Drive all night with older kids?

pinkprincess30

I may be addicted!
Hi DISers! It's been a while since our visit to DLR last May, and I'm already getting the itch to go again! We'll drive this time, from Oregon.

My question is, has anyone driven all night with OLDER kids? I see the wisdom with babies/toddlers, but I am wondering if this is wise with older kiddos (DS11, DS8, & DS7). I question them being comfotable enough to get some decent sleep, but it sure would be nice to knock out the 13 hour drive while they sleep for most of that. There are 5 of us total, and we will be driving a Suburban. Opinions?:confused3

To clarify: We will not attend the parks the following day, we will visit family first, get a GOOD night's rest, then go to DLR the next 4 days! Thanks everyone!

Hi DISers! It's been a while since our visit to DLR last May, and I'm already getting the itch to go again! We'll drive this time, from Oregon.

My question is, has anyone driven all night with OLDER kids? I see the wisdom with babies/toddlers, but I am wondering if this is wise with older kiddos (DS11, DS8, & DS7). I question them being comfotable enough to get some decent sleep, but it sure would be nice to knock out the 13 hour drive while they sleep for most of that. There are 5 of us total, and we will be driving a Suburban. Opinions?:confused3

Depends on the kids. Mine fall asleep if the car is moving. In fact whe they were old enough to drive it was a concern to me that they would fall asleep at the wheel

Hmmm...my big concern would be, will you really have the energy to handle a long day at the parks, and will the kids be cramped and crabby?

I think I would be more tempted to leave around 4, get there to enjoy an evening, and start refreshed in the morning. But, that's just with my crabby 12 year old.

I've done it with older kids. In fact, I prefer to drive while everyone else is asleep...I love the peace and quiet! However, with that said, I do agree with the person above me who suggested it really depends on how you two will be feeling. Even if you take turns driving, it won't be very restful, and you may find yourselves feeling a bit cranky during the day.

My husband's family (Mom, Dad, brother, sister and their children - in a motorhome) drove through the night from Oregon, and for them, it was a bit of a disaster. It set the tone for their week in the parks. They were all crabby towards one another, and were barely speaking to one another at the end. We know this because we too drove down to DL from Oregon, but spent the night at a hotel. We had an excellent week by contrast. I would error on the side of not starting your trip with tired children, but that's my 2 cents.

We've done the drive in a Dodge Durango and then in a mini van. But our kids are very, very used to car driving long distances due to a lot of competetive sports and travelling every weekend for those.

We are from Washington, so we always drive ten hours first day, stay in Stockton, CA and drive the rest the next day. Works for us and our kids do fine.

I think it depends on what kind of travellers your kids are in the first place.

Are any of the kids old enough to help out with the driving?

~~ I love you Phil, and you will forever be with me! Forever my very best and most special friend! I love you to no end. ~~

Strange days have found us
And through their strange hours we linger alone
Bodies confused
Memories misused
As we run from the day to a strange night of stone - The Doors​

I have a friend who drove down from Seattle to the Bay Area overnight. Got to Bay Area in the am, stayed in with friends overnight, then drove down the next day to OC. Next day, they did DL. Her kids were 7 & 4.

The day I saw them in the Bay Area, they seemed fine (right after their overnight drive). If you have a day of rest, I think you should go for it. However, only you really know how you/the driver/ your kids will be after a drive.

In my own case, I think DH & I would have a hard time staying awake at the wheel. The 5 is just sooooo boring! My kids would have no trouble sleeping in the car. Now a plane, that's another story....

Yes it depends on the kids. I have one son who is a worrier and would stay awake all night in fear that we would get in an accident. My other two kids wouldn't have a problem with it.

I could have done it in my 20's but now that I am in my mid 30's I like to drive with the sun shining.
Jen

I don't blame you for preferring to drive during the day, me too. We just all need to remember, that no matter what time of day, to be cautious of road conditions, the weather, bad, stupid or distracted drivers, or those that might be drunk or high on drugs.

~~ I love you Phil, and you will forever be with me! Forever my very best and most special friend! I love you to no end. ~~

Bodies confused
Memories misused

Sorry, did not mean to scare the OP. Just a reminder for all of us. Probably the only people that don't need that reminder are CHP officers.

Bodies confused
Memories misused

We have taken my cousins who are around the same age on trips. I make sure there are a few snakc or drinks inthe car. I let them bring an MP3 player, video games, book. Whatever to keep them distracted while they were not sleeping. Most of the time they sleep. I have done it in our Explorer, Expedtion and Charger. They find away to be comfy.

I drove 14 hours to New Orleans with my younger sister and our 15 yo niece in June. Most of it was at night as we left Kansas City at 2 pm. On the good side, there was NO traffic and we made really good time all things considered. Also, my niece did sleep for a decent chunk of the trip. Even when my niece wasn't sleeping she was too tired to want to chatter at me constantly, and pretty much just listened to her iPod and played with her PSP.

Bad parts were that even with the sleep she was definitely "moody" the next day (as in, by the time we got on the cruise ship I was ready to throw her overboard) and my darling sister also slept most of the drive, which meant I drove 12 of the 14 hours and got NO sleep (which might have factored into my wanting to toss my niece into the Mighty Mississippi). If you've got more than one adult you can trust to do their fair share of the driving and an off day planned once you get to your destination, you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter