• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive to the parks OR use the bus?

I bought a AAA diamond pass on ebay. We drove our car and parked, at the front on the parks, and didn't have to brave the tram lines. We just walked right up to our car near the gates and moved on. It was a GREAT idea!

I almost bought one, but after a LOT of reading, the consensus was the AAA spots always filled up first thing in the morning, and there weren't many of them to start with. So few people are ever lucky enough to get them. When did you go with yours?

We've done both. If we fly to Disney, then it's the busses. If we drive, then we also use our car to drive to the parks.

Honestly, time wise its a complete wash on average. Both ways have their hiccups and issues as well as their benifits. Driving "feels" like less time because your always moving to get to your car versus standing in a bus line watching seconds tick on your watch. It was also nice to never have to run for a bus when driving.

But ultimately, times are about the same door to door. I think the Unoffical Guide to Disney clocks driving as a few minutes faster on average.

Driving times vs Disney transportation:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/0...spending-the-least-amount-of-time-in-transit/

That just takes time into account. Doesn't factor in standing up holding a sleeping child as a stranger's vomit rolls up and down the aisle of the bus...

josassoc said:
I bought a AAA diamond pass on ebay. We drove our car and parked, at the front on the parks, and didn't have to brave the tram lines. We just walked right up to our car near the gates and moved on. It was a GREAT idea!

I've heard of people getting caught using ones purchased from Ebay. Not sure how often it happens. But I will concur, the Diamond parking makes a huge difference. Sure we'd feel differently if unable to use it.

We always book thru AAA anyway for additional benefits, including the AAA storytime, Diamond Parking, fireworks viewing, etc. pricing has always been as good or better than Disney directly, or any other travel agent I've checked.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 32GB using the DISBoards App

we used disney transport for our honeymoon and i felt like 1/2 our trip was on the bus. we went back last year and drove and my god did we do so much!!! for mnsshp we parked our car at mk early and took a bus to ak (where we spend our 1/2 day) then a bus back to the resort to change and back to mk, but that is so at midnight when we are tired, it is right up front :) but that is the only time we use it (well we do ride the monorail around for fun...) im with the husband, car all the way!!!

I always use Disney transportation. I never want to spend the money renting a car, and then paying for gas all week. Plus it's nice to know I always have a bus driver to be the designated driver.

I doubt I will ever drive to WDW, I live in TX and I am spoiled being only 8 miles from home to work. So anything much over that in a car I'm not a happy camper :rotfl2: I don't want to rent a car for a few reasons...

1) Cost even though DP can get a really good/great rate as he's in a business that provides really good rates for such things. Less money for something unnecessary for us is more $$$$ for shopping /dining better.

2) I am not great with directons, don't want to map it, don't want to mess with a GPS set up, don't want to read road signs. Especially after a long day of Disney fun.

3) The additional cost of transportation is already figured into my resort, why wouldn't I take advantage of it...I'm paying for. It's not technically just FREE. So why pay for more of something I have. I wouldn't go to a dinner out and bring my own plate and flatware. OK I know thats a stretch.;)

4)If I want a drink somewhere I can have it and not worry. That being said I only usually have about 5 drinks a year. I havent had one in WDW in the last 2 trips, just havent really wanted one. BUT if I want one I can without worry.

5) Overall I have NEVER found Disney transportation to be a hassle even with a bus from AK to the resort stalling out on the major roads a few times. I just hoped we wouldn't get hit.

6) I really love meeting others, sometimes great conversations get going with other guests. Sometimes not. I love when the little ones tell me there going to see Mickey or this or that princess..or tell me who they already met. i LOVE that.

7) I love the magical express video when arriving at WDW. It makes me happy. :goodvibes

8) Don't want the last minute hassle of returning a rental car. The less i deal with the better.

PERHAPS if I had little ones I would feel diffeent BUT for two adults sometimes 3 adults it's not necessary for us.

Did not see this mentioned (maybe I missed it), but how well does driving while park hopping work? I was thinking you would not be getting the closer parking when you hop, and so some of that advantage is taken away. I have only hopped using buses so I have no experience, just curious.

Did not see this mentioned (maybe I missed it), but how well does driving while park hopping work? I was thinking you would not be getting the closer parking when you hop, and so some of that advantage is taken away. I have only hopped using buses so I have no experience, just curious.

It varies.

By the time that you hop to another lot, there MIGHT be some spots closer to the park gates that have opened up (from others who have "hopped out.")
But, that would take some time to drive around to explore that possibility.

Back in the day (I mean the 90s), my exDH and I used Disney transportation and it was fine. We had the occasional long wait for a bus or completely packed bus over many trips, but it was basically fine.

Flash forward to 2007 - went with a friend and her daughter. Wait times were crazy long during the slower times of day, then fairly long + packed buses during the busy times. I'm not even going to start about the glares from other passengers on the bus if we did manage to score seats...

Never again. After that trip, the rental car was part of the budget as a necessary expense. Money well spent.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We are having a disagreement. My kids and I love driving to Disney, parking our car AND NEVER SEEING IT AGAIN until we go home. :thumbsup2 However, my husband is not a fan of Disney transportation. Getting to the parks is fine, BUT when we leave after fireworks/shows/closing time, it drives him nuts to wait all that time with the tired kids, hurting feet, etc. Especially since our van is just waiting at our resort and would take a fraction of the time (he says).

I see his point, truly! However, I just love that we park the car and not use it. My kids said they feel the same way.

So what's everyone take? Do you use your car or park it and leave it? :drive:

We hate using our car to go to the parks :rotfl2:so we use Disney Transportation, but we do use our car for everything else (Downtown Disney, ADRs, other activities)

I almost bought one, but after a LOT of reading, the consensus was the AAA spots always filled up first thing in the morning, and there weren't many of them to start with. So few people are ever lucky enough to get them. When did you go with yours?

FWIW - buying AAA diamond passes anywhere is against AAA and Disney rules. It even says "non transferrable" on the back of the diamond passes. You also run the risk of being caught because AAA frequently changes the passes. I wouldn't try this.

If you are an AAA member, you can check with your office to find out your club's rules on the parking passes. Some clubs will give it to you just for being a member and some will make you book your package with them. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I doubt I will ever drive to WDW, I live in TX and I am spoiled being only 8 miles from home to work. So anything much over that in a car I'm not a happy camper :rotfl2:

I get not wanting to drive from TX, :drive: but if you make the trip part of the adventure (e.g., with an overnight or two in New Orleans :cool1:, almost exactly half way) you can maximize the fun.

Once you get there, however, all the drives on WDW property are a lot shorter than 8 miles... :moped: ::yes::

FWIW - buying AAA diamond passes anywhere is against AAA and Disney rules. It even says "non transferrable" on the back of the diamond passes. You also run the risk of being caught because AAA frequently changes the passes.

You're absolutely right, and I was wondering how long it would take until someone used this exact phrase.

That said, if Disney or AAA really wanted to crack down on this practice, they'd print the pass on security paper or with security inks to eliminate duplication, reuse and sale.

It's obviously not a big deal to them, or at least not big enough to spend money on eliminating the abuse.

I am absolutely not condoning the practice, I'm just saying it's a perk they could better police than they are, probably because they just don't think it's worth any $$$ to fix.

Driving times vs Disney transportation:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/0...spending-the-least-amount-of-time-in-transit/

That just takes time into account. Doesn't factor in standing up holding a sleeping child as a stranger's vomit rolls up and down the aisle of the bus...

It also doesn't take into account that same sleeping child as you try to run to a car in a thunderstorm. :) Thanks for the link. The 2 extra hours in transit sounds about right based on my estimate of 5-10 min advantage on average by car.

People really need to break down their schedules though.The UG breaks it down door-to-door per resort to each park. Overall it looks like a slight advantage to driving, but there's a lot of notable exceptions. Example:

Pop Century to MK Average time / (Max)
Driving: 40min / (51min)
Bus : 24min / (34min)

On the other hand,
Animal Kingdom Lodge to MK Average time / (Max)
Driving: 37min / (48min)
Bus: 49min / (67min)

My kids and I love driving to Disney, parking our car AND NEVER SEEING IT AGAIN until we go home.

This is me, too. 90% of the reason I stay on property is so that I don't have to drive.

We prefer driving ourselves...never have been a fan of the bus system.

The only exception might be if we start out at MK and head over to EPCOT...in which case we use the monorail.

Ok...what if you are staying out of the Disney resorts. Can we take a shuttle to Epcot and then make it to MK on bus transportation if we only have tickets to MK?

Will they let us in the Epcot public transportation if we only have MK tickets? Our "outside hotel" goes to Epcot at 7:25am and then not back to Disney until 10:25am @ MK.

Thoughts?

Ok...what if you are staying out of the Disney resorts. Can we take a shuttle to Epcot and then make it to MK on bus transportation if we only have tickets to MK?

Will they let us in the Epcot public transportation if we only have MK tickets? Our "outside hotel" goes to Epcot at 7:25am and then not back to Disney until 10:25am @ MK.

Thoughts?

Everyone can use the busses, monorails and boats. Your hotel is not an issue.

Yes, all Disney park guests are entitled to use Disney transportation.

In your case, you would normally (unless the monorail is down, tgen Disney starts up a bus route) take a monorail from EPCOT to TTC then switch monorails or take the ferry to MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter