Dress suggestions for a NYC (suburb) evening wedding

majimikate

Mouseketeer
We are attending my husband's cousin's wedding next month, and it's a Saturday evening affair. The bride and groom are New Yorkers, an attorney and banking executive, and are getting married outside the city in Connecticut. I've got several black dresses, (and would love to buy another!) but would love some suggestions from the crowd attending/who attends that kind of wedding on a regular basis. I'm 45, but haven't dressed for an evening wedding in quite a while, and not one this upscale. Suggestions are greatly appreciated, as are links, many thanks! :)

I was in NYC 2 weeks ago, and women are wearing straight/short dresses. With lots of pretty necklaces and earrings. I posted about the short boots they are wearing too.
I think you can just wear about anything, except a dress that looks like a brides dress, white, that is still a big no no. But I saw lots of little black cocktail dresses too.

I was in NYC 2 weeks ago, and women are wearing straight/short dresses. With lots of pretty necklaces and earrings. I posted about the short boots they are wearing too.
I think you can just wear about anything, except a dress that looks like a brides dress, white, that is still a big no no. But I saw lots of little black cocktail dresses too.
I don't think a shift dress and ankle boots would be appropriate for a NYC night time wedding. I would stick with the cocktail attire.

We are attending my husband's cousin's wedding next month, and it's a Saturday evening affair. The bride and groom are New Yorkers, an attorney and banking executive, and are getting married outside the city in Connecticut. I've got several black dresses, (and would love to buy another!) but would love some suggestions from the crowd attending/who attends that kind of wedding on a regular basis. I'm 45, but haven't dressed for an evening wedding in quite a while, and not one this upscale. Suggestions are greatly appreciated, as are links, many thanks! :)

What is the cousin's vibe? Was a dress code listed? There will be a big difference between cocktail attire, semi-formal, or formal.

Those women were going to work. There's no way they would wear those outfits to a wedding.

OP, just go with a cute cocktail dress and accessories. Pretty much all of the weddings I've attended here (I live in Brooklyn)have been night weddings. Everyone wears cute DRESSY dresses.

But those were women going to work.

I usually wear dressy cocktail dresses or floor length gown.

Rent the Runway sounds like a really good option for this. I would go for high quality chic, not trendy.

I live in CT, and for an evening wedding, black cocktail dress is like a uniform for most. Add some sparkle and you're all set.

I have looked at Rent the Runway, so many fabulous choices! One of the things I was wondering was long or short, and definitely dressy, of course. I tried in a couple of long ones, but didn't find one that seemed right. Looks like it's time to look only at shorter ones. If anyone has a suggestion and would like to link to it, I'd be grateful. There's so many to choose from! I need jewelry too....and no free weekends between now and the wedding. Looks like online shopping it is! Thanks to all for your thoughts so far.

I like Nordstrom for dresses. You can search dresses for weddings, cocktail, formal, etc., by color, length, fit... Free shipping both ways, so order a few to try on at home.

Where in CT?

My son got married in Hudson Valley and dresses ranged from Cocktail to fancy daytime- his was at a Country Club

Ooh that sound like it might be more Rustic?

His wedding was at Paramount Country club...lower Hudson south of Bear Mnt

I like Nordstrom for dresses. You can search dresses for weddings, cocktail, formal, etc., by color, length, fit... Free shipping both ways, so order a few to try on at home.
I realized when you posted that some of my best/favorite dresses have come from Nordstrom. I have a dress I bought for my cousins weddings in 2004/2007 respectively that I still have, still fit and I still wear. Great suggestion.

At Lion Rock Farm in Sharon, CT. I live in the Hudson Valley, where did your son get married?
a simple short black dress would be good, see if you can find a little black jacket for over it. where are you from in the Hudson valley. I live by hunter mountain now, but I was born and raised in ulster county

I's go with a cocktail dress for that setting. Looking at the pictures if the venue it didn't seem long full formal or even long semi formal would "fit".

Nordstrom makes dress shopping incredibly easy. Love the free shipping and no time limit on returns. Plus, the website has a huge selection of cocktail/wedding guest dresses.

Op-also get the "low down" on exactly which venue on the property is the wedding

My niece had her wedding at a Vineyard mid October in northern NC a couple years ago
Lovely set up next to a stream....then 1 1/2 hours later as night fell-so did the temp.........it was in a covered open air pavilion/barn thing with NO HEATERS. We all froze=I had a dress no stockings and a light short sleeve sweater/shrug (except my smart SIL who decided to wear a long peasant skirt , boots and a heavy sweater!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter