• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive Like the Wind Bullseye!! March 11 - March 18, 2017 - COMPLETE

Hi :wave: I just stumble onto your trip report. I recognized your user name from previous trip reports I've read. What a great start. I'm only on day one but wanted to say hello.

Heading back now to get all caught up.

Hi :wave: I just stumble onto your trip report. I recognized your user name from previous trip reports I've read. What a great start. I'm only on day one but wanted to say hello.

Heading back now to get all caught up.

Hey Grumpys Wife!! Thanks so much for stopping by and following along!!

Enjoying your report! So sorry about your allergic reaction- although I'm impressed you had the energy to keep going. I had a reaction once, got the steroids, but it wiped me out for a day.

Enjoying your report! So sorry about your allergic reaction- although I'm impressed you had the energy to keep going. I had a reaction once, got the steroids, but it wiped me out for a day.

Hey Scrappy!! Thanks so much for following along. I was pretty tired at the end of the day. But we got a lot done and I think my fitbit clocked us at about 7 miles that day. I think the steroids gave me the burst of energy I needed in order to make it through the new few days.

I'm all caught up. I missed the Coca Cola store in Disney Springs, I will never get used to that name. I'll have to look for it next trip.

I love the tea. Still debating it for November because for 5 of us it can get expensive and I'm not sure my daughter wants to leave the wild ones alone with her husband. They are a handful.

I remember reading about your reaction on FB. I know you have the shellfish allergy but could you be allergic to curry? When we went to Scotland last year the man we were all there to hear sing had a similar issue and it turned out it was the curry chicken he had on the plane. I am allergic to Olive Garden's pasta fagioli soup. Almost wound up in Urgent Care after eating that while out with a friend. I started having trouble breathing and it was something in the soup. Never had an issue before and not sure what caused it as they have a bunch of odd things in the ingredients list. I am really worried about our trip though as my youngest grandson has a severe peanut allergy. Food allergies are scary.

I'm all caught up. I missed the Coca Cola store in Disney Springs, I will never get used to that name. I'll have to look for it next trip.

I love the tea. Still debating it for November because for 5 of us it can get expensive and I'm not sure my daughter wants to leave the wild ones alone with her husband. They are a handful.

I remember reading about your reaction on FB. I know you have the shellfish allergy but could you be allergic to curry? When we went to Scotland last year the man we were all there to hear sing had a similar issue and it turned out it was the curry chicken he had on the plane. I am allergic to Olive Garden's pasta fagioli soup. Almost wound up in Urgent Care after eating that while out with a friend. I started having trouble breathing and it was something in the soup. Never had an issue before and not sure what caused it as they have a bunch of odd things in the ingredients list. I am really worried about our trip though as my youngest grandson has a severe peanut allergy. Food allergies are scary.

Hannah has a peanut allergy. We are super careful with it. I can be stressful sometimes, but mostly we know what she can and cannot eat. And the sous chef from the Grand Floridian called and after talking with her for a good while, we did narrow it down to the curry. She said the curry has a mango paste in it that is made in a factory that makes fish paste for English tea sandwiches. So perhaps there was some cross contamination. It is our best guess on what actually happened. We will never really know for sure.

Day 6 – Part Three

When I last left off we had just checked in at.

http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04829.jpg.html

We put our name in and waited a bit.

http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04830.jpg.html

They called out name we were seated. I love this place. So many things hanging on the wall literally hung on my own grandmother’s wall.

Our waiter was fun and sassy. Made the kids set the table and told them no walkie talkies. Called the GF Princess Ariel and DS Mop Top.

Anyway four of us ordered.

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken - served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, chicken gravy and seasonal vegetables $21
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/IMG_3683.jpg.html

We had credits to burn, but if we did not – this would easily feed two people.

DH got

Cousin Ann's Traditional Meatloaf - a blend of beef and pork topped with tomato glaze, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans $18
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04832.jpg.html

For dessert, the kids all got milkshakes – mint choc ship for DD, and vanilla for the other two.

The waiter made the big kids clean off the table next to us. Haha. I was sort of surprised they did it and actually knew how.

I got.

Traditional Warm Apple Crisp - A la mode for $8
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04838.jpg.html

I love apple pie and apple crisp kinds of things. And this did not disappoint. Very warm and melty ice cream delicious.

It was DH’s birthday so he got a complimentary cupcake and we all sang Happy Birthday. Poor guy had to take me to urgent care on his birthday.

For his dessert he got

Dad's Brownie Sundae - chocolate brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream, Hot Fudge, Caramel sauce, whipped cream and toppings $6.5
http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/jecskc/media/Disney 2017/Day 6/DSC04836.jpg.html

I’ve had this before and it is very good as well.

The big kids went to ride RNR, while we looked in the shops. After they were done, DH dropped DD and I off at Epcot and then he took the big kids back to MK. He said he would meet us at Epcot later.

Elbows on the table! I hope "Mop Top" heard about that from the waiter. I love that your waiter called your phones "walkie talkies! Several years ago we were having breakfast at the Whispering Canyon and one of the waitresses kept asking people she saw on their phones if they were looking at "the Bookface." It was hilarious. We still call FB "bookface" to this day.

We went to 50s Prime our first trip, but haven't been back. If they are making teens clean the table, we may have to make a repeat visit. The time we went the waiter made KT and my niece (6 & 4 at the time) cry because he wasn't going to let me have dessert. I didn't clean my plate. They were devastated (obviously) for me.

So I think we are going to see Wishes one last time at the end of the month. No park admission as I can't swing one day ticket money for that, but we'll watch it from outside the park and check out Disney Springs. We haven't been since all the new stuff opened. Last time we were there we avoided it due to all the road construction, etc.

Elbows on the table! I hope "Mop Top" heard about that from the waiter. I love that your waiter called your phones "walkie talkies! Several years ago we were having breakfast at the Whispering Canyon and one of the waitresses kept asking people she saw on their phones if they were looking at "the Bookface." It was hilarious. We still call FB "bookface" to this day.

We went to 50s Prime our first trip, but haven't been back. If they are making teens clean the table, we may have to make a repeat visit. The time we went the waiter made KT and my niece (6 & 4 at the time) cry because he wasn't going to let me have dessert. I didn't clean my plate. They were devastated (obviously) for me.

So I think we are going to see Wishes one last time at the end of the month. No park admission as I can't swing one day ticket money for that, but we'll watch it from outside the park and check out Disney Springs. We haven't been since all the new stuff opened. Last time we were there we avoided it due to all the road construction, etc.

Hannah was always warning him about his elbows - haha

YAY for seeing Wishes one last time!! Disney Spring has changed A LOT. You definitely need to check out the Marketplace and the Uniqlo store. I admit that most of the other high end shops don't appeal to me.

Susan

Day 6 – Part Four

Entering Epcot

DD wanted to do the Ellen ride so we did that.

After that we did Mission Space – green side.

Then DD ran around in the mist at the cool off station near Test Track (which had a two hour wait by this time)

Then she wanted some nachos, so we went to Mexico to get some.

This is a photo from a couple of years ago. She likes hers with just cheese so I got all of the other stuff on the side so we could share.

We still had snack credits to burn so we made our way over to Norway where DD got an ice cream bar since she said her nachos were spicy.

DH had made it over to meet us, so we headed to Germany to find him having a birthday beer.

DD and I got some more things from the Caramel shop to use up some snack credits.

At this point was when I received a phone call from the sous chef at the Grand Floridian following up on my allergic reaction. We went over what I was allergic to and what I ate and she was very puzzled that I would have had such a strong reaction to what I ate. She said she would check on some things and call me back.

About 10-15 minutes later, she calls me back with a possibility. The curry chicken salad had a mango paste in the recipe. The mango paste that they used was manufacture in a factory where they made ingredients for English tea sandwiches. One of those ingredients being fish paste. So perhaps there was some cross contamination at the factory. It was the only logical explanation. And really they only thing that made any sense. We all just sort of shrugged our shoulders and kind of moved on with it. Stuff happens, you know. But still it was puzzling.

After that, we moved on to America, where DH got some another sandwich and some beers from the Smokehouse booth with snack credits – well, not the beer – we had to pay for that.

I enjoyed a Mickey Pretzel

While DD enjoyed her very first funnel cake.

She LOVED this and is now obsessed with them. We went to a food truck festival last weekend and one of the food trucks had funnel cakes and she was in heaven.

She had one last snack on her list

Kaki Gori from Japan

After that, we were pretty tired, but I thought I held up pretty well after practically no sleep and an urgent care visit that very morning. I’m pretty sure that steroid shot helped me through the next couple of days. My feet didn’t even hurt as much as they usually do.

We headed back to the resort and got some sleep.

Last edited:
Never had a funnel cake??!!! I'm glad she finally was able to experience the sugary goodness that is a funnel cake!

Just came across your report today. I'm amazed that you brave Spring Break week every year, but it sounds like yours was March and so not Easter week, which I'm sure is better.

We LOVE the Bay Lake Tower Resort as well. We own at SSR but if we have a chance to do Bay Lake Tower...or also Polynesian Villas...we would chose those over others.

How scary about that allergy thing. My DH is the same way...has a mystery allergy we have yet to determine. His worst reactions were once when he had a protein bar...got the whole face swelling thing, rushed him to the E/R, those bars have so many ingredients it's hard to say...so he just stays away from them. The last time was DURING our Walt Disney World trip in July of 2015. This time, a few days before our trip, he had decided to try some kind of weight loss high protein supplement. He ended up with a severe rash that just kept moving around and spreading, prompting him to visit an E/R in Jacksonville as well as the Orlando area. I can remember driving from Jacksonville to Orlando the morning after his first episode...and on the drive his tongue was swelling a bit and he had the EpiPen in front of him at the ready and told me how to use it. I can't tell you how fast I made that drive so we could get to our resort just in case. He was miserable most of that trip and the July heat did NOT help! He ended up trying several different prescriptions, even calling his family doctor back home in MD to get another one called it to try.

So glad you got treatment and it worked right away for you. Such a scary thing. I try to carry benadryl on me at all times, mostly for DH but also my DD has had her share of mystery rashes so I'm never sure if she might have something similar.

Just came across your report today. I'm amazed that you brave Spring Break week every year, but it sounds like yours was March and so not Easter week, which I'm sure is better.

We LOVE the Bay Lake Tower Resort as well. We own at SSR but if we have a chance to do Bay Lake Tower...or also Polynesian Villas...we would chose those over others.

How scary about that allergy thing. My DH is the same way...has a mystery allergy we have yet to determine. His worst reactions were once when he had a protein bar...got the whole face swelling thing, rushed him to the E/R, those bars have so many ingredients it's hard to say...so he just stays away from them. The last time was DURING our Walt Disney World trip in July of 2015. This time, a few days before our trip, he had decided to try some kind of weight loss high protein supplement. He ended up with a severe rash that just kept moving around and spreading, prompting him to visit an E/R in Jacksonville as well as the Orlando area. I can remember driving from Jacksonville to Orlando the morning after his first episode...and on the drive his tongue was swelling a bit and he had the EpiPen in front of him at the ready and told me how to use it. I can't tell you how fast I made that drive so we could get to our resort just in case. He was miserable most of that trip and the July heat did NOT help! He ended up trying several different prescriptions, even calling his family doctor back home in MD to get another one called it to try.

So glad you got treatment and it worked right away for you. Such a scary thing. I try to carry benadryl on me at all times, mostly for DH but also my DD has had her share of mystery rashes so I'm never sure if she might have something similar.

Hey Kittylady!!

I'm so glad you are following along.

We have been every year during Spring Break since 2009. It is crowded, but I sort of enjoy the energy of the crowd. We used to go the week right before Easter since that was our Spring Break in South Carolina where we lived. We recently moved to Texas and their Spring Break is earlier. I thought the crowds would be better, but I was mistaken. I noticed no difference in the crowds. It was still super crowded. But we are veterans and know to expect the crowds and how to handle them. The weather was much cooler though and we really enjoyed that.

Yes, the allergy thing is disconcerting. But I least I know for the most part what I am allergic to. How confusing for you husband to NOT know. Has he had that allergy test where they draw a grid on your back and prick you with like 40 different things to find out what you are allergic to? We always have an epi on hand. And I will say I've looked at the ingredients of some of those supplements, and some of them do say to not take them if you have a shellfish allergy.

I still had hives for several days after, but the cooler temps really helped make that more bearable. If it had been July? Yeah - that would have been miserable. The steroid shot worked fantastic for swelling and breathing though. A literal lifesaver!! My son has had a few mystery rashes, but benadryl always did the trick for those thank goodness. Never could figure out what those were from.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello :-)

Hey Kittylady!!

I'm so glad you are following along.

We have been every year during Spring Break since 2009. It is crowded, but I sort of enjoy the energy of the crowd. We used to go the week right before Easter since that was our Spring Break in South Carolina where we lived. We recently moved to Texas and their Spring Break is earlier. I thought the crowds would be better, but I was mistaken. I noticed no difference in the crowds. It was still super crowded. But we are veterans and know to expect the crowds and how to handle them. The weather was much cooler though and we really enjoyed that.

Yes, the allergy thing is disconcerting. But I least I know for the most part what I am allergic to. How confusing for you husband to NOT know. Has he had that allergy test where they draw a grid on your back and prick you with like 40 different things to find out what you are allergic to? We always have an epi on hand. And I will say I've looked at the ingredients of some of those supplements, and some of them do say to not take them if you have a shellfish allergy.

I still had hives for several days after, but the cooler temps really helped make that more bearable. If it had been July? Yeah - that would have been miserable. The steroid shot worked fantastic for swelling and breathing though. A literal lifesaver!! My son has had a few mystery rashes, but benadryl always did the trick for those thank goodness. Never could figure out what those were from.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello :-)

Yes we brave Thanksgiving week quite often, it's the only holiday (except July 4th) that we've spent in WDW and we know what to expect there too and just roll with it. We usually get the cooler weather but every now and then we can sneak in a pool day that week.

No he hasn't bothered with the allergy testing. He definitely doesn't have an issue with shellfish, which is good because we eat a LOT of seafood.

Ah kids and mystery rashes...such fun.

Enjoying reading!

Yes we brave Thanksgiving week quite often, it's the only holiday (except July 4th) that we've spent in WDW and we know what to expect there too and just roll with it. We usually get the cooler weather but every now and then we can sneak in a pool day that week.

No he hasn't bothered with the allergy testing. He definitely doesn't have an issue with shellfish, which is good because we eat a LOT of seafood.

Ah kids and mystery rashes...such fun.

Enjoying reading!

I adore Thanksgiving at WDW.

Thanks for reading!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter