Drive from Ohio

markriet

Earning My Ears
We're driving from Ohio, and from internet searches it is 16 hours or so of straight driving.

Right now we are thinking of leaving at 3:00 or 4:00 AM. With myself, DW, DD 11, DD 5 and DS2, we're hoping that way they sleep at least 3 or 4 hours at first. Especially if we pluck them right out of bed and into the van.

Then we are thinking of staying on I-95 somewhere in Georgia (supposedly about 10 1/2 to 12 hours drive. Even with a couple stops that should get us there by around 5:00 or 6:00. That should leave 4 or 5 hours for the second day so we can get in in time for our Hoop Dee Doo Review ADR at 5:30.

So, we're thinking of staying somewhere in Georgia... anywhere from Savanah to the FL border. Any suggestions?

If your looking in that area of I-95, I would suggest avoiding Jacksonville/Daytona area during rush hour in the morning. I like the Port Wentworth, GA area and the Brunswick, GA area. Both are good, clean safe places to stop and have some moderatly priced hotels....hope this helps...

I agree with Josh!

We stopped at Port Wentworth and it was a clean and safe area. If you are leaving Ohio so early, I would try to get a hotel with an indoor pool so that the kids can burn off some steam and be ready to get back into the van the next morning. Also, try to be on the road very early the next morning so that you are past the Florida border before rush hour and past Daytona as early as possible. During busy times, you can wind up sitting for HOURS and will regret not having left earlier. If need be, you can always rest at WDW in comfort when you finally arrive!

A tip for your little one--go to a hobby shop and buy some "Magic pens" books to keep him/her occupied. They come with pens with "invisible" ink that makes pictures magically appear when colored. It's mess-free and has kept our little ones, (now 7 & 14), busy for hours! There are always electronics and books for the older kids, so it's nice to have the young ones busy too!

Have a great trip! :sunny:

Thanks for the ideas.

We are leaving Ohio Saturday morning, so, we will be leaving from our overnight Georgia stay on Sunday morning so rush hour should not be a problem.

How long will the drive be from Port Wentworth to WDW be then?

Do you think we should drive even farther the first day? I really would like to make the second day much shorter so we have some energy for when we get there.

Best Western Point South in lower SC has an indoor pool. It isn't the fanciest of places, but the chance for my daughter to swim and work off some of the energy built up from a day in the car is great.

It then takes us about 5 hours travel time, although we will sometimes stop at the beach, or the Castillo in St. Augustine.

To answer your question, it is about 250 miles from Port Wentworth to Disney. If you miss rush hour, it should take about 4 hrs 30 mins (assuming you drive 75 mph and limited stops)

Port Wentworth? I do not see Port Wentworth listed on the site that supposedly shows the exits along I-95. I see Brunswick, but not Port Wentworth.

Port Wentworth is just west of Savannah, GA, close to Savannah International Airport. Its gonna be close to the South Carolina/Georgia border.

Greetings fellow Ohioan! :wave:

We like to stay at the Holiday Inn in Tifton, GA. Buffet b'fast included. Outdoor pool. 266 miles from Orlando.

If you like barbeque, I highly recommend stopping at JL's Barbeque in Macon. It is located off exit 3 of 475.

OOOPS! edited to add--I just reread and see that you are driving I-95. We go I-75.

We stayed in the Port Wentworth area and the Brunswick area. There are lots of hotels with indoor pools. Stop at the Georgia Welcome center and pick up a brochure. We got a great room rate from that visitors guide. (got that tip from the Dis boards).

We drove last year with a 9,6, and 2 yo and no tv. They all did great however I did spend a lot of the trip in the back next to the 2 yo. My oldest listened to Harry Potter on tape the whole way down (following along in the book). They played a lot of gameboy. I also had lots of other activities too. Get pipe cleaners. THey are cheap, lightweight and my kids found lots to do wtih them. For the rest stops, have bubbles for them to use. We also blew up a bag of balloons at one rest stop. The kids had a blast chasing them. That extra 15 mins at the rest stop helped alot.

Good luck.

We've driven from NE Ohio. We really like the Country Inn and Suites in Kingsland, Ga. It's just n. of the FL border. They have an indoor pool and free breakfast. It's about 3 hours from WDW. New place. Very clean. Many restaurants sharing the parking lot of the hotel.

corinascot said:
We've driven from NE Ohio. We really like the Country Inn and Suites in Kingsland, Ga. It's just n. of the FL border. They have an indoor pool and free breakfast. It's about 3 hours from WDW. New place. Very clean. Many restaurants sharing the parking lot of the hotel.

Ive had excellent luck with the Country inn chain as a whole. The hotels have a real "warm" feeling and the free breakfast's are usually pretty good (Although AmeriSuites has the best breakfasts by far!!)

We will be driving from central Ohio in June and someone else also suggested Country Inn in Kingsland. We want something in a safe area that is clean and not too pricey. If we do not make it this far South, Hardeeville SC (just North of Savannah GA I think) was another option but I do not know anything about this area.

We are also driving down from the cleveland area on 3/25. Where is Kingston, GA? We are scheduled to stop in Port Wentworth. How much further is Kingston?

Also is there any benefit of driving down I-75 instead of I-95? Do we need to worry about traffic in Florida on a Sunday morning?'

Thanks! I think we can all benefit from all of the info that is being shared.

I would not take 75 from Cleveland-I would rather drive through Charlotte and Jacksonville than Atlanta, Knoxville, and Cincinnati.

Should be no traffic worries in FL on a Sunday morning

tweedlewtwinsmama said:
We will be driving from central Ohio in June and someone else also suggested Country Inn in Kingsland. We want something in a safe area that is clean and not too pricey. If we do not make it this far South, Hardeeville SC (just North of Savannah GA I think) was another option but I do not know anything about this area.

Hardeeville SC is actually the exit off I-95 for Hilton Head Island, SC. Hardeeville is your average "exit town" with chain restaurants, tons of hotels, gas stations, convienence stores, etc... Fairly clean and safe, you should have no worries.

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards here, and am just in the very early planning stages of our May 2008 trip. Anyway, we were going to save up to fly down and rent a car, but reading this thread, I'm intrigued about driving. It would be me and DH, DS (8), DD (3 1/2) and DS (2).

So, how doable is driving with kids that age and would you even consider driving
straight through?

Thanks!

Many good ideas... thanks folks.

Hello OSUMouse... From one Buckeye to another.

We too are driving on 3/25. Hopeing to leave about 3:00 or 4:00 AM. Hopefully you do not take last hotel room whereever we stop. We are thinking of not making reservations... just driving til we've had enough. I would like to get to Kingsland area, but not sure if the 2yo can make it that long. Bubbles, balloons and pipe cleaners are great ideas.

Markiet-
We aren't leaving that early. We already have reservations in Port Wentworth, south of Savannah. I think I remember from there it is 5 hours or so. Our kids are a bit older DS5 and DS9, but never have traveled this long in a car. We hope to be at CSR early afternoon on SUnday. Traffic will be the factor. One week left!!! :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter