Drink Station Etiquette

Please ALWAYS wash your hands. Like others have said you can use a paper towel to turn off the faucet amd open the door. And wash with soap, using only water does nothing. The one main reason germs are spread are from soiled and unwashed hands. Gross!!

We were on the Wonder last week. You don't have to manually turn faucets on and off. Put your contaminated hands under the faucet and the water will magically appear! Soap 'em up real good. Remove your now soaking wet but clean paws and Bingo!...the water stops. Dry them under the Disney Magical Automatic Hot Air Drying System. Then grab a paper towel to open the restroom door and deposit said towel in the official Disney Waste Disposal canister.
By the way, the Wonder was beautiful and our cruise was as perfect as one could expect!

I'm not going to get involved with the whole germs or no germs thing from using a reusable cup, but I will say I fell in love with lemonade mixed with iced tea on our last cruise. I had never thought of that before (just dense I guess) :)

I'm not going to get involved with the whole germs or no germs thing from using a reusable cup, but I will say I fell in love with lemonade mixed with iced tea on our last cruise. I had never thought of that before (just dense I guess) :)

It's called an Arnold Palmer! ;)

Im drinking that right now actually, first time. And yes its great! I never thought of that before either. :confused3

Exactly why I use my knuckle to press the button!!!!!

I also don't wash my hands in the bathrooms; I use a paper towel to open the door, and then use my portable hand sanitizer once I'm out.

I'm not a germaphobe, but on the ship...maybe I am a little.

Please don't do this!! It is much worse than washing your hands with soap and water. Using hand sanitizer only will not clean your hands at all! You are being much less of a germaphobe than you think you are being.

Yikes. It scares me how uninformed people are about hand sanitizer. It is NOT the end all be all. In fact, it's not that good at all.

Things splash UP too. It's no offense to you, but I don't want to think of how the people have washed their cups, just to have pop splash back up on to the dispenser. New is new. The End. Blah... :sick::crazy2:

Okay I have to ask. If this were truly any kind of issue than why would Disney bother be actively promoting the sale of refillable mugs in the park? The logic is missing from your post.

Exactly why I use my knuckle to press the button!!!!!

I also don't wash my hands in the bathrooms; I use a paper towel to open the door, and then use my portable hand sanitizer once I'm out.

I'm not a germaphobe, but on the ship...maybe I am a little.

First off, you should know how much it pains me to "sound like my parents", but I'm going to anyway...

If you are already using paper towels to open bathroom doors (which I totally do myself), then for the love of all that is good in this world, you can (and should) also use them to turn faucets on and off and to push the button to get soap from the dispenser.

Sanitizer is good, but doesn't kill a good percentage of what soap, water and vigorous hand rubbing does. Just as an fyi, here's the link to the Center for Disease Control fact sheet on keeping your hands clean on a cruise.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/keepingyourhandscleanonacruise.pdf

"If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 62% ethanol. Hand sanitizers do not get rid of all types of germs."

Okay I have to ask. If this were truly any kind of issue than why would Disney bother be actively promoting the sale of refillable mugs in the park? The logic is missing from your post.

That's actually a really good point. Considering all the mugs at the resorts the "mug washing" station is just a rinse was a bit grossed out by watching people bringing used mugs from the night before and knowing they dont have sinks or soap in the room.

Agree why wouldn't you wash your hands you can use the papertowel to turn the water off and one to open the door.

I see no issue using a refillable cup with a push button dispenser. The risk of germs spreading from the cup this way is extermely minimal. The germs are spread through pressing the button. The rule of not using a reusable cup dates back to the cup lever dispensers. All most every fast food place and self serve resturant uses them and people are expected to use the same cup. As a PP mentioned, it is encourged at the resorts. I use a refillable cup on the ship because of the environmental impact of all those paper cups and plastic straws being used. It makes me cringe. I wish DCL provided every guest with a reusable cup to use.

Nothing replaces washing your hands with soap and water and the sanitizing towels Disney hands out before the dining rooms do not kill the norovirus. I wash my hands before every meal and don't feel the need to use a sanitizing towel less than a minute later. Washing is so much more effective.

Much like other issues in this board, why must there be a debate over what's right/wrong, better or not, stupid or brilliant! The issue is simple, the cruise line asks their guest to "follow a guideline". There is no cost or inconvenience to the guest (they give you as many cups as you need to refill the tiniest or largest of drink containers). For the sake and enjoyment of ALL guests, please just do what is asked by DCL!

Nothing replaces washing your hands with soap and water and the sanitizing towels Disney hands out before the dining rooms do not kill the norovirus. I wash my hands before every meal and don't feel the need to use a sanitizing towel less than a minute later. Washing is so much more effective.

And how do they react to this? I have always wondered. I am neurotic about washing my hands thoroughly before every meal with soap and water. I do NOT want to use a towelette to wipe them right after that, nor am I okay with being "forced" to by the cruise line.

I see no issue using a refillable cup with a push button dispenser. The risk of germs spreading from the cup this way is extermely minimal. The germs are spread through pressing the button. The rule of not using a reusable cup dates back to the cup lever dispensers. All most every fast food place and self serve resturant uses them and people are expected to use the same cup. As a PP mentioned, it is encourged at the resorts. I use a refillable cup on the ship because of the environmental impact of all those paper cups and plastic straws being used. It makes me cringe. I wish DCL provided every guest with a reusable cup to use.

Agree on the hand washing 100% thinking about that is way grosser than the cups for spreading germs.

But as for the cups fast food places provide those are disposable, but my concern isn't even as much for the germs passing to the dispenser it's how do you reuse the same mug/cup for over a week without washing it

Exactly why I use my knuckle to press the button!!!!! I also don't wash my hands in the bathrooms; I use a paper towel to open the door, and then use my portable hand sanitizer once I'm out. I'm not a germaphobe, but on the ship...maybe I am a little.

Yuck!

That's actually a really good point. Considering all the mugs at the resorts the "mug washing" station is just a rinse was a bit grossed out by watching people bringing used mugs from the night before and knowing they dont have sinks or soap in the room. Agree why wouldn't you wash your hands you can use the papertowel to turn the water off and one to open the door.

Believe it or not my husband actual brings a small container of dish detergent and a scrubbing pad so we can wash our mugs out in the sink in the room every day on the ship...lol

I can't recall, but do the CMs wear gloves when they try to hand you those wipes as you go through buffet area to pool lol

And how do they react to this? I have always wondered. I am neurotic about washing my hands thoroughly before every meal with soap and water. I do NOT want to use a towelette to wipe them right after that, nor am I okay with being "forced" to by the cruise line.
I can normally slip around them and avoid it all together. Sometimes I just take the wipe and throw it away and sometime I simply say, I just washed my hands and they don't push it.
Agree on the hand washing 100% thinking about that is way grosser than the cups for spreading germs.

But as for the cups fast food places provide those are disposable, but my concern isn't even as much for the germs passing to the dispenser it's how do you reuse the same mug/cup for over a week without washing it
I wash my cup everynight. Before a cruise, I cut up paper towels, wet them and add dish soap. I then let them dry and pack them. I re-wet one each night and I use it to wash the dishes.

I can normally slip around them and avoid it all together. Sometimes I just take the wipe and throw it away and sometime I simply say, I just washed my hands and they don't push it.

That's good to know. On the more recent RCL cruises I've been on, they try to force you to use hand sanitizer on your way into the buffet. They have gotten rather pushy with me before, and I do not appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter