• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drinking around the world??

lustergirl

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever did this in Epcot? I was talking to the hubby about trying to drink my way around the world this coming trip. The only alcohol I have ever had was 2 beers at the Germany pavillion- 2 very strong beers. I have read before about wine slushies at the French pavillion- anyone try these and have any suggestions to what drinks are good and can't be missed??

I mentioned the same thing here on the board and got a bunch of cr*P from people here. My goal is to do it in two nights once my son is in bed and it's just me and my wife (we are taking our au pair so we can hang out at night).

I think those German beers are super strong! I had 2 a few years ago and was nearly floored!

I did it when I was in college. To be fair, myself and another person shared many of the drinks, but I definitely saw Illuminations in a whole new way that night! :rotfl:

I could park myself in the UK pub all day because that's where my favorite beers are (Bass, Boddingtons, Stella Artois, Harps...). Don't miss the black and tans at Rose & Crown, and the mango margaritas in Mexico are outstanding. Have fun! :thumbsup2

I'm sure it can be done. I have not done it but there sure is a lot to drink. The only recommendataion I have would be to drink plenty of water in between since you will be outside in the Florida Sun and the alcohol can dehydrate very easily. Other than that, go for it but be safe. Maybe do it in a couple days as noted by a previous poster. I think the cost is around $100 to do a drink in every country.

I prefer the wheat beer inside the germany CS restaurant as opposed to the other ones in the beer cart. Also, the lemon slush drink in france is awesome.

We did this in May of 2006 and dident get to far :rotfl: we came up with the idea once we hit England and ordered each of us a yard cup of Harp Beer. after watching the bag pipers play and finishing our first one without any real trouble we went for the refill and made it to about the American Adventure before feeling some of the affects. But being the crazy Irish newlyweds we were we went for #3 on our way out of the park and let me tell you i was feeling no pain! All I remember was hubby buying me these Minnie ears and princess tiara and splashing around in the kids fountain having the best time of my life before walking completly soaked to the buses. I do not suggest this when your kids are around and we were fully aware that this is a family park and kept is under control but boy was it fun...

There is actually a couple of really good threads on here, search LOTW. What we decided to do was read through the many threads with descriptions and pics of drinks and choose a few we'd like to try in each area we'd be in.

its actualyly easier during the food and wine festival as you can get smaller portioned drinks (although there are more booths to hit!!)

we have done this but not all on the same day or it becomes a very LONG day. pace yourself. drink lots of water in between. My DH prefers the beer in Norway. I like the mexico margaritas. we usually stretch it out over two or possibly three days of the trip. esp. now that we have kids!!

Plan to eat during your trip around the world. Get small snacks as you go. Consider sharing drinks because there is a LOT of drinks.

One drink that I had over Labor Day weekend (not drinkinga round the world but at the world) was from the new tea stand in China. I do not like tea at all. But it was hot and I needed something refreshing so I gave it a whirl. They have a peach oolong tea schnapps slush and a green tea plum wine slush for $5.99 each. My husband got me the schnapps one and I thought he'd be drinking most of it. Wrong - I loved it, didn't really taste tea in it and it wasn't that strong (I am not a hard liquor person). It's a beer cup size drink and the server will make sure you know that it is an alcoholic drink. They also have non alcoholic tea slushes too.

For wine - the wine celler in Germany is very good and you can taste a sample before you get a glass. In France, we found the inside wine place better than the kiosk outside. Better selection. The kiosk does have champagne and Royal Kirs, though.

There's hot or cold saki in Japan at the Kaki Gori stand.

For food and drink - Lotus Blossom Cafe has two egg rolls for $3.99 and plum wine that compliments those perfectly for $4.49. I think that's the only way you can actually drink the stuff - with food.

I think I'm going to get a hangover just talking about those!

I mentioned the same thing here on the board and got a bunch of cr*P from people here.

Sorry for that. I think people hear "drinking" and automatically think of falling down drunks and inappropriate behavior in front of their kids. I drink at Disney World. My husband actually was able to address the Cast Members at theMoosehead cart in Canada by name for a while. Everyone knows their limits and everyone knows if they are going to fell rotten the next day.

My favorite drinks around the world are the Fiesta margarita (all the flavors swirled together), in Mexico, the Bellini's (Peach puree and champagne) in Italy, and the Grey Goose Lemon slushies in France. My husbands favorites are a yard of Harp in England and a beer/pretzel combo in Germany. The world showcase is one of my favorite places in the world to get a drink and walk around, I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever beverage you choose.

My only advice is know when to say when... that bus ride back to your resort can be a very loooonng one (longer then usual;) ) after drinking around the world!
I tried it the last time I was there. I didn't get to far. It was super hot that day and the one margarita I had in Mexico just about knocked me on my butt! I needed a serious nap that day!!

I plan on doing it again this year, but I am waiting until after the sun goes down and making a night of it. Looking forward to trying the Tea in China someone above mentioned, so I will start with that one incase I can't make it very far in my quest :headache:

So, from what I've read so far.... the best way to go about this is either: drag it out over several days, or split drinks. Or both.:thumbsup2
I guess I'll just have to see how far I can get around the world!

My hubby just did this on our trip 2 weeks ago. My liver is not quite as strong as his, but god bless him he did it.

We spread it out over the whole day. As soon as the world showcase was open we started slowly strolling through the countries. He got one beverage from every country except for Italy. We just took our time in each country to explore and also had lots of water. We ate intermittently, and had a great time. By the time 8:00 had rolled around he had managed to drink in all the countries. I was impressed he still maintained the ability to walk straight and hold a conversation. He never did look obviously drunk at any time, we just went slow and that helped. I only sampled alcohol in 2-3 of the countries... keep cool and drink water! We also had the rule that if he ever acted funny I held the right to cut him off at any time.

oooh, and bring some excedrin for the next morning. :lmao:

We are going 11/29-12/5 so extreme heat won't be an issue... I would hope that my original post wouldn't be a problem for anyone as I am an adult traveling with just my hubby this time around and my 2 sons (who are teenagers) are staying home with grandma. Thanks everyone for the suggestions though and I will definitely try the tea in China- sounds delicious!!

One more suggestion - drink plenty of water. Alcohol will dry you out and the leading cause of not feeling well the next day is dehydration which, of course, you don't realize when you are enjoying yourself. So keep that water coming (the best non alcoholic drink to hydrate yourself) and drink a big glass or a full bottle of water before you go to bed.

Have fun
its a great time and yes its a lot to drink
It normally takes us all day, plus we do the buffet in Germany for some down time...pace yourself and know if you cant finish

My group can do it but we are old UF grads (go gators) and Navy boys :rolleyes1 Dont forget to take pictures

I've done it a few times. heh.

If you're going to do it in one day, it's best done in a team. Go with friends, share the drinks, drink lots of water, make sure you eat before starting, start early, and try to not mix too much.

Most important tip: Ride Mission Space, Test Track and Soarin BEFORE you start!

We play with house rules. A drink must be obtained from each country. A player does not have to drink anything in the country they are from unless they really want to, which lets some of us skip the American beers. We leave no alcohol behind but don't force anyone to finish anything. If you hate it you can pass your drink to another player. I think 4 people is just about right, it's enough that everyone has fun but not so much that we're ridiculous.

Be safe and have fun. It is a really good way to sample some beers and wines that you'd never get at home.

So, from what I've read so far.... the best way to go about this is either: drag it out over several days, or split drinks. Or both.:thumbsup2
I guess I'll just have to see how far I can get around the world!

It can be done in one day! I did this in February with a group(around 7 of us) and we had a ball. Like many people have said here, be sure to eat along the way. While the food will not absorb the alcohol in your system it will slow down the effects.
We started in England and then made our way through all of the countries. The rule was no more than one drink in each country. I, of course, had all intentions of only sticking to beer but then saw the Grand Marnier Slushie in France and that plan went out the window. From there I had saki in Japan, wine in Italy, a margarita in Mexico, etc. None of us were drunk or out of control....just nicely relaxed. We watched Illuminations while finishing our margaritas and then headed out. Truly one of the most fun times we have ever had at Epcot. Good Luck!

Hubby and I did it last September, on an evening when my parents stayed behind with our kids. We started at Mexico and we each had a margarita. After that, we shared most drinks and ate at the Biergarten, which gave us a little break. (Of course, my husband just had to order the Beer Flight while there, and I "helped" him drink it.)

While we were feeling a very pleasant buzz, we were in no way sloppy or obnoxious. I think that if you're only going to be there for 4 hours or so, as we were, sharing is the way to go. If we had been able to start earlier in the day, we each would've ordered our own drink everywhere.

No matter which way you decide to do it, have a blast!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter