Drinking Around the World Tips & Tricks?

RubyLane88

Earning My Ears
My guy and I will be heading to WDW on our honeymoon from June 4-10, 2016! We are wanting to attempt to Drink Around the World Showcase, but it seems truly daunting! Thankfully, we are staying at BoardWalk Inn so we won't be incredibly far from our resort!

Any old pros have any good stories, tips, experiences to share?

Last trip my friend and I drank/snacked around the world, meaning we alternated drinks and snack food. I recommend doing that so you don't get completely hammered, though of course rules are meant to be broken so if there's anything you particularly want to try at any of the countries you should definitely go for it.

Let me see if I can remember what we had...

Mexico - Kicked it off with a tequila flight at the margarita bar, which is a tradition of ours. Sooo good! Best tequilas I've ever had.
Norway - School bread.
China - I think we just had a Chinese beer. There was nothing here that particularly appealed or stood out to us.
Germany - I had a brat and my friend had a snack from the confectionery and we both had the grapefruit beer.
Italy - We had a great wine and cheese plate at the wine cellar restaurant. It was a beautiful setting and so nice to sit and relax for a while.
France - Such good ice cream! We had already had pastries for breakfast that day. Didn't have anything to drink here.
United States - We just walked through, there wasn't anything we wanted.
Japan - Mmm, sake!
Morocco - We were starting to get a little full and decided there wasn't anything snackable enough so it was a walk through.
United Kingdom - It was time for Illuminations when we made it here, so we watched that on a pavilion behind Rose and Crown and then went in to cap off our night. We both had beer and I had fish and chips.
Canada - I'm afraid we never made it! We decided next time we'll start on the Canada side to make up for it.

That was a very fun way to spend an afternoon/evening.

We do this every year when we go, its really fun! Here are our tips....
Start early and pace yourself.
Eat a little, often (think apps)
Do not try to include Food & Wine booths (or Flower & Garden) until you are a pro...
Try to stick to one type of alcohol instead of mixing beer, wine and spirits.
Don't yell or throw up on other peoples children (yes it has happened to some)
Have a blast!! It will be a great time. :drinking1

I've only done it properly one time, with my best friend from college, and we shared drinks. At the end of the night one of us was plastered and the other was in Drunk Mom-Friend mode (i.e. "Okay, we can go to Magic Kingdom with these random strangers who you've chosen to be your new lifelong buddies or we can go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter tomorrow. NOT BOTH, SUSAN.")
So my advice is: know when to say when. And have fun!

Also don't be this guy. The vlog starts slow, but there's a great reveal.

We found the trick was just to take our time.
We started in Canada when Showcase opened, watched Oh Canada then enjoyed a beer.
Then it was Beers again in UK with some fish and chips (we were toasting our rival football team staying down a league and UK seemed the spot to do it!)
Glass of red wine and some ice cream in France
Cocktail in Morocco (it didnt seem very moroccan but what can you do!)
I think it was a shot of Sake in Japan
A little cool off (nap) in American Adventure and a beer
It then started to rain, so it was more wine in Italy under what little cover we could find
Germany it got a little racier, and it was Jagermeister shots!
China i had the Tipsy Duck cocktail, which is amazing.
Then Norway we had shots of Aquavit, and the CM was so delighted we were trying it we got two more free of charge.
Heads were getting a little hazy at this point!
Mexico we finished with a beer and a margarita and then dinner at San Angel Inn.

All in all we probably spent a good 7 hours doing it and i think that's why we managed to do it without being silly drunks or failing.
Or it could be the Scottish blood of course!

Next year we'll be doing it again but adding in the F&G kiosks too!

I've given up trying to do it all in one day. I think my problem has been in not allowing enough time to properly pace myself. On our last 2 trips my partner and I have split it up over a 24 hour period, starting one evening and hitting about 7 countries, and then returning the next day for a bit of a late lunch and then finishing our quest. It has worked well for us.

My husband and I do this on every trip, as well as Monorail Drink a Thon. Here are our tips:
1. Definitely share drinks (my favorite way is with two couples sharing drinks, so we can repeat the few we love and we don't get plastered.);
2. If you can, do it over two days (if you can do this, alternate countries so you have more time to enjoy the beverage before you get to the next location);
3. Get the fun, personalized passports online. They are cheap ($2.99) and a fun way to keep track. Search Drink Around the World Showcase online or on Facebook. They are available for Monorail Drink a Thon and for Snacks in the World Showcase;
4. Enjoy each country - do the exhibits (though some won't let you bring drinks), and take photos wearing the traditional hats;
5. Favorite Drinks:
Mexico - Love the margaritas in La Cava (I love the jalapeno)
Norway - Beer
China - One of the tea drinks at the kiosk on the promenade (they do tend to be sweet, however - definitely share!)
CoolPost - Beer
Germany - Beer or a wine flight
Italy - Stop in the wine bar for a flight, and have a nice appetizer
US - Craft beer
Japan - Saki tasting
Morocco - Beer
France - Citron Slushie
UK - Beer (Pub Blends)
Canada - Beer
6. When snacking, skip sweet snacks and load up on protein. The sugar in snacks and liquor combined will really wring one out!

My mom and I did this for my first post-21 Disney trip. Biggest tips are to start right at 11 in Mexico at La Cava with a margarita (boy are those strong), take it slow and make friends!
Plan to stop for snacks, Italy has a great wine bar with appetizers as does Morocco and you can split a wine flight there and get some much needed AC.
We did skip America but made up for it with spending 2 hours at the sake bar in Japan where we met a hilarious German guy named Dix who we ran into at the end of the night at Rose and Crown.
We had fastpasses for Illuminations so we grabbed our last beer, Unibroue Ephemere at the cart in Canada and ran right into the roped off section as the show started.
Take into account how hot it will be and find shade and AC as often as you can and byob(of water)
Cheers!

Pro tip: For another time most likely, or if you're ending in Mexico, if you hit La Cava when they're closing they usually give away their pre-poured tequila flights to the last 5 or so people in line

Wow! These are great! The whole alternating snacks and drinks may work best... my guy doesn't drink a whole lot!

My son will be turing 21 two days prior and wants to try this! And, wants me to join! Oh no not sure about it. Maybe over 3 days!!

Take plenty of breaks in the AC & drink Lots of water! Every time you go to a full service bar or a QS, get an ice water to go. Breaks can be browsing in shops, attractions in WS or just find a shaded area & sit for a while. There are spots like the small museums in Japan, America or Norway or the little prayer room in Morocco. Those can be nice if you need more of a quiet break since rarely are there many people there.

I guess you could say I wouldn't be very good at this, when today I had half of a beer and my head felt a little funny. :D I'm not a big drinker, so my tolerence is, well, not very high LOL

I think it sounds like a fun idea, if kept sane and moderate, with a meal before and perhaps a few snacks along the way in between. :jester:

Personally I have a quite different approach, and please note that I respect each and everyone's own decisions. :earsboy:

But for me Drinking and Disney don't mix. I do have an occasional drink at home if I go out for a meal or socialize with close friends. :rainbow:

But never at Disney! And why?
- Because of the kids and my own genuine deep appreciation for the Disney experience.

Let me explain. :earsboy:

Kids see grown up intoxicated so often as it is, in their own town at many other vacation destinations and last but not the least even in their own family, for many children that is a cruel reality...

So when at Disney the visit should be happy and magical. Not just in the theme patks, but everywhere.

And once again, I am not by any means judging anyone else for their decision, but I at least am never going to be just another "strange adult" they see, acting a bit off or is just a bit too loud. Children are so sensitive and pick up so much from their surroundings.

And then for a, perhaps more egoistic reason, I just want my Disney experience to be as clear and vivid as possible! Not clouded by the least of lightheadedness or an occasional lower judgment in any situation. :earsboy:

But hey! Go for it, and keep it cool. I'm sure it will be quite some fun. I really mean it, and I've had many awesome interactions with fellow guests that have enjoyed a glass or two. Quite a few good laughs and sharing the evening in great company. :smooth:

/ Fuzzylife75 :earsboy:
(Jonas_Swe)

I did this back in 2009 with a group of three friends. We brought hand made printed passports (which I cannot find a pic of) and made these shirts. Needless to say, they were a good conversation starter! Staying hydrated was definitely key. Each alcoholic drink was followed by a glass of water and we definitely snacked along the way. We tried to stay to less sugary drinks whenever possible and brought along Pepto Bismol with us just in case.

1937042_158470693330_7838199_n.jpg

I did this back in 2009 with a group of three friends. We brought hand made printed passports (which I cannot find a pic of) and made these shirts. Needless to say, they were a good conversation starter! Staying hydrated was definitely key. Each alcoholic drink was followed by a glass of water and we definitely snacked along the way. We tried to stay to less sugary drinks whenever possible and brought along Pepto Bismol with us just in case.

1937042_158470693330_7838199_n.jpg
That looks and sounds like a great idea for a fun time around WS! :jester:

And a very responsible approach too. :smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter