Drinking Around the World tips and strategies?

Madame Minnie

Earning My Ears
Hi all! Next week I will be celebrating my 21st birthday at EPCOT, and I fully intend to attempt to drink around the world. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to go about it as far as the order, which drinks to try, etc. Keeping in mind, my dinner ADR is at Chefs de France. Thanks in advance!

My favorite drink is the italian margarita. You can get it at the kiosk right outside the Italian pavilion. You will probably want several once you try it.

Other drinks to try: The slushies at France, the beer at Germany, the margaritas at Mexico, the cider at England. There is also a tequila bar at Mexico. You might want to do small snacks while you're drinking as well and then you'll be able to drink more.

Advice from a mother of 22 and 24 year olds - please keep pace eating in relation to the alcoholic beverages.

Highly sugary drinks add to 'after effects' in a not beneficial way - and I'm sure you must know the hints about jumping around in alcohol content in your drinks and the rhymes that go with them

Go for ambiance - Rose & Crown, La Cava (when are they going to open that 'new' margarita bar in Mexico?), there are often bar areas in the countries

And just to Harp on it (pun) - some of the best and most authentic bartenders in all of Epcot are found in the Rose & Crown pub

Get a refillable popcorn bucket for $10 filled, refills are $1.50 - great snack for drinking (I know it is avaiailable and refillable at a cart in Canada) it is most likely refillable in other places in Epcot

Pick 'authentic' drinks for the area - get the Canadian beer in Canada, etc

And my best advice - split 'around the world' over at least 2 days and don't ruin your vacation

have some one not drinking drive you home and able to keep an eye on you so you do not do anything stupid. ( you know the guy that climbed Mexico a few years back)

First have a DD (which if you are staying on property could be your resort bus driver!). Given where you are eating...I would start with UK, then Canada, Mexico, etc. in that direction ending in France for Dinner. While you will backtrack slightly I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Pace yourself...food and water are good friends to have that day.

Don't finish every drink, eat along the way, drink lots of water, start out with a good layer of sunscreen in the morning, start as early as you can muster, and be sure to have a designated sober chaperone (and driver if you aren't using the Disney buses).

Unless you are already a pretty heavy drinker - think about it. How many times do you have 11 servings of alcohol in one day? And if its hot and sunny - that can really make you less tolerate.

I'm no prude - I like to drink - but I also hate to feel sick from too much alcohol. If I were attempting this - I'd probably drink about half of each selection (especially early on so I would know I could make it to the end) and toss the rest (or share it with someone).

Start early & pace yourself. Don't force yourself to finish all 11 countries if you aren't feeling well as the day goes on.
Having a big dinner on the same day as drinking around the world may be too much for one day.

-Start as soon as World Showcase opens at 11am. This is beneficial to finishing all the countries. One time for my birthday I started around 5pm and had to stop after my 7th country because it was 9pm and they were closing shop.

-Plan to spend about $115 to complete all the countries. This only includes drinks and not snacks

-eat snacks along the way and drink water. You don't want to dehydrate yourself especially in this Florida heat. So keep water flowing and snacks here and there

-Finish your entire drink and try to get drinks that are specific to that country.

-Don't go overboard. You can get tanked trying to drink around the world. You don't want to end your night puking

It is going to be hot next week, so be careful. It is much more dangerous than drinking in your local bar.

The most important advice is to train for it. That is a lot of alcohol for the uninitiated. If you haven't been able to train for the heavy lifting, start early and limit yourself to one drink per hour for as long as you can. This allows your liver to keep up with your alcohol consumption.

Have fun! My wife and I will be in Epcot on Monday. Should be a blast.

ETA - Found my new favorite alcoholic beverage at WDW yesterday - the Kahlua milk shake at Hollywood Studios. Yum

I cannot believe it but apparently math tells me that my son will turn 21 next month and this is one of the first things he wants to do :D
So we are planning a day just for this, we will split drinks (better for our pockets and bodies) and my daughter, again, believe it or not, will have her drivers license so she will be our designated driver.
After all my years here in Orlando and visiting the parks I have never done the drink around the world thing, so it should be interesting to say the least. My sister is also coming with so I doubt we will get too tipsy

Last edited:
Our strategy for Drinking Around The World is as follows...

1. Do it in a pair/couple. We split each drink between 2 people. That can be alot of alchol for one person to intake alone, esp if your tolerance isn't high. You don't want to end up fall out drunk by country 3-4

2. We alternate countries for drink and food. So if you start in Mexico w/ a drink, in Norway have snack/food. Then a drink in China, food/snack in Germany and so on. Once you finish all the pavilions in this order, then we go back around a second time and do the opposite drink/food per country. So you ultimately go around World Showcase twice, having a drink and food in each country, but I'm not quite sure how that will work for you having a dinner ADR. We usually skip a sit down meal when we drink around the world because we want the snacks/food through out the day to help keep us from getting to sloshed.

Good luck to you! Drinking around the world is a right of passage!

Bring ID, and if you're from out of the US, you NEED your passport!

-Do multiple loops around WS, first loop, start in Canada, get your drink, explore the pavilion, take some pictures, CONTINUE with said drink through UK, explore, etc, maybe meet a character, get a drink in France next (ie, repeat this with every second country, so that you're not chugging back drinks to finish them in time)
-Snack your way through WS as well, popcorn in canada, a treat from the bakery in France, sushi i Japan, a cheese plate from Germany, etc
-Opt for the Grapefruit beer in Germany, it's only 2% so it'll help you complete the challenge without upping the alcohol percent (that being said, be careful of the Fin Du Monde in Canada, it's 10%, and depending how you work it you might start or try to end with it)
-SHARE DRINKS
-In Germany, go through the shops on the left (caramel side) at the very back is a little wine shop, they've got super cheap wine flights & cheese plates!
-Take some time sitting at the bars chatting with the bartenders, it keeps you inside the a/c, and sitting for a while well you finish your drinks (Mexico, Germany, Italy, Morocco, UK all have indoor bars)

As for drink recommendations:
Canada: La Fin Du Monde, triple style golden ale w/hints of citrus, super good, SUPER high percentage, so be careful
UK: Welsh Dragon for cocktail, or a cider w/black currant syrup in it
France: Grand Marnier Slush for something sweet, or Mimosa's for something not so sweet
Morocco: I stick with Sangria here
US: Beer, or I skip it tbh
Japan: Frozen beer, Sake or there's some kind of colada/slush drink in the drink booth across from Teppan Edo!
Italy: Rosa Regale sparkling wine, or Espresso Martini
Germany: Grapefruit Beer, or wine flight
Outpost: Safari amber beer
Mexico: Avocado margarita, cucumber margarita

Be smart, safe, and nice to cast members and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter