Drive from Ohio

Maybe I am being overly optomistic, but I'm expecting little if any traffic slowdowns on the weekend. We'll be going through Jacksonville area Sunday morning, so that should not be an issue. I'll tell you what... If I have time after we pick our AAA Trip-Tik, I will let you know of any construction concerns or expected delays they have.

We have drove to WDW 2 times from Pittsburgh. We drive straight through and stay in Savannah Ga. We get up the next day and leave about 9:00 a.m. and were in Disney in about 4 hours.

markriet-

Sounds great....thanks...I thought about stopping in at AAA this week too...only open 2 nights...so I'll have to see if it works out. what was your reason for leaving at 4am? I think that would wipe us out for the long day of driving. We plan on leaving @ 7am.

We've driven many times from central Ohio. When we take I95 we always stop in Kingsland. Gas is the cheapest here of anywhere along the trip, lots of hotels and restaurants, easy off/on, and the best part is it is just a few miles the next morning and you are in Florida. If you don't find a hotel before you leave pick up one of the hotel coupon books at the gas stations. Have a safe trip!

We just trying to think of ways that the kids would be asleep for part of the trip... giving less chance for the 2yo especially to get completely out of control.

Oh....so much packing...so little time!!!

Our plan is still to leave at 7am. I wish you luck with your 4am departure....but I understand your reasoning.. I am sure I will be awake at 4am ....running through things.... I haven't had a chance to get to AAA.

Did you decide where you were going to stay Saturday night...or still planning on driving as far as the kids let you? We are doing 13 hours! :eek:

No reservations at this point. We are driving as long as the kids are handling it well. We're thinking somewhere in Georgia. I've heard good things on here about Kingsland... hotels, plus generally cheaper gas. That is near the FL border though. We're not thinking 3:00 any more, but more like 4:00 or so. We pick up our trip-tik tomorrow probably. I'll try to remember to update you on here.

Were leaving from Michigan (about 18 hours mapquest says straight through), and I was telling husband to leave about 3:00 am and drive straight through to Orlando and arriving approximately at midnight. Then waking up and hitting the park the next morning. DH is thinking like you and stopping somewhere south of Atlanta and spending the night. We've traveled straight through before, but starting off at night time (9:00 pm) and I found it too hard and being too sleepy to help out through the night time. I thought that having the car packed the night before and going to bed at 9:00pm and waking up at 2:00 - 2:30am that I would be much fresher for the long ride. We'll mostly likely be stopping and the suggestions that everyone is giving in this post will help alot! Thanks! ;)

This is Mainly for OSUMouse.

We picked up our TripTik today.

Our routing starts out a little different than yours, but from Charleston WV on I-77 all the way to Disney, AAA shows no expected construction delays.

HAVE A SAFE TRIP!!!

Markreit-

That sounds like great news for both of us.... I hope you have a great time too! We can compare notes after! Take Care! Less than 48 hours....

:banana: :cool1: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :yay:

Regarding our trip last week.

I could not believe how fast people were driving on the way down. From WV til Orlando, we found most everyone driving 80 - 85 MPH... so we just kept up. Our leaving at 5:00 AM Saturday sort of backfired.... the 2 year old woke up when we put him in the van and was awake the beginning of our drive and even got sick about 3 hours from home. After a few rough hours with him getting sick, we made it to the south side of Savannah yet Saturday (stopped driving around 6:00)
That got us to the edge of Orlando by noon on Sunday. Then with a stop to eat lunch and at the grocery, we were to the Contemporary about 3:00

The drive back was another story. Friday morning started out with us taking the 2 yo to the Urgent Care... we were worried he was dehydrated since he was so lethargic. Then we hit rush hour in Jacksonville, and stayed in Savannah. Then when leaving Savannah, there was a bad accident on I-95 Saturday afternoon that lost us an hour and a half... so we ended up staying Saturday night in Charlotte before driving the rest of the way on Sunday.

Does anyone the speed limits for the trip from Oh to FL? :car: I think that it might be 75 mph in WV but I'm not sure about other states. TIA :sunny: Oh by the way, after much discussion, my hubby has said that we will try to make it to Kingsland GA. I told him about all the positives that I have heard here. :thumbsup2

Curious about drive from Pittsburgh. Do you take 79/77,etc past Charlotte or do you brave 95?

When do you leave Pittsburgh & how long total?

thanks, we've never driven yet but, have considered it.
kimmy kay said:
We have drove to WDW 2 times from Pittsburgh. We drive straight through and stay in Savannah Ga. We get up the next day and leave about 9:00 a.m. and were in Disney in about 4 hours.

Markriet-
I hope your little guy is feeling better! We had a sick one last trip...but healthy this time!

We were amazed by the speed too!!! But like you, we stayed with traffic and knocked TWO HOURS off our first day!!! We stayed at exit 94 south of savannah...and arrived around 7pm. We made it Coronado by 12:30/1:00 on SUnday afternoon. :woohoo:

Our return trip was not as great as the trip down, but better than yours. We left Disney around 9am on Friday and had a couple slow downs along the way. We stayed in Charlotte on Friday night. The drive Saturday seemed to take FOREVER!! The kids were great in the car, but not sure if we will drive again or not. :crazy:

tweedlewtwinsmama said:
Does anyone the speed limits for the trip from Oh to FL? :car: I think that it might be 75 mph in WV but I'm not sure about other states. TIA :sunny: Oh by the way, after much discussion, my hubby has said that we will try to make it to Kingsland GA. I told him about all the positives that I have heard here. :thumbsup2

The speed limit in WV is only 70 except for about 30-40 miles of the turnpike that is only 60. Virginia is 65, I believe, and then in NC- it is back up to 70...

Word of caution in WV- I wouldn't push too far past 75 with out of state tags. I know quite a few state police officers here in WV and I know of alot that will pull over an out of state tag before those with WV tags... Just to give you some warning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter