dress codes

fcrouch

Mouseketeer
We were fortunate to eat at both Palo and Remys on our Dream cruise (3/13). I wore a jacket and tie each night, dress slacks, dress shirt. My wife was dressed appropriately as well. We enjoy dressing up for dinner and have no issues with the dress codes. And it seemed DCL might actually be enforcing the dress code....in Palo, the hostess advised people checking in behind us that the gentlemen would need to change out of jeans and that the ship could supply a blazer and I believe in fact the ship provided blazers for the guys to wear......then when we were having dinner, the couple at the table next to us: both wore jeans and the guy was in a nice t-shirt (no collar) - so apparently the dress code wasn 't enforced as to that couple (I will say that the couple who were not dressed to conform to the requested attire were sort of rushed through dinner - they were seated after us but were finished well before us - maybe they wanted to rush through, I don't know).

In the Meridian bar, the hostess did come in and tell a woman that jeans weren't allowed, the woman said she had nothing but jeans in her bags and she agreed to leave - though she didn't leave for a while.

In Remy everyone was dressed in accordance with the code until the last people we saw seated - no jackets, no ties, but at least not jeans or a t-shirt (I know tie isn't required).

I do think DCL should be a bit more consistent in applying the dress code but DCL at least seems to be taking a little action to enforce it (however had I been the guys who had to go change out of jeans and wear a ship provided blazer and then noticed the couple with jeans and the gentleman in a t-shirt....I might have been a little irritated that the code was enforced against some but not all). And I'm all in favor of the dress code being enforced.

Just curious if anyone else had seen the borrowed blazers, people asked to change, etc.

On the Magic, my adult daughter was asked to change. The matre d' told her that he would normally allow her outfit (implying that he has some discretion!), but that he had asked a young man to change out of jeans and thus couldn't allow her to wear them. She didn't hesitate at all, saying she was sorry that she just hadn't thought about the requirements...and he said that it WAS a nice, dressy outfit, but was still technically "jeans." She was wearing a new, clean tastefully embroidered denim jacket and pants.

Frankly, I'm with the CM--we just weren't thinking when she put it on. It is technically jeans, even if they are dressed up, embellished jeans. I felt that the CM went the extra mile in being VERY nice to her. He could have just said, "I'm sorry, miss...but jeans are not allowed in Palo. Will you please change and return." When she came back, a couple at another table mentioned to her that her outfit was "lovely," but that they had heard the young man being sent to change.

I'm with you that they need to enforce the written policy...not enforce in a spotty manner.

We have witnessed people being turned away from Palo in jeans as well as men wearing shorts. The rest of their party waited for them in the lobby area while they went to change.

Why would people wear jeans on a cruise? :confused3

Because at the ripe old age of 19, that's basically what they wear. The wardrobe is shorts, jeans, and "which character shall I have on my shirt today?" It is what she wears to college, to her job, and to "hang out."

Oh yeah, this is the kid who wants to wear a fully blown ball gown on formal night.

I was planning on wearing jeans most evenings apart from the formal nights? Is this not in accordance with the rules Disney have?

to my knowledge and experience, the dress code in Palo has always been enforced on all the ships.

I was planning on wearing jeans most evenings apart from the formal nights? Is this not in accordance with the rules Disney have?

Pretty sure I've read that jeans are fine on the non-formal nights. I believe they ask that you don't wear shorts in the dinning rooms (at dinner), but nothing about no jeans.

IN the "olden days" there used to be a "no jeans" request in the dining room. That was removed from DCL's literature and web site several years ago.

I think it is nice to dress up for the formal nights and my family will be doing so, but every working day of my life I wake up and get suited and booted, during vacation it is nice to relax, get dressed up in whatever I feel comfortable in at the time and enjoy a nice meal, in nice surroundings and with the family whom I love very much... Without worrying about what everyone is wearing...

We sure wish that they would go back to the old ways:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

the old ways are old and DCL has recognized that the majority of their guests don't want to have to deal with a dress code in the main dining rooms. Palos and Remy are a different situation, and prove those who choose to have a dressy experience a venue to do so.

I think it is nice to dress up for the formal nights and my family will be doing so, but every working day of my life I wake up and get suited and booted, during vacation it is nice to relax, get dressed up in whatever I feel comfortable in at the time and enjoy a nice meal, in nice surroundings and with the family whom I love very much... Without worrying about what everyone is wearing...

I couldn't have put it better:worship:

Well I have never been in a cruise but I know that for the nights that are NOT formal I will wear my jeans. Im sorry but I feel comfortable in jeans. I plan to dress for the semi formal night and formal night. Palo is on my list too.

Taken form the Disney cruise:
Dinner attire is "cruise casual," meaning no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Palo diners will want to dress up a bit more than when dining at Lumiere's or Triton's, though Guests are free to dress up for any dinner. A Personal Navigator—Disney Cruise Line's daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—will arrive at your stateroom daily with dressing advice for that night's dinner.

So Im pretty sure that jeans is perfect attire for the main dinning rooms.

I do have a question: Other than Remy and Palo what other place do you have to dress up?? I did not find anywhere is the DCL website that said they dont allowed jeans at some bars.

Because at the ripe old age of 19, that's basically what they wear. The wardrobe is shorts, jeans, and "which character shall I have on my shirt today?" It is what she wears to college, to her job, and to "hang out."

Oh yeah, this is the kid who wants to wear a fully blown ball gown on formal night.

If I could get away with wearing a gown I would. But I'll settle for my sometimes over the top cocktail dresses :rotfl2: I always dress up on the cruise. I like to treat it like an old fashioned ocean liner. :goodvibes:

Are jackets required at Palo. My husband planned on wearing slacks and a dress shirt with no tie. There are so many different posts about this that I am confused. We will be on a three day cruise on the Dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter