• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive from Disneyland to Sea World

djk

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting DL the first week of May and are considering spending one day at Sea World. MapQuest estimates the drive at 1 hour and 25 minutes. Does this sound pretty accurate, taking into consideration actual traffic conditions, etc.? We would probably leave Anaheim around 8 a.m. and leave San Diego around 5 p.m. (Sea World hours are 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. that week.)
Also, would you recommend any must-see or must-do quick stops along the way? A particular restaurant for breakfast or dinner? A beautiful or fun beach with easy access?

On a weekday, in rush hour? Figure at least 2 hours, more if there's a traffic incident. If you want to do breakfast in SD, consider leaving at 7:30 am to get ahead of traffic. It will increase your chances of making a 10am opening.

You should seriously consider delaying your times by an hour or an hour and a half. If you delay your times you will probably arrive at your destination at the same time due to rush hour traffic.

Leaving sd at 5 is going to be painful. Delay leaving. If they are like Disney they don't shove you out the door at 5. Be at the back of the park. Wander slowly towards the exit. If shops are open (I truly do no remember if they close immediately) peruse the shops. It's still not going to be fun hitting the road at 5:30 but it might help.

And leave for San Diego earlier than 8.

We are planning a day at seaworld also, same hours as the OP. We have free tickets that expire soon and don't want to pay another full price day to add a 7th at Disneyland. We are thinking of leaving disneyland area 8am on Sunday 4/12. We would head back at 4 or 5 pm. How would the traffic be on a Sunday? I can only imagine it is much better than during the week. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

We are planning a day at seaworld also, same hours as the OP. We have free tickets that expire soon and don't want to pay another full price day to add a 7th at Disneyland. We are thinking of leaving disneyland area 8am on Sunday 4/12. We would head back at 4 or 5 pm. How would the traffic be on a Sunday? I can only imagine it is much better than during the week. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Actually, weekend traffic to/from OC to SD can be much worse. Yesterday we drove from Irvine to Carlsbad, which is a little over half way to San Diego. It took 2 hours to get to our destination, and close to 90 minutes to get home. In normal conditions, this would take about an hour each way. You might be fine in the morning. But on a Sunday afternoon, you should plan on 2 to 3 hours to get back.

I think that enough school districts take the week after Easter off that I'd worry a little about extra traffic on the 12th. But I'll also say that I have family in SD and do the drive on holidays, and after Comic Con and we just prepare to spend 3-4 hours in the car getting back to LA and stop when we need to. It might not be worth the effort to avoid the difference between a 1 1/2 and 2 or 2 1/2 hour drive.

Traffic on the 5 freeway in San Diego county around camp Pendleton and south down to La Jolla (and Pacific beach in the summer) can be extremely bad on the weekend. Early morning on Sunday should not be that bad but afternoon traffic can be horrific. Problem is due to the marine base, we only have two north/south freeways in northern San Diego County for a whole lot people to travel on and we have lots of stuff/people going on here every weekend along the coast.

But once you get further south into the city we have lots of freeways and traffic usually moves good as long as it's not rush hour.

Thanks everyone, we are rethinking using those free Seaworld tickets and may opt for a day at the beach instead.

Traffic in to San Diego will be ok on a Sunday morning, but traffic back to the OC might be pretty rough on a Sunday afternoon/evening

We will be visiting DL the first week of May and are considering spending one day at Sea World. MapQuest estimates the drive at 1 hour and 25 minutes. Does this sound pretty accurate, taking into consideration actual traffic conditions, etc.? We would probably leave Anaheim around 8 a.m. and leave San Diego around 5 p.m. (Sea World hours are 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. that week.)
Also, would you recommend any must-see or must-do quick stops along the way? A particular restaurant for breakfast or dinner? A beautiful or fun beach with easy access?

If you are going on a weekday leave OC at 7. If you get to SD before 10 you can stop somewhere and get food or something, but I wouldnt plan on it. Heading back, grab some food in SD after the park closes. Maybe Phil's BBQ? its 5 minutes from SeaWorld. There are a ton of restaurants in the area. I wouldnt get on the 5 north until after 6:30

Traffic on the 5 freeway in San Diego county around camp Pendleton and south down to La Jolla (and Pacific beach in the summer) can be extremely bad on the weekend. Early morning on Sunday should not be that bad but afternoon traffic can be horrific. Problem is due to the marine base, we only have two north/south freeways in northern San Diego County for a whole lot people to travel on and we have lots of stuff/people going on here every weekend along the coast.

But once you get further south into the city we have lots of freeways and traffic usually moves good as long as it's not rush hour.

What do you think about making the drive at night after the park closes? So like maybe 10pm? I think I would rather not deal with traffic, stay up late and sleep in the next day.

What do you think about making the drive at night after the park closes? So like maybe 10pm? I think I would rather not deal with traffic, stay up late and sleep in the next day.

Unless there is a wreck or the border patrol has there immigration checkpoint open, the 5 should not be that bad then.

You could probably leave San Diego at 830 pm without issue. After Seaworld you could go out to eat at Pacific Beach down the road a couple of miles and watch the sunset on the beach before you drive back. If you wait a while traffic is usually not that bad.

And at Seaworld I highly recommend the Pets Rule show and the Dolphin show. They are fantastic. Also the Manta Rollercoaster and the Atlantis water ride. And a walk through the shark tube. My family loves Seaworld. We go a lot and it's always fun.

Last edited:
Have about Amtrak taking the strain and you having a relaxing trip down?
We have done it a few times, it works well.

We did this trip with a tour company back last month. Went to both Sea World and San Diego Zoo from Anaheim on a week day. Both times, trip up in a small tour van took about 1.5 hours, was a nice easy trip, got to sit back and watch the beautiful scenery...The way back...WOW...3.5 hours from Sea World due to Border Control and second time was 4.5 hours due to bad accident. From both venues we left round 5 - 5.30 pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter