• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive vs Bus: Who Wins? (WDW property to Port Canaveral)

Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earning My Ears
Let's debate: do you recommend taking the Disney bus to get to Port Canaveral from WDW property... or do you drive and park?

We just drove a rental car one way from Port Orleans FQ (dropped it off at Avis Port Canaveral), then took the free Avis shuttle (5 mins) to the port. Saved us over $100 on what the bus would have cost!

We vlogged the whole thing so you can see how easy it is (plus we outline the rest of our embarkation of the Fantasy) for anyone who's interested:

<removed by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some variables involved that could impact choices. Rental car will almost always be less expensive, particularly for a party of 3+ the bus gets expensive. But some people aren't comfortable driving in an unfamiliar area. Also arriving by DCL transfers from WDW will have the advantage with regards to PAT and boarding group.

There are some variables involved that could impact choices. Rental car will almost always be less expensive, particularly for a party of 3+ the bus gets expensive. But some people aren't comfortable driving in an unfamiliar area. Also arriving by DCL transfers from WDW will have the advantage with regards to PAT and boarding group.
Good points!

Also, sometimes the one-way fee to drop off a rental car in PC is rather expensive. We did it once and had to wait over an hour for the stupid rental shuttle to the port. It was probably a fluke, but it has prevented us from dropping off in PC again. We will be taking a rental car and parking at the port for our 4 night cruise and then picking it up to do Orlando afterwards.

Another variable to consider is...how are you getting to WDW? And then... what are you doing after the cruise? There are times where renting a car for a week, driving it to a pre-cruise destination, then driving to the port, PAYING TO PARK THE RENTAL AT THE PORT, then walking off the boat to your car and zipping to another activity before leaving the Orlando area to go home is cheaper and an overall time saver. Even if you end up with a 1 pm PAT...

We almost always take a rental car to Port Canaveral when we come from WDW. Breakfast on property, and we have gotten to know many of the Avis shuttle drivers. We are Pearl, so no problem with PAT!

Well it is cheaper if you have more than 3 but we we be 5 and a lot of luggage so bus it is. All adults now that over pack…lol

Plus it’s nice not to worry about tolls, returning car and taking a shuttle back. Even if it is one person returning the car I would worry if they could find us, heck I worry when my husband is late coming home from work .

We used to do car services when the kids were small but that has gotten expensive too.

We have done all versions and have settled on car rental for length of our vacation. We park in the port parking garage for the cruise. This way we can walk from our car to the cruise terminal and back. We can also leave anything we don’t need for the cruise in the car. Doing shuttles with lots of luggage is a pain.

We have done all versions and have settled on car rental for length of our vacation. We park in the port parking garage for the cruise. This way we can walk from our car to the cruise terminal and back. We can also leave anything we don’t need for the cruise in the car. Doing shuttles with lots of luggage is a pain.
I like this idea best

We've had trouble with returning rental car and waiting forever for shuttle, both with Avis and Enterprise. And they both were doing construction at one point. We take Happy Limo now.

Is there a reason no one has brought up Uber/Lyft? That seems like it, depending on how many people, would be cheaper than the bus and easier (and possibly cheaper) than a rental car return with a shuttle?

Is there a reason no one has brought up Uber/Lyft? That seems like it, depending on how many people, would be cheaper than the bus and easier (and possibly cheaper) than a rental car return with a shuttle?
I think the concern is if there is surge pricing. You can't really guarantee a price with them. It may not be cheaper. Plus, you have to find one that's willing to go all the way out there and come back without a paying fair.

When we were younger we'd go for the savings but now I don't want to drive on vacation. We just have to remember the bus back to Disney doesn't leave until 9a, or slightly after, so we don't hop out of the room at 7a - like we always do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter