• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dress code

macege

Earning My Ears
Hi:
Are suit jackets and/or ties required at Palos? What about for formal night. My husband NEVER dresses up, so do we need to invest in a sport coat and pack a tie?
Thanks
Chris

We were in Palo last week for dinner and EVERY man in there was wearing at least a jacket and tie (Yeah pants and shoes too :) ), with some wearing tuxes. Brunch and High tea was golf shirt and slacks. I am not someone that gets into this dressing up but have to admit this last cruise was fun doing so. I wore the same suit for formal and semi formal and it was more just because of space for travelling.
If you don't get all duded up hey its not the end of the world but I was surprised and admit I enjoyed the experience more wearing the suit. This is contrary to my thoughts and feelings before going this time. (Geez I hate it when I'm wrong!) ;)

Cheers,
Grumbo

Originally posted by Grumbo
We were in Palo last week for dinner and EVERY man in there was wearing at least a jacket and tie (Yeah pants and shoes too :) ), with some wearing tuxes. Brunch and High tea was golf shirt and slacks.
It sounds as though Gumbo might have been in Palo on the Disney Magic's formal night. The suggested dress for dinner at Palo is simply "jacket recommended," not "suit and tie required," and not "every night is formal night at Palo." Nobody should feel that a suit and tie is a requirement (although that would certainly be appropriate).

I wore a dress slacks, dress shirt, tie, and blazer. But it would be fine to wear a blazer over resort casual attire, such as Dockers and a polo shirt.

Jeans or shorts are not appropriate, and would be likely to get the guest turned away.

My husband brought a nice pair of suit pants, nice shirt, nice tie and GOOD shoes. No jacket.

We are traveling in the summer and it does'nt make sense to pack a wool blend jacket for one dinner.

LisaCA

Originally posted by CACruiser
We are traveling in the summer and it does'nt make sense to pack a wool blend jacket for one dinner.
I could see that on the 3- and 4-night cruises on the Disney Wonder (especially if you don't plan to go to Palo), even though they recommend a jacket for Triton's.

But, on 7-night cruises on the Disney Magic, there's a formal night, a semi-formal night, and optional dinner at Palo. So there are up to three nights when a jacket is suggested. Technically, "formal" means a tuxedo or a dark business suit. If someone doesn't want to bother with a tuxedo or suit, it would be a good idea at least to wear a dress shirt, tie, and blazer (preferably a black or navy blazer).

Horace come to think of it you're exactly right. It WAS formal night that we were in Palo.

Anyway the jacket and tie was great but if you don't go with that I am far from the last person to care. Go with what makes you comfortable. I'm not getting involved in Formal/casual wars on here :) Well not right now anyway ;)

Cheers,
Grumbo

What is the difference between a "Sportcoat" and a "Blazer" for men? Is there a specific distinction? Many thanx if you can help clear this up in my mind!

~Nancy~

OK Grumbo - Which one is more? - The blazer or Sportcoat?

I plan on taking a Sportcoat uh blazer - Here I am a guy and do not even know the difference between the two. Let me try again. I am taking one nice jacket and will wear a nice pair of slacks to Palo. For the semi-formal and formal, I just plan on wearing my "nice" jacket, dress shirt, pair of slacks. The other nights will be khakis, hawaian shirts and sandals. I almost always "forget" to pack my tie though. This is as uncomfortable as, hmmm let me see, say a woman wearing a girdle. Who in the world ever invented the tie anyway. I could use my tie to strangle them. - Mike:

I was lucky enough to go to Palo FOUR times last cruise.

I got to saw a large sample of wear.

I will admit, that I always wore a tie but it was not necessary.

A classic male outfit of :

Nice slacks,
Polo Shirt, and
(Blue) blazer

Was perfect.

It will be my attire at least one palo night next time

Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter