Dressing down of society...

Minimum for legality... If we all aimed a little higher, the world would be a nicer place.

Do you all only require your children to do what it takes to make a passing grade in school or do you ask more of them?
I don't have kids but that's a totally different issue. Grades can affect an individual's entire future. I don't think how they dress when they stop in at Olive Garden one day on their way home from an athletic event is going to affect their entire future.

To all of you who think it doesn't matter a whit how you present yourself, how did you dress for your last job interview? Did you take into account how someone presented themselves when you last interviewed someone for a job?

Even if you don't want something out of somebody (like a job), shouldn't you still take pride in how you present yourself?

I would rather sit next to someone at Olive Garden thats in workout clothes than someone thats 50 pounds plus overweight, personally that bothers me more.. Obesity is a real problem in this country that affects us all, this thread is nothing but snipping about a meaningless topic.

Should places also not allow fat people so I am not upset??? Of course not...

The difference is that there is an objective measurement of "better" in the case of schoolwork. .

I was thinking along the same lines. I could easily see where someone being out living life to the fullest, participating in sports, having spur of the moment meals with friends could be seen as living "their best life." When I compare that to someone who would go home to shower and change first, missing the party, well, that just seems kind of sad. Definitions of better vary by circumstance.

My intent is to simply state my opinion and see what other's opinion is. i.e. have a discussion.

My intent is to simply state my opinion and see what other's opinion is. i.e. have a discussion.

But you are not "simply stating" your opinion. If that was your intent you wouldn't keep replying to others who disagree with you, trying to get them to come over to your point of view.

And as for going home to shower and change after an athletic event, BEFORE going to a casual restaurant like Olive Garden to eat, I just can't imagine it. Most teams are on a bus, or vans. It just makes sense for them to stop and eat after the game, and THEN take them on back to the school to meet up with their parents to be taken home.

To all of you who think it doesn't matter a whit how you present yourself, how did you dress for your last job interview? Did you take into account how someone presented themselves when you last interviewed someone for a job?

Even if you don't want something out of somebody (like a job), shouldn't you still take pride in how you present yourself?

How do you know they don't?

I never said it doesn't matter a whit on how you present yourself, I just said it doesn't matter to me how one presents themself. I also don't assume that just because someone happens to leave the gym and stop in the Olive Garden for a quick dinner they would also go to a job interview in his/her gym clothes. Even if they did, its not for me to care, its up to their prospective employer.

Minimum for legality... If we all aimed a little higher, the world would be a nicer place.

Do you all only require your children to only do what it takes to make a passing grade in school or do you ask more of them?

The two are not even close. First, the thread is asking about how we think other people dress, not how we would dress. I of course dress above the minimum for legality but I don't care if anyone else shoots that high. To make your analogy consistent it should be "would you want other people's children to only do the minimum to make a passing grade". My answer would be the same, I could care less what grade someone else's child gets at school, I care about my child's grades, full stop.

Again with the job interview question, I do dress appropriately for the job but don't care if anyone else shows up to the interview wearing only one strategically placed sock.

I also doubt that wearing mesh shorts in a below par Italian restaurant is as life altering as school grades or job interviews.

This is one of those situations where no one is hurting anyone by their actions so you do what you do and I'll do what I do. I don't think there are any ill health effects from second hand under dressing.

we are not talking about a job interview. I thought we were talking about dinner at the Olive Garden. Not even remotely possible to equate the two.

Not equal in the sense that how you dress for a job interview should be how you dress for dining at Olive Garden. But equal in the sense that some amount of effort should be put into how you present yourself in both situations.

How about this. Do you send your children to school in the dirty, sweaty play clothes from yesterday?

I still don't understand how you are equating the amount of effort put into dressing for a job interview v. dinner at Olive Garden. And now we're dragging kids in yesterday's clothes into the argument? I'm afraid you have left the original discussion completely and forged ahead into a whole new and unrelated can of worms.

Society is becoming more casual, more self centered and more entitled. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

There is a big difference between dressing casually and dressing appropriately. There is nothing wrong with dressing down, there is something wrong with dressing inappropriately. It's the same as keeping conversations at a reasonable level and not picking your nose. It shows respect for those around you. But, as always, there will be people who feel it doesn't matter that they're out in public. Their wants and desires out weigh the need need for common courtesy and everyone else can just ignore their bad behavior or go home.

I was raised to believe that how I present myself says more about how I perceive others than how I want to be perceived. Dressing appropriately says I think those around me are worthy of consideration. This could be where the comment about dressing for an interview came from. This doesn't mean you need to dress up, just appropriate to the situation. I have also always believed that class wasn't a monetary concept, it was an attitude.

I'm hoping for a return to the good old days:

golf003.jpg
ba_uc_fashion.jpg

Can't abide by these women today wearing PANTS, or showing some ankle! Outrageous!

My riding team used to go out to eat after every show. We'd go straight from the show to the restraunt, wearing our riding attire, though generally we'd remove the jacket and replace it with a hoodie or something of that nature. We went to Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Outback, a buffet place.. and countless other places. We never got an off look. This is about how we'd dress.. Would you look at us weird?

TS00021-a.jpg

My riding team used to go out to eat after every show. We'd go straight from the show to the restraunt, wearing our riding attire, though generally we'd remove the jacket and replace it with a hoodie or something of that nature. We went to Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Outback, a buffet place.. and countless other places. We never got an off look. This is about how we'd dress.. Would you look at us weird?

TS00021-a.jpg

Not me:thumbsup2. I'm a riding instructor and we show up like that to restaurants all the time. Coincidentally my last job interview was in jeans and muck boots for a management position (barn manager). I was hired.

This doesn't mean you need to dress up, just appropriate to the situation. I have also always believed that class wasn't a monetary concept, it was an attitude.

But what some posters appear to be missing is that it may simply be their OPINION that Olive Garden merits more formal attire than McDonalds.

Some of us merely pointed out that we don't consider Olive Garden and McDonalds THAT far apart. My personal attire for both would obviously be way higher than some of the freakish examples listed, but I don't know that I would be MORE offended by people dressed that way at Olive Garden than I would at McDonalds. They'd be bound to catch my eye one way or the other. :scared1:

I think it would be wrong to assume that anybody equating McDonalds and Olive Garden approves of gross attire there or anywhere else, therefore contributing to the downfall of society. Maybe we just object to Olive Garden being held out as some kind of fine dining establishment.

TS00021-a.jpg
I wouldn't (although I would take the helmet off and not carry the crop ;) )

TS00021-a.jpg

If you were covered with dirt and sweat and had horse poop on your boots, then, yes, I would consider that inappropriate.

If you are wearing the outfit in the picture but are CLEAN, then no problem.

Locolala, it's funny you should post that. The last time DH and I went to OG, there was a girl there in that exact outfit. :laughing:

When she came out, she joined some other teens. I thought there might have been some adults in the group, but with the entryway so crowded at Olive Garden it was hard to tell. She was certainly with enough teens for them to have been on their own. And they were of driving age, so who knows?

I think one reason it struck me as so odd was that she didn't look like the sort of teen you'd "expect" to see changing a BAB at Olive Garden, if you really ever did expect to see a teen changing a BAB at Olive Garden. :rotfl: KWIM? She was dressed stylishly, her hair and makeup were perfect and applied like someone who had been working on their looks for years instead of a teen who has just started worrying about her appearance. You know, the 16-17 year old who is going on 25.... Usually when you see girls doing "youngish" things like changing BABs on a changing table, they LOOK youngish and dress youngish, not like they're getting ready to go clubbing.

So no, I didn't LMAO in her presence. Maybe she was autistic. My hunch, given everything, is not so much. I think she was just quirky in the most basic sense of the word. I used to teach 12-16 y.o.s and I saw a few of the girls go through stages where they wanted to carry dolls again. Even the most "normal" teen can be weird at times. ;) There is always the possibility that she was on a dare or lost a bet. :idea:

Perhaps it was a school project for life and family class and they ran out of dolls? That would explain why she was changing two of them - hers and one of her friends. They probably had to log when they changed them, etc.

Society is becoming more casual, more self centered and more entitled. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
You know, it's very possible that the people that are 'becoming more casual' are not the ones that are becoming 'more self centered and more entitled'.

:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter