Drivers -- how fast are you willing to risk?

Where do YOU set YOUR cruise speed?

• More than 5 miles per hour [b]under[/b] the speed limit

• 5 miles per hour or less [b]under[/b] the speed limit

• Speed limit

• 0 - 5 miles [b]over[/b] the speed limit

• 6 - 10 miles [b]over[/b] the speed limit

• 11-15 miles [b]over[/b] the speed limit

• I plead the Fifth Amendment

Results are only viewable after voting.

larryz

Rogue Five
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Another thread got me started thinking about this...

So I wonder how close to the speed limit YOU feel you can go without compromising safety and/or your wallet... After all, you want to get to WDW alive, and with enough money to buy those Mickey Ice Cream Bars!!!

If I don't hit your speed range in the poll, please feel free to spell it out in the posts (but be sure the statute of limitations has run out, or that you're not personally identifiable)...

Assume, also, for the purposes of this exercise, that you're just a couple of hours from WDW and you're trying to make it to your 1 PM ADR at HBD.

I chose the 0-5 miles over the speed limit, however I do not use cruise control....ever. I think most people that use cruise control, will do unsafe things to avoid having to hit the brakes and turn off the cruise. :confused3

My DH on the other hand loves the cruise control.

ETA: My dh wants me to inform everyone that he does most of the driving when we are going somewhere as a family.

I usually try to keep my speed from 5-9 miles over the speed limit. Every ticket I have ever received has been for going 11 miles over the limit, so now I try to never go more than 9 miles over. I can't believe the number of cars that fly around me like I am standing still or tailgate me even when I am going 9 over the limit.

Having been hit with a credit card charge when we returned from last summer's trip for supposedly running a red light I went for the speed limit :)

I always set it for 7 miles over.

However if I'm in heavy fast moving traffic like around Chicago or Philly at rush hour I may go faster so I stay with the flow but I wouldn't be using the cruise then.

I love cruise and wish more people would use it.

In Maryland the unofficial speed limit is 10 miles over the posted limit. Almost everyone is doing about 10 miles over the limit on our highways. But on the other hand Maryland speed limits seem to be lower than most other states.

When I drive out of state I keep the 10-15 miles over the limit that I'm used to in Maryland.

I selected up to 5 miles under. I usually set my cruise a little under so if I'm going downhill, as it picks up the 2-3 extra MPH I'm just about spot on.

I have set it lower than that though, depending on conditions (and the price of fuel - if you slow down you not only save $$ on tickets, but $$ on gasoline :thumbsup2). And yes, I do stay in the right hand lane where I belong, lol :).

I can't imagine what unsafe things a person might do while using cruise control to avoid hitting the brakes. It's not that big a deal to reset it if you do have to hit the brakes and if you see you are gaining on the car in front, you just pull out to pass them before you reach them (you can accelerate if necessary, and the speed will drop back to the set speed after you're done). I use my cruise whenever possible so I can give more of my attention to the other drivers and the road conditions.

I don't use cruise control, but I usually drive 10 miles over the posted limit on the interstate, 5 in the city. I try to stay out of the far left lane so I don't draw attention to myself and I follow all other rules like leaving a safe distance between me and the driver in front of me and signalling well before I make a lane change or take an exit ramp. I actually think those who travel over 5 miles or more UNDER the speed limit cause more accidents than those who drive the speed limit or higher, especially the ones who decide to drive that slow in the fast lane.

I'm usually around 4 to 8 over. Many cars pass but I'm not usually in heavy traffic. If there is a large number of cars going 10-15 over around the loop at home, I'll keep up.

Years ago, the speed using my cruise control would vary at a single setting when going uphill and downhill; the cars I have now (oldest is only 11 years old) maintain a constant speed over fairly good inclines. I hate when I'm going a constant speed and the one car near me on the interstate keeps going slower and faster and we are constantly passing each other; it is worse when we get around other cars and then I can get blocked as the goof is passing me again...

It depends on the road and flow of traffic. My max is 5 mph over for cruise control. I'll occasionally go up to 10 mph if I'm passing or trying to distance myself from an erratic driver. If it's raining more than a light rain, I go 5-10 under the speed limit.

I never really feel quite safe at anything over 70--.

Interesting tho about the "wallet" part of the question. Now gas is $4.00 a gallon and people are complaining by the millions. Yet on all the Interstates I drive (I-83,I-95), folks continue to roar by at 85-90 MPH--wasting the very gas they complain so much about.

I have the "lead foot" between DH and I, and have gotten some speeding tickets over the last few years. We split the driving when we drive from NC to WDW. Here is what we both answered:

Me: 6-10 over the limit.

DH: 15 over the limit.

Go figure?

Normally I'm 5 over, but Chicago is an exception. When you go from the 70 mph limit (where you're normally going 75-80) to the 55 mph limit, there is normally no change in the traffic around you. So now you're doing 25-30 over. I usually get paranoid and start slowing down, but then I get run over, so I just figure since I'm not driving a bumble bee yellow Corvette, I'm safe.

0-5 miles over the speed limit. Having had several friends and coworkers who lost children to stupid, careless driving and DUIs, I make an effort to be a safe driver. Having worked in a major trauma center also influenced my decision.

I don't use cruise control, I like to be in control, not the car,lol. Although for big road trips, maybe I'd try it then.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. You wouldn't know it from some of the drivers in my area though.

A) It's not all about the cruise control -- I drove a '67 VW Beetle for many years, and the only cruise control I had was to jam a brick down and wedge the accelerator wide open. That would get me 65 or 70 mph on a good day. "Setting your cruise" can also be interpreted "how fast do you plan on going."

B) I've been accused of "stirring the pot" with this thread. Negatory, good buddy -- all the theme park strageties in the world don't count if you can't get to the theme park alive and with enough money to enjoy it. And you can't use the ticket you might get from the Florida State Trooper at the MK gate...

C) If anyone else wants to be the King of the Gerds, they're welcome to the title. It's more of an (DIS)honorary position, anyway.

Good answers so far -- thanks for playing -- keep those safety tips rolling in...

Our road trip is 1100 miles to WDW, split over 2 days. We have this down to a science, so speeding is not needed. Traffic on the interstate is usually =+5 mph, and that's where we stay. Our mpg really drops when we speed, so staying with the traffic flow is more relaxing, less dangerous and saves us money. We still get where we want on time per our schedule.

I usually try to keep my speed from 5-9 miles over the speed limit. Every ticket I have ever received has been for going 11 miles over the limit, so now I try to never go more than 9 miles over. I can't believe the number of cars that fly around me like I am standing still or tailgate me even when I am going 9 over the limit.

This exactly. I too have only ever received tickets for going 10+ miles over the limit. Since I started keeping it to 9 over or less, I have been ticket-free, and that has been 12 years.

Safety-wise, I try to keep my speed even with what most others on the road are doing. Usually that's right in the 5-9 over range.

I set it for the speed limit or 1 under. Never had a ticket and never will. Not in a hurry and want to get to my destination alive.

I chose the 0-5 miles over the speed limit, however I do not use cruise control....ever. I think most people that use cruise control, will do unsafe things to avoid having to hit the brakes and turn off the cruise. :confused3

My DH on the other hand loves the cruise control.

ETA: My dh wants me to inform everyone that he does most of the driving when we are going somewhere as a family.

We, too, usually go speed limit to 5 mi. over, but we DO use the cruise control. Have never heard anyone say that about being more unsafe because of not wanting to brake and reset the cruise. That would never have occurred to me. If we're in lots of traffic or passing through cities, congested areas, etc. we just don't use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter