Driven crazy - and not the usual stuff

I don't see the 'wasting time' argument when it comes to lugging a ton of stuff around. We go at rope drop, stay til 11, drive back to the condo for a few hours as a break, go back around 2:30/3, go to dinner around 5/6 and then leave most days. And yet still (thanks to rope drop, fastpass, and child swap) ride all the rides we want to ride multiple times. There's no wasted time there. :D Park smarter, not harder.
I agree. I've done it both ways. Recently we just stayed at the parks and I manned the sleeping baby while others rode or visited attractions. I really enjoyed our midday breaks and plan to go back to them this next trip.By the end of last trip we were getting burned out on the crowds. We stayed at OKW with a lovely pond and golf course view which we didn't enjoy much because we didn't have time. One day, after waiting over an hour to meet Mulan, we bought the girls ice cream and headed back to the resort, the girls had a swim in the pool, napped, and we had a wonderful dinner on the balcony enjoying the view. I must confess it was one of the best days we had. This next trip we are splitting our time between AoA and Bonnet Creek, and I am looking so forward to spending time at the resort.

had an interesting scoooter interaction on 12/18 in MK. Crowd was moderate. A woman on a scooter went crossways on the walkway, eating a sandwich and texting. Was driving with her elbow. People were jumping out of her way to avoid getting hit and she was laughing. Most of the other scooter drivers I saw were very polite and we were respectful as well. Did get a couple of stroller burns on the back of my leg though but again, most were polite. We did see a couple who kept trading rides in the scooter but who knows why...

When DD was little, we always carried extras into the park because like you we didn't want to waste time going back to the resort. However we never carried all that stuff around. Instead we rented a locker and kept all of the "just in case" stuff there. It was so nice not having to lug everything around. You might try that some time and see how liberating in can be to not have that enormous backpack weighing you down.

Thankfully we have a front and back double with 2 of our 3 kids that very rarely need a break in it so the backpack spends most of the time tucked in there

I don't see the 'wasting time' argument when it comes to lugging a ton of stuff around. We go at rope drop, stay til 11, drive back to the condo for a few hours as a break, go back around 2:30/3, go to dinner around 5/6 and then leave most days. And yet still (thanks to rope drop, fastpass, and child swap) ride all the rides we want to ride multiple times. There's no wasted time there. :D Park smarter, not harder.

We come from NZ with an 8 hour time difference, the kids don't wake up until 10-11am. We then hit the parks and close them out. It is what suits our family, it is great you found a touring style that suits you but it doesn't make yours better just different.

I don't care if folks haul a large backpack but I can't imagine wearing one all day like some folks do. I don't like getting hit by them though. It is difficult for a person wearing a backpack to turn in a crowded area without bumping someone with the pack; they really have to be aware of their surroundings and be careful and many are not

I don't think people would care how much people carry in or how big their backpacks were if they weren't getting wacked by them. People forget how much extra space they need before they make a quick turn with their pack on. You may have just been lucky so far but this is a problem everywhere. I've been wacked by backpacks, purses, etc. on my commuter rail for the same reason.

Much like many of the stroller incidents there is a bit of fault with both parties, if you are standing so close to someone that you are getting hit by their backpack you are probably well within their personal bubble. Although not all situations (Hub after Wishes for example) give you much of a choice.

Much like many of the stroller incidents there is a bit of fault with both parties, if you are standing so close to someone that you are getting hit by their backpack you are probably well within their personal bubble. Although not all situations (Hub after Wishes for example) give you much of a choice.

In the parks, I've mostly had the problem in queues that wrap and in stores where space is tight to begin with. On my train, I have to watch people that are getting off if I am sitting in an aisle seat (same on planes). The issue is really that people with these large protrusions on their backs suddenly change direction without realizing they don't have the space because of their packs.

If you're well north of 6' tall and seated for a stage show, be sure to tip your hat as far back so that the bill is as high as possible. Bonus points if you can bob your head back and forth the whole show so the 6 rows of people behind you can do the same.

In the parks, I've mostly had the problem in queues that wrap and in stores where space is tight to begin with. On my train, I have to watch people that are getting off if I am sitting in an aisle seat (same on planes). The issue is really that people with these large protrusions on their backs suddenly change direction without realizing they don't have the space because of their packs.

If you are getting hit in a queue you are standing too close

LOL! Personal bubble in a crowded area? How much space can I claim in the parks? Is this the same bubble that comes into play when a large group of people walk side-by-side all the way across a walkway? I'm told by CM's to take up all available space but they don't mention personal bubbles...

If you are getting hit in a queue you are standing too close

Wrong. I mentioned queues that wrap. You know, the ones that go up one lane then turn back and go back down. You are side by side with people on one and sometimes two sides with the queue lane narrow to boot. Think the queue for Spaceship Earth or the old Akershus. Someone in the adjacent lane turns with a backpack and you get wacked. I wasn't talking about being inches from someone's behind.

That works for YOU. Other people would rather bring a huge backpack and stay at the park all day. That doesn't make them "wrong," any more than you're "right" for doing it your way.

Kids aside, you could have a couple that has sweatshirts, rain gear, snacks, water, who knows what else for two people. That's a full backpack. If they swing and hit you with it, that's not the backpack's fault. It doesn't know, really.

When our kids were young, yes we went back to the resort instead of bringing half our belongings with us. For lots of reasons. Now, we never take a break. Either way, we never had a backpack, but I can see why people would go that route.

LOL! Personal bubble in a crowded area? How much space can I claim in the parks? Is this the same bubble that comes into play when a large group of people walk side-by-side all the way across a walkway? I'm told by CM's to take up all available space but they don't mention personal bubbles...

Cool don't cry when you get whacked by my backpack no matter how crowded really if you are going to choose to be so close to another you can be touched by them moving then don't complain, yes it's crowded but this isn't a mosh pit

What used to drive me crazy was my Dad. He'd stop to read each...and...every...sign..along a route! Maddening! GMR- my end all of patience... Dad would want to read about each costume, prop, poster... I swear if the time posted to ride was 10min we'd take 30. But I also can't stand people that stop to play the interactive stuff and just never seem to want to move on... 7DMT, BTM....:crazy2: and if they've held up the line for awhile you get "the stink eye" if you try to pass...:rolleyes1:furious:

I don't care if folks haul a large backpack but I can't imagine wearing one all day like some folks do. I don't like getting hit by them though. It is difficult for a person wearing a backpack to turn in a crowded area without bumping someone with the pack; they really have to be aware of their surroundings and be careful and many are not.

I've been hit a number of times when seated on a aisle seat when others are still loading on an aircraft. If I have a backpack when loading on an airplane, I take it off before boarding and carry it in front of me because it is difficult to swing it off on-board the plane without hitting someone.

Cool don't cry when you get whacked by my backpack no matter how crowded really if you are going to choose to be so close to another you can be touched by them moving then don't complain, yes it's crowded but this isn't a mosh pit

Why would you not pay attention and why not avoid turning quickly and hitting people? Many times the backpack person in encroaching on my personal bubble; they walk past and turn quickly. Will you be spinning around in the park? Do you think it is okay to bump people with something?

Last edited:
Why would you not pay attention and why not avoid turning quickly and hitting people? Many times the backpack person in encroaching on my personal bubble; they walk past and turn quickly. Will you be spinning around in the park? Do you think it is okay to bump people with something?

I think if someone is choosing to be so close behind me they will be bumped by my moving it is on them

And to clarify I don't actually ever carry out backpack that's DH job, I can't think of a time he has ever knocked someone. I don't think it's the pandemic it's being made out to be

Unless someone is obnoxiously and repeatedly bumping into me with whatever apparatus they are employing, I don't let it bother me too much. When we meet over dinner we share stories on "people behaving badly" with certain criteria and we vote on who has the best story. This is a daily exercise and we enjoy it. I am happy to announce that our last trip we only had around 7 stories between the six of us, so overall, people were minding their Ps and Qs.

edit to add: we (DH and I) won the best overall.

Most larger resorts have a quiet pool for this very reason. The main pool is the more active playful one. The quiet one doesn't allow playing like that...or at least not supposed to ;)

there is no such rule.It is allowed. the "feature" pool is louder because more people use it.. because of the slide and other features and they also have the pool parties. but the term "quiet" pool is a misnomer. the term only means that it will be quieter than the feature pool. not that people have to be quiet, not have fun, and not use water toys.
you put a dad on vacation with his boys,, believe me, they will be playing catch in the pool.

I think if someone is choosing to be so close behind me they will be bumped by my moving it is on them

And to clarify I don't actually ever carry out backpack that's DH job, I can't think of a time he has ever knocked someone. I don't think it's the pandemic it's being made out to be

It's not the person behind that gets hit; it's people on the side of the backpack wearer and sometimes even in front when a backpack is sticking way out and the backpacker turns around. It happens and backpackers should be aware of how far their backpack protrudes. Just like umbrellas, selfie-sticks (banned) and strollers, folks should be careful of what they control outside of their normal standing area.

It's not the person behind that gets hit; it's people on the side of the backpack wearer and sometimes even in front when a backpack is sticking way out and the backpacker turns around. It happens and backpackers should be aware of how far their backpack protrudes. Just like umbrellas, selfie-sticks (banned) and strollers, folks should be careful of what they control outside of their normal standing area.

Again if you are so close to a stranger (barring the hub during wishes) on either side for them to hit you with a backpack that is your own fault. You are right that if you are in front on them and they do a 180 and hit you it is their fault.
As I have pointed out upthread in regards to the strollers any accidents that I have had with ours have been caused by someone deciding to shoot the gap between my stroller and the people in front of us apparently expecting us to stop on a dime not to clip them....as always everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings and show respect for others in the park

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter