for the last decade. We never like to drive from day into the night. We rather drive a bit earlier, but as soon as the sun comes up, you will feel less tired. JMO No matter how and when you choose to drive, just drive safe and have fun once you're there.

DH works the night shift (5PM to 5AM) 7 nights a month, so we treat the nighttime driving like we do when he's on night shift. He sleeps for a good 5 hours before we go and he can drive until the sun comes up without so much as a yawn.

I sleep all night in the truck and take over the driving in the AM. It works out perfect since I am not one to be up all night, and he'd much rather drive at night with much less traffic.

We are 22-23 hours from WDW and usually stop at JAX (about 18-19 hours from home) for the night, wake well rested and arrive at WDW after about a quick 3 hour drive.

My parents usually drive from Upstate NY to Florence, SC about 16 hours or so and stop for the night. Florence is right on I-95 and usually easy to find a hotel.

Driving from NY to WDW at night. Leaving about 9pm. Any tips from those that have driven all night? Does it help to take a nap before leaving? TIA.

When I do an all night drive, I take a nap of at least 2, and up to 6, hours before leaving. I usually use the drive as an opportunity to try out a new book on tape, since the radio stations go in and out of range so often as we drive.

We've made the over night trip a few times and we always drove when I went with my parents years ago. I would try to nap for a couple of hours if you can, but you know yourself---napping makes me kinda groggy:confused3

The time of the day that is the hardest is when the sun just starts to come up...we usually make a stop for an early breakfast about then. If you do get too tired along the way---STOP---it's not worth your or those around you's safety to try to keep going! Good luck:thumbsup2

We drove once (!) to WDW...over 21 hours when DS and DD were small. Do not underestimate the "jet lag" you and your family will have no matter how many naps you take or how many stops you make. Take the first day at the resort to rest and re-energize before tackling your agenda day 2. We timed it to arrive at the resort when we can get into the room (vastly different than check-in time, so do your homework). We unpacked, showered, then drew the curtains and put out the do not disturb sign to settle in for a sleep no matter how long. Once we woke, we explored the resort, ate there, then scheduled time for Downtown Disney as that did not require a park ticket and it's a fun place to shop around and get acquainted with Disney. We stayed flexible to when everyone started tiring again and hit our beds for a good night sleep. Day 2 we were ready to go and REALLY enjoy WDW. You certainly don't want to overplan day 1 and have everyone basically comatose from no (quality) sleep. :cool1:

My DH and I have done the drive to Disney both ways, driving straight through and stopping overnight. Personally, I like the driving straight through.

Our trip takes approximately 19-21 hours depending on the kids. The best trip (read: most calm, peaceful) was leaving at 8 pm. We drove all night with one stop for gas (which the kids were woke up to go to the bathroom).

We stopped for a 30 minute breakfast at McDonald's. Gassed up and then we were off again. To give the kids some time to stretch their legs and run around we stopped for about 90 minutes for lunch. This gave them some very much needed running around time.

After that we were back on the road and ended up at Disney about 3-4 pm. We checked in, went to our rooms, showered and relaxed for a bit. We then went to Downtown Disney to unwind and get our excitement levels up for the next day.

This ended up working out great and the next time we drive (we usually fly) we will do this. I hope this helps. :dance3:

We have driven right thru, many times from SNJ. We have left at 7pm, 10pm, midnight, and at 3 am. Since it takes us around 16 hours, we much perfer leaving at 10pm. This gets us to our home at 2 pm, so we can un pack, and go food shopping etc. Then just relax the rest of the evening.
My DW and I share the driving, switching every 3-4 hours, so we can each take cat naps. The kids usually sleep through the night.
After 10 years of 2 to 3 trips a year, it works great for us.

The key to it is to be well rested before you leave with at least a nap and having a relief driver is great to have. We usually drive at night when we go and swap driving in the wee hours of the morning (2am-3am). Good music, book on tape, listen to a movie playing on the tv's in back helps also. Oh and dont forget caffine:scared1: . Make sure to plan out some breaks along the way to stretch and get some fresh air. We wouldnt do it any other way.

This is an old thread but I wanted to add my comments. I've done the drive along the I-5 from Canada. I tried everything to stay away. I can remember drinking lots of energy drinks, coffee, and taking caffeine pills. Listening to loud music and even slappng myself in the face!!!!:scared1:

You'll still get drowsy and tired. I am pretty sure I actually fell asleep at the wheel for a few seconds. Very dangerous. My tip. SLEEP when you need to. I had my sleeping bag with me, and whipped it out for a quick 30 to 40 min nap when needed.

We were 4 adults and one infant and now after the trip, was excited beforehand, that it isn't like it was back when our children we small (70's and 80's). We left Hilliard Ohio at 7 pm since the baby sleeps good in a car and sleeps all night ( to our blessing) and it was a 16 hour trek but for a child now-a-days to be strapped in a child seat the whole way, and the adults being confined to their space.....rough trip. Coming home we left WDW at 7am and again, occupying an infant being strapped in a child seat during their wake up hours, long and miserable for all involved. We got back to Ohio at midnight and it was trying. Guess I'm saying, if you have the time, stop over night and let everyone recupe for the next leg of the trip. A trip of all adults is very doable but when youngsters are involved, and in those car seats, a long trip can be trying and hard on them no matter what you bring along. Either way, take necessary breaks, switch drivers when needed and remember, it's very easy to push anyones limit and doxe off. There seems to be too many deaths and accidents in Florida on the I95 and I4 routes in the am from over tired travelers..really spoils a trip.

We were 4 adults and one infant and now after the trip, was excited beforehand, that it isn't like it was back when our children we small (70's and 80's). We left Hilliard Ohio at 7 pm since the baby sleeps good in a car and sleeps all night ( to our blessing) and it was a 16 hour trek but for a child now-a-days to be strapped in a child seat the whole way, and the adults being confined to their space.....rough trip. Coming home we left WDW at 7am and again, occupying an infant being strapped in a child seat during their wake up hours, long and miserable for all involved. We got back to Ohio at midnight and it was trying. Guess I'm saying, if you have the time, stop over night and let everyone recupe for the next leg of the trip. A trip of all adults is very doable but when youngsters are involved, and in those car seats, a long trip can be trying and hard on them no matter what you bring along. Either way, take necessary breaks, switch drivers when needed and remember, it's very easy to push anyones limit and doxe off. There seems to be too many deaths and accidents in Florida on the I95 and I4 routes in the am from over tired travelers..really spoils a trip.

Which interstates did you use?

Whic interstates did you use?

Out of Hilliard Ohio: 270 to RTE 30. Rte 30 to I77. I77 to Rte 26 then Rte.26 to I95. Depending on when you arrive in Florida, I4 to WDW or straight down I95 to Bee-Line expressway (toll road) to avoid the I4 traffic.

I can understand wanting to drive at night especially considering how bad traffic in the northeast is becoming. Plus, overall, the driving is just easier. We’ve done the all-nighter many times with me being the only driver. Some important points to consider. Safety is foremost – both for you and your family and others on the road. You must promise yourself that if you get drowsy, you’ll pull off and rest. I always take a nap before doing this drive. I shoot for 6 hours. The next thing is that in the middle of the night you will always be able to find a gas station open along Rt. 95 (some are only open for credit card purchases – no people there) but the same is not true for bathroom breaks. We always stop at the welcome centers at the beginning of each new state to “take care of business”. Someone else mentioned jet-lag – I guess that’s what it’s called. The point is don’t plan on doing too much on arrival day because you will be physically exhausted from the drive.

I am a school bus driver and our company gives us great tips to keep from getting tired behind the wheel. Never eat a big meal on the road...it can make you feel drowsy. If you start to fade...chew peppermint gum. Something about peppermint is energizing!

We tried an overnight drive once and it was a mess. My husband and I were both so tired and our kids just wanted to lay down. They were so uncomfortable in their car seats. I don't think we'd try an overnight drive again.

I agree with the statement about the jet lag from the all-nighter. It takes too long to recover.

We find that any more than 10 hours a day is too much. Split your trip in half. You'll be glad you did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter