Dress codes at signature dining?

lazydazy8

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are leaving in 18 days for our "big kid" weekend. We decided since we don't have our kids this trip (which I am totally excited about and a little bummed about at the same time!) that we'd try some restaurants that we don't ordinarily do with our kids on our annual trips. We are flying Delta for the first time (paying per bag-ugh), so I am doing everything I can to pack light. Could you help me out with dress codes for the following restaurants? I plan to wear a little dress at each place, but my hubby hates to change out of shorts! If he wears nicer khaki shorts, is he okay to wear them with a button down or do you think he needs to wear pants?

California Grill
Blue Zoo
Nacoose's
Brown Derby (lunch)

TIA!!

Nie Khaki shorts with a polo shirt will work at any restaurant except for V&A. I am always amazed at what some people will wear to a nice restaurant (the stained t-shirt they'd been sweating in all day with flip flops, etc....).

Brown Derby generally allows park-wear. The restaurants with the more stringent requirements include Artist Point, Bistro de Paris, California Grill, Citrico's, Flying Fish, Fulton's Crab House, Il Mulino, Jiko's, Narcoossee's, Portobello Yacht Club, Shula's, Todd English's bluezoo, Wolfgang Puck Dining Room and Yachtsmen Steakhouse.

Well I'm no expert on this subject but from what I have gathered your DH should be just fine with a nice pair of Khaki shorts. I know that is what I plan on having mine wear with a nice button down shirt. The only problem for us is going to be the shoes. We are also flying Delta (which I have never had a problem with and my family swears by!) and trying to keep costs down...his big ol size 13 dress shoes will probably take up my whole bag lol.

Well I'm no expert on this subject but from what I have gathered your DH should be just fine with a nice pair of Khaki shorts. I know that is what I plan on having mine wear with a nice button down shirt. The only problem for us is going to be the shoes. We are also flying Delta (which I have never had a problem with and my family swears by!) and trying to keep costs down...his big ol size 13 dress shoes will probably take up my whole bag lol.

I am not packing my husband's size 13 dress shoes!! I'd rather have my entire ditty bag and hair dyer! He will have flip flops on!! Whether it's long pants or shorts!

My husband and I would have words if he wanted to wear flip flops, especially to bluezoo.

Shorts for lunch with a nice collared shirt definitely but short pants at dinner at a Signature? You're paying for the wonderful experience as well as the food. Since this is your first "big kids" trip, couldn't you find room for light-weight trousers and a perma-press shirt? How about your DH wearing them down on the plane with a pair of loafers? For myself, I am sorry to go to a Signature restaurant and see guests in very casual clothes.
I think it's lovely that you are sorry not to be taking your kids! You may feel differently after your trip:laughing:

We've seen plenty of men in cargo shorts and sandals at the signature restaurants in the evening. There is no dress code anymore, except no tank tops on men, no swim suits, no torn jeans and no offensive pictures or sayings on t-shirts.

We expect good food and nice wine at the signature restaurants. We don't care what our fellow diners wear. We do, however, care that they keep their children quiet and well behaved -- or take them out of the restaurant.

It amazes me how much some people allow others to effect their vacation. I honestly do not remember what anyone else at any of our signatures meals were wearing because it did not effect my family or our meal. For all I know, the entire table next to us was in their jammies and slippers but we were too busy having a magical dinner of our own to even notice.

So if the OP's DH wants to wear nice khaki shorts, a polo and flip flops to their signature meals, I see nothing wrong with it. It doesn't violate their dress code and if it bothers someone else then really, they are the person with the issue not the OP's DH.

Shorts will be fine--cargo or dress. Footwear isn't even mentioned in the recommended dress code.
When we go in September, I'm often in shorts at all the Signature restaurants....

I think the dress code is a lot more relaxed now. Originally I believe flip flops weren't allowed; now they aren't even mentioned just no swimwear, tank tops, hats.

There is no dress code anymore
On the contrary: There is a dress code. It is just that a lot of people choose to do whatever they want instead of complying with the standards. This isn't a unique situation: There are many situations where people choose to do whatever they want rather than complying with standards, adhering to terms and conditions of the offers they accepted, and/or even following the law.

We don't care what our fellow diners wear.
We don't either, but the fact that it doesn't bother us doesn't mean it isn't the wrong thing to do.

We do, however, care that they keep their children quiet and well behaved -- or take them out of the restaurant.
Which is something for which Disney has posted no standard, yet you expect people to adhere to that more so than the dress code that they actually do publish?

Mystifying.

Hi! We are leaving in 18 days for our "big kid" weekend. We decided since we don't have our kids this trip (which I am totally excited about and a little bummed about at the same time!) that we'd try some restaurants that we don't ordinarily do with our kids on our annual trips. We are flying Delta for the first time (paying per bag-ugh), so I am doing everything I can to pack light. Could you help me out with dress codes for the following restaurants? I plan to wear a little dress at each place, but my hubby hates to change out of shorts! If he wears nicer khaki shorts, is he okay to wear them with a button down or do you think he needs to wear pants?

California Grill
Blue Zoo
Nacoose's
Brown Derby (lunch)

TIA!!

To answer your question, your dh will be fine at all of those restaurants with Khaki shorts. My dh hates pants too (LOL!) The only place where there is fairly strict dress code is V&A.

On the contrary: There is a dress code. It is just that a lot of people choose to do whatever they want instead of complying with the standards. This isn't a unique situation: There are many situations where people choose to do whatever they want rather than complying with standards, adhering to terms and conditions of the offers they accepted, and/or even following the law.

We don't either, but the fact that it doesn't bother us doesn't mean it isn't the wrong thing to do.

Which is something for which Disney has posted no standard, yet you expect people to adhere to that more so than the dress code that they actually do publish?

Mystifying.

Mystifying? Really? A screaming kid and a guy with flip flops. You don't see the difference. Hard to ignore a screaming kid, don't look at the guys feet, problem solved.

There is no standard because it is a parents duty. Disney is selling several products. It is wrong to expect people to pay $50 in luggage fees so that they are dressed properly as to decorate the restaurant for you. It's sometime too much to ask a person who has spent a day in a park to leave, take the very long bus journey to their hotel, leave that hotel to another portal that will take them to another hotel where their signature restaurant is located. I don't go on vacation to ride buses. I've never seen a dress code posted. I've never seen anyone in khaki shorts turned away. Women wear sandals with bare feet. Are we discriminating against men when we say they can't wear flip flops?

My DH is an executive, he, all the staff even the CEO and CFO of the company all wear Khaki pants and polo shirts to work. Most business dress down now. We watched the country club we belonged to go out of business because they were to rigid with their old time rules. No one wanted to get dressed to eat dinner there, so it was empty most nights. Time's change, Disney's adapted to the changes in dress codes, maybe everyone who judges others should give a little too.

Mystifying? Really? A screaming kid and a guy with flip flops. You don't see the difference.
On the contrary: Not only do I see the difference, I highlighted it: The guy in beachwear at Citricos is violating published standards, while a crying baby is just annoying.

Hard to ignore a screaming kid, don't look at the guys feet, problem solved.
By the same token, it is very easy for a guy to put on proper footwear, in compliance with the published standards, but comparatively difficult to keep a baby from ever crying.

There is no standard because it is a parents duty.
Correct, but keeping babies quiet is much harder than wearing the proper footwear.

Disney is selling several products. It is wrong to expect people to pay $50 in luggage fees so that they are dressed properly as to decorate the restaurant for you.
I couldn't care less about what people wear. What I care about is people respecting their hosts' rules. And no it is not wrong for Disney to expect people to comply with their published rules. You're simply wrong about that.

It's sometime too much to ask a person who has spent a day in a park to leave, take the very long bus journey to their hotel, leave that hotel to another portal that will take them to another hotel where their signature restaurant is located.
No it is not. Folks who find that process onerous should not schedule themselves in that manner. The standards are published, in advance. There is no surprise involved. People know what obligations they're taking on when they book their reservation. You're trying to rationalize selfish behavior.

Personally, I hate dressing up. I actually have never eaten at V&A's because of the dress code there. That's a responsible response to an issue with the dress code.

I've never seen a dress code posted.
That's ridiculous. Disney is practically maniacal about letting folks making reservations as Signature restaurants know that there is a dress code. If you choose to ignore their warning, that's on you, not on them.

I've never seen anyone in khaki shorts turned away.
Me neither. That's non-sequitur.

Women wear sandals with bare feet. Are we discriminating against men when we say they can't wear flip flops?
If men wore pretty sandals instead of beachwear, you'd have a point.

My DH is an executive, he, all the staff even the CEO and CFO of the company all wear Khaki pants and polo shirts to work.
I wear flannel shirts and denim jeans to work. That doesn't matter one bit.

Time's change, Disney's adapted to the changes in dress codes
I am all for that, but it is up to Disney to change their dress codes, not you, unilaterally, imposing your change on them and all their guests.

maybe everyone who judges others should give a little too.
I surely don't judge people for what they wear. My judgment stems solely from people selfishly failing to live up to their obligations, ignoring rules and terms and conditions that they don't like for their own personal comfort, and generally working the system because they're unwilling to accept what's offered and seemingly incapable of walking away when what they want to be offered isn't offered.

I'm sorry people got punchy over this topic, it wasn't my intention to begin a debate. I appreciate all your feedback very much.

I just wanted to share something that I found where someone from the Disney Mom panel defined the dress code for signature dining.

There is a dress code, where tank tops, swimwear, torn clothing and tee shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.

From you guys, it sounds like the long and short khakis are broadly scattered.

Thanks again guys!!

That's ridiculous. Disney is practically maniacal about letting folks making reservations as Signature restaurants know that there is a dress code. If you choose to ignore their warning, that's on you, not on them.

Narcoossee's:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/narcoossees/

•Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.

California Grill:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/california-grill/

•Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.

The only signature that is different is V&A. So apparently khaki shorts are in their published rules after all. No where is foot wear mentioned for men or women.

I apologize OP for this post, I should have let it go. It bothers me when someone posts a valid question here only to have someone post their rigid rules.

And notice the word is "guidelines"--what they suggest you wear.
The real code is what is actually prohibited.
So even tho "dress shorts" are suggested, cargo shorts (which abound in Disney signature restaurants) are not prohibited.

I've never seen a dress code posted.
Disney is practically maniacal about letting folks making reservations as Signature restaurants know that there is a dress code. If you choose to ignore their warning, that's on you, not on them.
So apparently khaki shorts are in their published rules after all.
Glad you were able to find the dress code. :thumbsup2

No where is foot wear mentioned for men or women.
That's very strange. I wonder if that came out in some recent revision. I distinctly remember something about prohibitions about beachwear.

Regardless, thanks for posting the up-to-date policy. Hopefully folks in this thread, now assuredly made aware of it, will comply with it voluntarily.

Narcoossee's:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/narcoossees/

•Dress Code Guidelines:

California Grill:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/california-grill/

•Dress Code Guidelines:

The only signature that is different is V&A. So apparently khaki shorts are in their published rules after all. No where is foot wear mentioned for men or women.

I apologize OP for this post, I should have let it go. It bothers me when someone posts a valid question here only to have someone post their rigid rules.

No apology necessary! I appreciate the full clarification! We aren't exactly "rule breaker" kind of people, so I will definitely be more comfortable now!

Plus, if someone else attempts a search of the forum with the same key words I did, this thread will come up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter