Dressing children

critters07

Earning My Ears
We are set to leave Sunday for Disney and cruise May 10th (3 day cruise).
I was wondering if my youngest boys (6 and 8) can wear dress shorts,sandals and a polo shirt or do they have to were pants? I hate to over pack.

Also should I bring towels or are towels provided at the pool?

Thanks!

Donna

*most* reponses will be that shorts are fine for kids. Dress code is an often debated topic.

Towels you can leave at home, they will have them available near the pools & when you exit the ship in port.

ENJOY!!!!

My boys wear khaki shorts, polo shirts and nice sandals. I do bring them one pair of khaki pants for the "dress up" night.

Ditto the earlier poster-do not bring towels.

Have fun!

Last week when we were on board, we found out that you have to go to the pool areas to get the towels (except on CC, where they are handed out as you leave the ship). Our first experience with needing towels was on GC day (tender boat), so as we're waiting in the Buena Vista theater for the first tender to be ready (we didn't do a DCL excursion and so had to meet in there), DH had to run up to deck 9 to get them before we boarded the tender. He was close to missing it!

Last week when we were on board, we found out that you have to go to the pool areas to get the towels (except on CC, where they are handed out as you leave the ship). Our first experience with needing towels was on GC day (tender boat), so as we're waiting in the Buena Vista theater for the first tender to be ready (we didn't do a DCL excursion and so had to meet in there), DH had to run up to deck 9 to get them before we boarded the tender. He was close to missing it!

Maybe a silly question, but couldn't you just get an extra towel or two the afternoon/evening before?

We only pack one pair of long pants & have them take it off right after dinner to save for wear again on semiformal night.

We pack nice docker style shorts for the other nights, but pack only about
2 - 3 of them since they can usually reuse them as well. Don't forget you can wear your pirate attire one night to dinner which makes it more casual. And you kids may not dine in the main dining room one night, if you're going to Palo and choose to feed them at Topsiders, by the pool, or my boys' favorite room service while we get gussied up. There is also usually one night when the boys have just had too much fun/sun or are too wound up to sit through a formal meal and we let them eat w/ the kids club. They enjoy doing this once on the trip b/c of an event that is immediately following it that they want to be part of. Check the navigators to pre-plan some of this.

We pack nice polos or short sleeve dressier shirts. (Having boys I can honestly say we could almost never reuse those--somebody always gets somethng on the them or more likely wipes something on them :lmao: )

My boys were 4 & 7 on our 1st cruise and 6 & 9 on our 2nd.

We do not bring dress shoes at all. We have one pair of nice sandals that they can use. In the formal pictures, you don't see the kids feets. In some of the photos, they post the whole family w/o shoes on a white backdrop.

Yes, there is debate on this but we have noticed that many people allow their kids to wear nice shorts w/ a nice polo/shirt. I also think that the younger the child is, the more likely it is for that child to be dressed down more. No one will EVER say anything to you about your children's attire. Do what's most comfortable for your family.

Towels--your rooms steward can bring you extra towels the night before an excursion. On CC they have them there for you--I think. :confused:

Maybe a silly question, but couldn't you just get an extra towel or two the afternoon/evening before?

Of course you could, but since we thought they were handed out as you left the ship, we didn't do this. I'm just mentioning this since our first need for a towel was on a tender day. If we had needed towels at our first port (KW), we would have known about it for GC, but since there's no beach on KW, we didn't think twice about not being handed a towel on that day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to not expect a towel handed to you as you're leaving the ship, like we did.

Of course you could, but since we thought they were handed out as you left the ship, we didn't do this. I'm just mentioning this since our first need for a towel was on a tender day. If we had needed towels at our first port (KW), we would have known about it for GC, but since there's no beach on KW, we didn't think twice about not being handed a towel on that day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to not expect a towel handed to you as you're leaving the ship, like we did.

thanks - good to know! :)

You could always bring the khaki pants that have the zip off shorts part. DS6 has a nice pair of khakis that I didn't even know did this until he came home from school on a warm day and had on shorts. We brought him one pair for the whole cruise. He only wore them to dinner on 4 of the 7 nights. One night was pirate night, one was formal (wore a tux) and one night he ate at the club while the adults went to Palo. Some febreze spray and you're good to go.

If you go on a DCL excursion they have a huge container full of towels so you don't have to run up to deck 9. We did an excursion on our own and totally forgot towels. Oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter