• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driveing to San Deigo zoo

seadd67

DIS Veteran
So i wanted to get a real time, drive time from the DL area. We are going to leave very early, basicly getting there at opening. How long should I plan on being at the park, not gun ho, but not crawling nether!. Its Dad and DS(19yo). We or me:rotfl2: would like to stop at San Clemente beach after words for a dip In the Pacific, I am i trying to much, would we have time before the sun goes down?. Cant forget about the drive back, there will be more cars on the road, not adding the beach trip, what kind of time driveing back

The drive down usually takes about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic. The Zoo opens at 9, which would put you driving through rush hour so I would use the carpool lane whenever possible. Plan on the Zoo taking 4 - 6 hours to see.

What we might do is leave early then plan(for the 2 hr drive) and have breakfast near the zoo. So instead of leaving at about 7, leave at 5:30/6am and grab some breakfast before the zoo.

Are you driving on a weekday or weekend?

Last time I drove down (from L.A., so a touch more north than DL) was on a weekday, left fairly early at 7am, and it took a little under 3 hours. The trip to SD just a little prior to that, we left on a weekend, same time, but breezed down in just under 2.

For breakfast, I recommend Hash House A Go Go, if you can get there at opening, 7:30am. Gigantic portions and delicious food & fresh squeezed juice. Wait times start getting long as the morning wears on though, but a good choice if you'll be there early. :)

Are you driving on a weekday or weekend?

Last time I drove down (from L.A., so a touch more north than DL) was on a weekday, left fairly early at 7am, and it took a little under 3 hours. The trip to SD just a little prior to that, we left on a weekend, same time, but breezed down in just under 2.

For breakfast, I recommend Hash House A Go Go, if you can get there at opening, 7:30am. Gigantic portions and delicious food & fresh squeezed juice. Wait times start getting long as the morning wears on though, but a good choice if you'll be there early. :)

Blueberry Hill. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It took us about 6 hours to get through most of the zoo. Wear comfy shoes--lots of uphill!

(Not sure if you can still do this, but we bought an annual pass for the family for access to the zoo and the wild animal park. We received some free passes for friends (used one of each and gave the rest away)---visited the park twice and the zoo 3 times over 2 trips---and saved over purchasing just tickets (it was maybe $25 more for the annual over paying once to get into the zoo for all of us).

We plan on going down on the 5th(was not able to get tickets for MNSSHP) of Oct, so i will take the high drive time 3hrs, and plan for 3hrs in the morning. Hash Hash go go looks so good yum. Maybe shoot to drive down at 5am get there at about 7/7:30 have breakfast and then walk it off at the Zoo.

What we might do is leave early then plan(for the 2 hr drive) and have breakfast near the zoo. So instead of leaving at about 7, leave at 5:30/6am and grab some breakfast before the zoo.

If you get down to the Zoo a bit later than that, they open for breakfast at 8:30, then the grounds open at 9

It took us about 6 hours to get through most of the zoo. Wear comfy shoes--lots of uphill!

(Not sure if you can still do this, but we bought an annual pass for the family for access to the zoo and the wild animal park. We received some free passes for friends (used one of each and gave the rest away)---visited the park twice and the zoo 3 times over 2 trips---and saved over purchasing just tickets (it was maybe $25 more for the annual over paying once to get into the zoo for all of us).

I don't know when you bought your pass, but there have been some changes in recent years - if you live outside of So. Cal, the membership prices start at $250 for 2 people. You also no longer get free guest passes - you will get super discount tickets - one day tickets for $15 (normal cost is $42)

Well this will be a one time shot for me and my DS for the foreseeable future so we will just go with the one day pass for now, but thanks any way. I could not find any discount tickets or a two ticket package that included sea world any where. Do they exist?. Now I seen if you buy three park package it included it but not just the two.

look up Blue berry Hill, it looks like there a lunch Dinner place?, looks good but we where more aiming more to Breakfast, but thanks!:cool1:

Well this will be a one time shot for me and my DS for the foreseeable future so we will just go with the one day pass for now, but thanks any way. I could not find any discount tickets or a two ticket package that included sea world any where. Do they exist?. Now I seen if you buy three park package it included it but not just the two.

There are discounts at the gate if you have a military ID, or AAA (10%). If your employer participates, there is a company called Tickets at work that offer discounts. You may also check at your hotel, as sometimes they have discounts for other areas of Southern Ca.

The Three in One ticket is a good price, and would save you a little bit of $ even without going to the Safari Park.

If you are a member of Costco or Sam's Club, they usually sell discounted tickets.

Another pass you may want to look at depending on what else you have planned is the City Pass. Go to their website though. You can buy an upgraded city pass - 3 day park hopper for Disneyland, 1 day at Universal Studios, 1 day at Seaworld, and 1 day at the Zoo. This upgraded pass can only be purchased through there website (the one sold at the different parks do NOT include the Zoo). If you have a City Pass already, you can show it at the ticket window at the Zoo and save 10% also.

FYI- San Diego area attractions are offering kids FREE with one paying adult. Lots of great places on the list, museums, zoo, etc...

But you MUST buy the adult ticket at the gate & THEN show your kids FREE coupon. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter